Exotics!!!

Caitlin, I know you posted some pics of the gorgeous strand that Jeremy gifted you with but did you post any of the earrings? I'd love to see them...

I'm off to view the Ruckus posts again.

No I didn't, but they look like the ones in the special offer. They are huge, but the big, flat silicone backs help them not to point south when worn!

The good photo is the pair of Jeremy's I thought looked most like mine. Credit to Natalie.
the small blurry photo is my pair the color is ok.

Attachments

• metallic pearl 2.jpg
    metallic pearl 2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I feel quite sorry for Jeremy, having such high expectations on him!

I'd go under if it was me that had to do all that work, and with so many people looking forward to it.

Well, I've been passing up this, that, and the other lately. I've been quite strong and centered about things. Then I saw these and LOST IT. Just LOST IT. I glazed over and ordered a pair before I could think straight. ;-)

Now I have to WAIT!!! Aaaahhhhhhhaiiiiiiaiaiia!!

I've been quite strong and centered about things. Then I saw these and LOST IT. Just LOST IT...

I hear you. In general, I feel that way about even the potential for exotics and knew this was coming for awhile...although I wasn't sure precisely what form it would take. Just stunning selections. Now the waiting...and time to keep catching up on everything to distract myself. :)

I've been passing up on lots of things... And I'll try to keep doing so until the exotics comes around. I think like this, you can always get nice tahitians, nice freshwaters and the other pearls that the vendors always keep in their stock, but exotics you have to wait for and when they're available you better make sure you're able to get some! ;)

I've been passing on a lot of stuff too just on the hope that some FW exotics will come up. I love, love, love the colors and mirror on them. I'm trying not to feel guilty every time I make a pearl purchase. Because I'm still in school I feel like I really shouldn't.... but then again:rolleyes:

I'm trying not to feel guilty every time I make a pearl purchase.
Don't bother feeling guilty; you have contracted a serious case of pearlitis. It can't be helped, though it will slow down a bit as your collection grows.

This site has a huge support group for pearlitis.

Don't bother feeling guilty; you have contracted a serious case of pearlitis. It can't be helped, though it will slow down a bit as your collection grows.

This site has a huge support group for pearlitis.

Very true.

Pearlitis? Good to know -- it's almost as if I feel like I can never have too many....must control myself at times. I find myself spending copious amounts of time looking for the next pearl buy or thinking about the coming gem faire, 3 months down the road. It's so good I know I have support out there because once caught, I think it might be incurable!

Just fabulous pairs! :). Would love some :D. Are those pearls untreated and with natural colours?

Maria

I seem to recall that last time (2008) they had luster treatment but that the colors are natural, and assume the same is true of these recent ones.

Below, is part of a quote from Jeremy, post 39, in this thread.

What makes the metallic luster in freshwater? I don't know. It is a question I asked when we first started finding them a few years ago. It is not something that is typical. When Doug and I went to a second-stage factory in Weitang, we looked through lots that had not been processed yet, they were only separated by shape and size. Going through the giant baskets, we found a few pearls that were just amazing. They had that striking metallic luster, and it was not from processing. It was natural. I collected as many rounds as I could find, but it was only enough to make about one strand.

I don't think it is metals in the water. The metal issue was one company in Japan that was injecting metals into the pearl sacs of akoya. I think it is just a rare phenomenon, because the pearls we sifted through all came from the same harvest, but only one pearl out of every thousand or so had a strange, metallic luster.

Gail

If you do a search there has been extensive discussion about these two techniques. Polishing pretty much gets rid of surface particles, and luster treatment involves temperature treatments or chemicals to "tighten" nacre surface, which normally do not last as it alters the structure of the nacre.

If you do a search there has been extensive discussion about these two techniques. Polishing pretty much gets rid of surface particles, and luster treatment involves temperature treatments or chemicals to "tighten" nacre surface, which normally do not last as it alters the structure of the nacre.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but this sums it up perfectly!

I received my pearls today. I ordered them loose/unset and paid a little extra for quick delivery. They are quite beautiful!

Gail

Ah, good! Thank you for the summary. I've read and reread threads but somehow it eluded me.

Back