Exotics!!!

Beth, I hope you will post some photos of your trip! I just Googled Hadrian's Wall and the scenery looks gorgeous.

I'm in love with the $450 set .... if i wasn't going on holiday next week...... The person who gets those is going to be very very lucky!

Elizabeth

Beth C: I love those too! I can't really afford them right now, though. I know there's lots of fans of that colour on this forum so I expect they'll be gone really soon. :)

How do you get on the PP mailing list? I get notices of the monthly sales but not for specials such as these exotics. Or maybe that list is full since there are very limited quantities?

Thanks!

P.S. The exotics are gorgeous!

Jeremy, will the strands you're working on be small pearls or big pearls like these?

The strands will be smaller. It would simply be too expensive to make full strands from these pearls, although the necklaces would be unreal. The strands we are working on will be composed of loose-grade metallic, so the pearls will be very near perfect round, have the rare colors, and that ball-bearing look that the larger ones have. Personally, I feel the new exotics are going to be far superior to those 1.5 years ago.

Beautiful pearls Jeremy! Did anyone here get any of them? I couldn't this time around. Hopefully next time.

I got the email and it should be no surprise to anyone that the pearls are stunning!!

I really want a pair of those golds!

You rock Jeremy.:cool:

The strands will be smaller. It would simply be too expensive to make full strands from these pearls, although the necklaces would be unreal. The strands we are working on will be composed of loose-grade metallic, so the pearls will be very near perfect round, have the rare colors, and that ball-bearing look that the larger ones have. Personally, I feel the new exotics are going to be far superior to those 1.5 years ago.

Wow, the ones over a year ago were stunning. I bought two strands ( well actually a third later too), and I wear them more than any of my other stands. Can't wait to see what the new ones are like.

I agree with Casey. The exotics I have are the most beautiful pearls I have! I love them so much. I have gotten sooo many compliments on them, especially the ovals.

Will the prices be about the same as the exotic offer back in 2008? Sorry if seems like a bad or rude question.

I had to pass this time -it's my husband's vacation right now and we're off to NYC tomorrow...gotta leave some spending money. :p

However I will be very interested in the upcoming strands. I love the ones I have and have received many compliments.

Absolutely interested in a strand! The big pearls are gorgeous but too big for my ears. But I could look at them all day long!! Kate

Does anyone know how or why freshwater pearls develope the metallic luster as opposed to a (for lack of a better word) "regular" luster?

Gail

Thanks, Mervione. I remember reading something like that, too, but I am pretty sure (and hope) the article was referring to Akoyas.

Gail

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't comment yet on the cost of the strands compared to the last offering. It really depends upon the cost to put them together, which is yet to be completely determined. One thing I can say, however, is that the strands are going to be in half-millimeter increments instead of full. Last time we were going for unusual colors, with only a few of the strands exhibiting that striking, metallic luster. This time, the focus is on the metallic.

What makes the metallic luster in freshwater? I don't know. It is a question I asked when we first started finding them a few years ago. It is not something that is typical. When Doug and I went to a second-stage factory in Weitang, we looked through lots that had not been processed yet, they were only separated by shape and size. Going through the giant baskets, we found a few pearls that were just amazing. They had that striking metallic luster, and it was not from processing. It was natural. I collected as many rounds as I could find, but it was only enough to make about one strand.

I don't think it is metals in the water. The metal issue was one company in Japan that was injecting metals into the pearl sacs of akoya. I think it is just a rare phenomenon, because the pearls we sifted through all came from the same harvest, but only one pearl out of every thousand or so had a strange, metallic luster.

The strands we are putting together this time is being done with the help of a friend of mine in China. He is one Doug and I interviewed, and he was one of the speakers in Dubai. He is the chairman of large production and processing company. They are sorting out all the metallics in what they call their "top gem grade," and creating strands and pairs in all sizes for us. The first samples should be here in a couple of weeks and if we are happy with them, they are going to sort out as many as possible over the next two months.

Those last exotic necklaces were some of the best pearls I ever saw. The earrings Jeremy gifted me at the ruckus have an unbelievably magnificent metallic luster. Talk about mirror!

Back