Candled Pearls of My Necklace

Hulda

Hi,
After seeing the thread about “Candled Natural Pearls" I went and did the same thing to each pearl of my necklace. I've attached some images to share my experience in candling my pearls with you. They are between 8 mm and 9.5 mm. What do you think? The next thing I will do is the x-ray. Thank you for your input already!

02.jpg
00.jpg
07.jpg
00.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
011a.jpg
012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg
06.jpg

Huldah, the photo in post #5 is an out-and-out fake pearl. Artificial means fake.

If you click the link you posted under the photo, this is what the article says about the pearl:

"Here is a typical artificial pearl under a microscope. Without magnification, it looks pretty good, but zoom in and you can see that the smooth surface is disrupted near the drill hole."

Last edited:
Huldah, the photo in post #5 is an out-and-out fake pearl. Artificial means fake.

If you click the link you posted under the photo, this is what the article says about the pearl:

"Here is a typical artificial pearl under a microscope. Without magnification, it looks pretty good, but zoom in and you can see that the smooth surface is disrupted near the drill hole."

Thank you for the response! Actually, there is no evidence like that one below in any of the pearls. I own faux pearls and I know the difference. Image "5" is misleading you.

017.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, a natural pearl expert, is having a busy summer, however I'm sure he will eventually comment on this post. He will be good at interpreting the photos of your candled pearls.

Thank you for your reply! I’ll be waiting on the expert, Dave. In addition, I scheduled an appointment with the radiologist to have the whole necklace x-rayed in order to confirm each of the pearls.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Which pearls are your pearls and which pearls are just photos off the other website?

Can you post photos of your pearls laying on a white paper towel? And closeups of your pearl drill holes?

I'm confused. Which pearls are your pearls and which pearls are just photos off the other website?

Can you post photos of your pearls laying on a white paper towel? And closeups of your pearl drill holes?

BWeaves, you are not the only one who is confused!
I like your suggestion, though.

I'd be interested to see what Dave thinks; they look like vintage akoyas to me.

At first, these pearls presented as artificial. Not because of shape, size, but for lack of color, luster and orient. Artificial pearls most often appear as such when candled, but these views show contrasts similar to pearls.

In almost every pearl, conchiolin patches (and subsequent prismatic layers) mark the depth and position of the nucleus. In this case, the nuclei are near equal, large and round. None show as central, eccentric or absent. The conchiolin in these views are nearest to the surfaces than centers.

These are not natural pearls.

At first, these pearls presented as artificial. Not because of shape, size, but for lack of color, luster and orient. Artificial pearls most often appear as such when candled, but these views show contrasts similar to pearls.

In almost every pearl, conchiolin patches (and subsequent prismatic layers) mark the depth and position of the nucleus. In this case, the nuclei are near equal, large and round. None show as central, eccentric or absent. The conchiolin in these views are nearest to the surfaces than centers.

These are not natural pearls.

Thank you for your reply! I'm not in disagreement with anyone or in any competition. You evaluation means a lot and well respected. However, I will definitely proceed with the x-ray for a firm conclusion. Thank you so much!

- Hulda

I apologize for not adding more images. The photo below shows the orient - and the luster is so beautiful and sharp. They are very organic.

019.jpg

Last edited:
This photo is much better. They display the classic red/green overtones of Akoya (Pinctada fucata).

Akoya pearl is described as being white or cream, mostly a product of Japan, also having hints of rosé (pink) or green orient. The Akoya oyster “Pinctada fucata” is relatively small and it doesn’t usually produce a cultured pearl larger than 9 mm. My necklace is from the late 1920's to the 1930’s and some of the pearls are about 10mm. However, in the 1950's, 60's and 70's, 4mm to 6mm was the typical size for cultured pearls. Graduated necklaces were also popular - ranging from 3mm pearls to a central 7mm diameter. A necklace from this period with large pearls like this one were either faux or natural. In addition, I learned that natural pearls from Pinctada fucata are extremely rare. I believe the pearls are South Sea, from the 1930’s or late 1920’s. When looking through their drill holes I cannot seem to see any bead but a ball of nacre with a dark center. In addition, it hints a yellow orient as well (Pinctada maxima). In another word, if it’s Akoya it’s good enough for me. I’ll do the x-ray and put it to rest. Thank you!

I have one more question. What do you think of the 'ring' that situates near the drill hole (see image below)?

020.jpg

I have one more question. What do you think of the 'ring' that situates near the drill hole (see image below)?

One of my baroque akoyas has a partial ring or long indentation like that. Does your pearl's ring go all the way around or partially?
My baroque akoya strand is 9.5-10mm. Maybe yours are baroque akoyas, too?

Attachments

• partial ring in baroque akoya.jpg
    partial ring in baroque akoya.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back