baselworld swiss 2012 any pearl guiders around ?

Switzerland - a country against which I have a curious prejudice.

Have fun, any of you who are going there.

swiss is one of the best places in europe also one of the only places in europe where they keep there borders closed so that will probable make it one of the best places in europe hehe

i do like the german side better than swiss france side probable because i do speak german an my french skills suck :)

there will be a lot of pearls for sure because some of the world biggest natural pearl company s are swiss

hope to see some pgers there !

Switzerland's borders aren't that closed - we flew to Geneva when we went ski-ing in France over New Year, because Geneva was the closest airport.

They were most uninterested in our passports, crossing both ways.

The UK's borders, on the other hand, are pretty closed. Having a lot of sea in the way helps, of course.

Switzerland is wonderful. I spent two days in Lucerne in summer '2010 and absolutely loved it. It's prestine with a gorgeous 400 year old wooden bridge with beautiful carvings and when you look over the rails there are dozens of exquisite swan. The food is good--chocolate is delicious (not as good as in bruges though). I would get over the prejudice and pay a visit. :) However, they do indeed have the tightest borders. In order to be approved for permanent residency you have to have a college (preferably graduate degree) and have a net worth in excess of $1 Million US (sufficient to ensure you will not require participation in their national healthcare system). Crazy stuff right? Anywhere, here are some pictures to hopefully change your mind:

Europe%25202010%2520%2528Part%25202%2529%2520196.JPG

Europe%25202010%2520%2528Part%25202%2529%2520205.JPG

Europe%25202010%2520%2528Part%25202%2529%2520177.JPG

Europe%25202010%2520%2528Part%25202%2529%2520212.JPG

Europe%25202010%2520%2528Part%25202%2529%2520208.JPG

I've been to Switzerland - I first spent a week's holiday there when I was 3 years old, and since have spent a fortnight there. It's great in lots of ways, but very..... Swiss.....

Ok.. I lose. Well, I was reluctant to visit Germany, but I loved it--and Italy, which I expected to adore I was a bit disappointed by--go figure.

As an EEA national, I could move to Switzerland pretty easily, I think. Free movement of persons, innit.

As an EEA national, I could move to Switzerland pretty easily, I think. Free movement of persons, innit.
No way. Switzerland is not an European member and legaly, EU citizens are treated like any other aliens.

I get fat going to countries where they eat rice. No way I'm going where they eat chocolate.

No way. Switzerland is not an European member and legaly, EU citizens are treated like any other aliens.

I know Switzerland isn't an EU member. That's why I said "EEA", which covers some non-EU members, mostly members of EFTA.

However, I think you are right in that Switzerland is a member of EFTA, but not the EEA.

est and Alex - I think you are both right!

est190 I have similar photos of that beautiful bridge, and great memories of all sorts of beautiful architecture, scenery and amazingly efficient public transport around Switzerland - I have visited 2 or 3 times and always loved it. And yes Mikeyy, the chocolate is amazing! On the other hand - it is an incredibly difficult place for an expat to feel at home - one of my closest friends has been there about 6 years (now has permanent residency) but definitely is all so 'Swiss'.

Now Basel - I would love to be going, but sadly am not.

You really pick the most amazingly beautiful pearls, Daniel. What are your plans for them?

- Karin

Back