how to string tiny beads?

StevieBoy

I see alot of strands of 2-4mm faceted gemstones that are causing my imagination to go wild!
But... how does one securely string these beads into a necklace?

Would I rethread them onto permanent thread/wire/silk?

Surely I wouldnt knot between each one?

Rely on crimp beads & connectors?

I would love to see and hear how any of you have utilized such tiny beads in your designs!

Tourmaline strand

I am generally not a fan of beading wire however, with tiny gemstone beads it is probably the best option. Soft Touch Beading Wire in the Very Fine (.010in/.25mm) size made by SoftFlex Company works with most small gemstone beads drilled in India. This is just my own experience.

I second beading wire and crimp beads, or you risk sharp edges of the drill holes cutting the thread.

No, you wouldn't knot between each bead. You'll want the look of the beads right next to each other.

PS. I love the look of those colors and multiple strands together.

Last edited:
StevieBoy, I tried to pull up three different examples for you of what I have done with some of my wired strands. I use the same wire that Marianne suggested- SoftFlex fine or very fine. The wire works fine, it’s the crimped ends that can look a little unfinished but sometimes there is no other way to use certain beads.

On this strand, the drill holes of the tiny pearls were big enough to pull the wire back through before cutting. I usually go back through around 3 pearls before cutting the wire. I used a crimp bead and left it uncovered.
IMG_7965.jpeg

For this strand, the beads were too tiny to go back through, so I added three glass beads on each end. You could just cut the wire off at the crimp bead, but I find that it doesn’t center as well. I use these clear glass beads for everything, but you could better match your beads if you’re more picky than me.
IMG_7972.jpeg

For this strand, I used gimp (French wire) to cover the wire on the ends and also used crimp bead covers to cover the flat crimp bead. I find the covers a little fussy to get right, and then have to redo the whole strand in order to remove the cover, so I don’t often use them.
IMG_7970.jpeg

There’s no wrong way other than just wanting the wire ends to be secure.

Thanks, BWeaves. Yes, there’s a tool that will crimp the bead into more of a tube shape by kind of folding it in half. I debated about which to use, but the person at the bead shop said that if you pinch too hard with that tool, it can cut through the bead. I could see myself doing that, so I just use regular flat pliers to smash the bead.

I now prefer the little crimp beads that have a screw to tighten over the wires. Instead of flattening the crimp, you tighten the screw. For extra security you can add a drop of glue, but I don't find it necessary as one can always tighten the screw if needed (but I've never needed to). If I were selling my jewelry I'd glue the crimp.

On my better strands I use a 3mm to 4mm gold bead and slightly open the hole so the crimp bead fits inside. Its a nice finished look on nicer strands. Gold filled and rhodium silver is what I use on cheaper strands. Sometimes i even use gold beads by the French wire when using silk and use a longer piece so they both go in the bead hole for a polished look, and sometimes to add a little length.
IMG_1235 (2).JPG
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_2006 2.JPG

I now prefer the little crimp beads that have a screw to tighten over the wires. Instead of flattening the crimp, you tighten the screw. For extra security you can add a drop of glue, but I don't find it necessary as one can always tighten the screw if needed (but I've never needed to). If I were selling my jewelry I'd glue the crimp.
Does the silver and gold discolor over time? These look cool...

Back