Estate Pearls

Lynn Doud

These were in an estate I purchased. They feel smooth and I do not see any markings on the clasp. One strand is not attached (happened while I was taking pictures). Do they have any value?

Attachments

• PA160238.jpg
    PA160238.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 24
  • PA160239.jpg
    PA160239.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 35
  • PA160240.jpg
    PA160240.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 24
If you review this thread https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3592 from 2009 you'll see that La Tausca was a line of high quality faux pearls.

Faux pearls have no commercial value these days unless the clasp has a gold content and is stamped 14k or 10k or similar. If the clasp is real gold you should get the stones checked by a jeweler or gemologist, according to the eBay guide quoted in the thread La Tausca did use diamonds in some of their clasps.

Welcome, Lynn,

Pretty imitation pearls, and delightful shell shape box! Hope the strand can be reattached easily. Vintage jewelry has some value as a collectible, but not for the pearls. How great if the clasp were karat gold and diamond!

Last edited:
If you run a search for completed listings on eBay for La Tausca, as of now you will see one necklace that sold for $22 (probably for the value of the 14K "diamond" clasp), another erroneously listed under Fine Jewelry that sold for $20 (seller failed to mention they are imitation; buyer may have hoped they were real), and a bunch of unsold necklaces.

But there are a number of ornamental brass trinket boxes of the same brand that sold very nicely.

It's true that most pre-owned imitation pearls don't sell for much, if at all. Majorica brand are the only imitation pearls I know of that tend to sell well.

Back