Big Honking Bead Nucleated Freshwaters

Nerida,
The interesting question might be... what is the Perfect Pearl?

and that is the perfect question..

the answer, of course, depends on who you ask.

I don't necessarily think that the aim of bead nucleation is to produce a pearl with heavier nacre - it is, in my very humble, and maybe misguided, opinion, just to compete with the SS industry and get some of that market share...

I was able to get some bead nucleated CFWP, sizes range roughly from 9-11mm, shapes drop and oval to almost round. I smashed a couple of 11mm pearls (of course.. how else to know they really were bead nucleated lol) and found 6mm shell beads inside, so the nacre is pretty thick. None had the metallic lustre of the ones in Nerida's photo, more a soft glow to a high shine (ain't that technical lol). Colours were soft to strong (not many stronger colours) pale peach, pink and pale lilac, purple. Oh and white. The lady I buy from told me they call them Chinese South Sea Freshwater Pearls (though that doesn't really make sense it gets the idea accross).
I suppose I should find a photo.
They're lovely, not my personal favourites though; I like a bit more character. Still, iI had to see some in the real. I haven't seen any for a while, though that may mean nothing.

Attachments

• MoonglowGraduatedColourIntense.jpg
    MoonglowGraduatedColourIntense.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 39
o-kay.. only managed to upload one.. will have another go.
And to really be sure they are all bead nucleated means getting the hammer out and chasing them around the driveway again lol

Attachments

• MoonglowGraduatedColourIntense2.jpg
    MoonglowGraduatedColourIntense2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 45
  • MoonglowGraduatedColourIntense3.jpg
    MoonglowGraduatedColourIntense3.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 42
  • MoonglowGraduatedColourPale.jpg
    MoonglowGraduatedColourPale.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 35
  • MoonglowGraduatedColourPale2.jpg
    MoonglowGraduatedColourPale2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 37
  • MoonglowGraduatedColourPale3.jpg
    MoonglowGraduatedColourPale3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 37
  • PlumpOvalLavenderMoonglow.jpg
    PlumpOvalLavenderMoonglow.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 37
  • PlumpOvalLavenderMoonglow2.jpg
    PlumpOvalLavenderMoonglow2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 33
Its a few shots of three different strands... two are colour graduated (the strands I bought were singles of mixed colour and I was able to string them groupling the colour). The strand in the two bottom pics are just mixed in.

No, Pattye, I didn't smash anything - this was from the etremely reputable producer whose 20mm perfect pearls have been previously shown on the forum by Peter B at the Dubai conference. These ones too expensive to smash!! I don't have any doubts at all as to their origins.
Size... 11.3 to 13.6mm... they are yummy. I've just had to drool a little more whilst measuring them.

Yes, I understand! ;) How do you think the price would compare between tissue nucleated strands and bead nucleated strands of roughly the same quality and size?

Is that strand listed on your website???? I don't think I saw it when I looked---was it one I saw at the Rukus??

No, not on the website (like almost everything else I sell... I am a most recalcitrant online seller) - I have two, and yes, you saw one at the ruckus.
I have not seen a round/semi round tissue nucleated strand of a similar size with metallic lustre as intense as that on these pearls, so I can't really compare price. These pearls are definitely not perfectly round, but they look like they are! I do have some gorgeous tissue nuked metallic strands with smaller pearls (8mm or so?), but nothing this size. These just glow.

Cathy, these are lovely strands of yours! Not pale in my opinion at all. As I see it on my screen, some photos show quite high luster. I specially like some lilac/purple pearls in your necklaces. :)

Nerida, the multicolour is stunning. I quess you are keeping this one. And it seems like a perfect size ... for me at least. :)

"the increased length of time required to grow the pearl"
What is the reason for needing longer time growing the bead nuked fw? I understand that a year is needed forming/growing the pearl sac before inserting the bead but I figured maybe the nacre growing period is then shorter (comparing to tissue nuked). Or do the cultivators try to keep the bead in oyster as long as possible (as it is experimenting phase still)?

Thanks!
Maria

"the increased length of time required to grow the pearl"
What is the reason for needing longer time growing the bead nuked fw? I understand that a year is needed forming/growing the pearl sac before inserting the bead but I figured maybe the nacre growing period is then shorter (comparing to tissue nuked). Or do the cultivators try to keep the bead in oyster as long as possible (as it is experimenting phase still)?

Thanks!
Maria

Maria, after already growing a coin pearl or keshi pearl in an adult mussel, a bead is inserted into the existing pearl sac. The pearl may be left to grow in the mussel for 1 -2 years before harvesting, but the mussel may already be five years old before the large size bead is inserted into the already sizeable pearl sac. So we're talking of a process of several years.

I see. Wondered why the cultivating of the bead nuked fw took longer, but you were talking about the whole process (mussel usage period :) ).
Thanks, Miriam!

Maria

Back