Baroque Akoyas from PP April 2015 special

Pearl Dreams I like the length of 18 inches on you and I want to replicate that look, do you think I need to shorten it to 16 or 17 inches. Here's another graduated round strand with 10.9mm pearl centre. It sits droops more on my neck and not as nicely rounded as your picture.

Graduated tahitian 10.9 mm center

kelluvpearls--

It's easy enough to experiment with changing the length of the necklace to see where it falls.

I think it's better to think in terms of fewer pearls rather than fewer inches. (It's not like you can shorten by half a pearl.)

Holding the opened strand one pearl in from the clasp on each side, hold the strand up to your neck and bring your fingers together to see how the strand would look with 2 pearls removed.

Repeat, holding 2 pearls on one side and 1 pearl on the other side (total of 3 pearls shorter.) The two pearls should be on the side where the tongue of the clasp is and the one pearl on the side where the larger part of the clasp is-- for a balanced look.
Repeat with shortening by 2 pearls on each side. (total of 4 pearls shorter.)

I'm guessing you will like it 2-3 pearls shorter. Extra pearls could be used for earrings.

Last edited:
Sorry about all the editing and re-editing! I kept thinking of modifications to make the post clearer.

Thank you Pearl Dreams! Your post is very helpful! I measured this strand and it is 17.5 inches long. I tried on some 8mm pearls and it was 16 inches and I like how it sits on me. I think I will go for 17 inches for 9.5 to 10mm including the clasp.

I get you now-- you were deciding the length of the baroque akoyas you've ordered. (I thought you meant to shorten your Tahitian strand.)

Yes, 17" might do it, or slightly shy of 17" (but not longer than 17"). If they can't do exactly 17" they should err on the shorter side IMO.

I get you now-- you were deciding the length of the baroque akoyas you've ordered. (I thought you meant to shorten your Tahitian strand.)

Yes, 17" might do it, or slightly shy of 17" (but not longer than 17"). If they can't do exactly 17" they should err on the shorter side IMO.
Excellent advice Pearl Dreams!

And then I carried on reading this thread...
All such beautiful baroques - blues, whites, blues whites...
Thank you for sharing and letting us dream!

Pearl Dreams and Ltlmsmfft, your new strands look lovely on you. Pearl Dreams, good to know the strand works well with WSS earrings. Ltlmsmfft, I really like the Allure earring setting with the blue baroque pearls.

Newberry, your necklace turned out beautifully! Is the pendant removable? I can't wait to see it IRL.

When I was at PP with Newberry last month, she convinced me I needed one of the white baroque strands too (even though I had said no more strands for a while after my 8-strand binge last year, lol). She is an enabler, but I'm glad I bought it. No pictures yet because I still have to decide how I want the necklace done.

Part of me wants something different than "just" a strand of pearls. I am considering a wire-wrapped necklace like Newberry's, maybe with rose gold to pick up the beautiful rose overtones in the pearls. I've also considered mixing faceted gemstone beads with the pearls to make a longer necklace. Pearl Dreams' neck shots make me see the appeal of leaving the pearls as a classic strand, and maybe I could twist them with my double strand of 8.5-9mm blue baroque akoyas to make a torsade. Decisions, decisions!

Whites are out of stock again! Which makes me hope we'll be seeing more pretty photos soon. :)

KaySD, I like the idea of mixing with faceted gemstone beads and wire wrapping.

I was able to snag two of these strands and can hardly wait to see them. I'll definitely post pictures when they arrive :).

baby nurse - Congratulations! I didn't even know there were more for sale (sad face!).

You guys are really coming through for the vicarious-enjoyment-department! I bet your jewelry boxes are lovelier than Alladin's cave:D

I can hardly wait to see everyone's pictures!!!

KaySD ... We think alike :) I've been toying with the idea of knotted or wire wrapping my 2 strands of white baroque akoyas, possibly with a bit of gemstone sparkle LOL. I too am torn, and very tempted to just let these shine alone ... what a delicious dilemma :) The one thing I do know is I must add a bit of length to accommodate my not-swan neck ... and I want to have the option to connect both into a rope to wear alone or with my metallic ropes. This might take a while ... Glad Baby Nurse and others were able to get strands!

I am regretting that I did not buy 2 strands while I had the chance. Then I would have 1 strung as a classic 18" strand with a 3" extender chain for flexibility. The other would be a longer necklace with gemstones added. Then I could wear the 2 necklaces together as a fun double or separately.

Back