Another question about pearls

SuddenlyAddictedToPearls

Community member
There's a strand of pearls that I'm interested in, and it's advertised 16" 7mm necklace. The seller said there are 68 pearls in total.
If the strand is 16" long (406 mm) and each pearl is 7mm, is it possible that there are 68 pearls in total?

thanks

I seriously doubt there is anything vintage about those pearls at all.

ok, it's time to give up on ebay...
It isn't all bad on ebay - but you sure have to wade through a lot of garbage to find a deal.

You can find some good things and deals on eBay, but you really need to know how to look and read between the lines. If you do a search on this forum you can read all about different vendors, and find some reliable and also non-reliable ones. I have come so far since June mostly due to the folks here, and lots and lots of reading and looking. I still have my "genuine Tahitian" pearls that I got for 20.00 last spring and aren't even nice freshwaters. Now I could tell in a heartbeat, but back then I wondered if maybe they were the real deal. Oh my. If you want a good deal and know what you are getting, look at either of the two websites of the gentlemen above.

The size is definitely wrong. But I would also caution on the pearls themselves. If they are genuine cultured pearls, it is an increadibly good deal. But I believe there is a high chance that the pearls are faux. Definitely not vintage either way. Vintage is not a compliment when describing akoya pearls.

I kind of thought they were Faux pearls myself, the holes just don't look right

That one is not too bad! Get rid of the AAA grading and the value and it is pretty accurate.

The only caveat is that the same picture has been used repeatedly by the seller for pearls of differing grades and sizes. So it is probably not completely indicative of what the buyer will receive.

$1000 value with a gold-plated clasp. When I search eBay for pearls, I do an advanced search so it doesn't even bring up anything coming out of China - but you still have to be careful. That Harrisburg, PA one rings a bell. It seems like there is a flood of pearls and gem beads from there. Another heads-up.

That one is not too bad! Get rid of the AAA grading and the value and it is pretty accurate.

The only caveat is that the same picture has been used repeatedly by the seller for pearls of differing grades and sizes. So it is probably not completely indicative of what the buyer will receive.

Looks like the third one was the charm.

If you have or suspect you have metal sensitivities, watch out for those plated clasps. A reaction on the neck is no fun at all.

Just curious...what does this mean? It came off the final website:
In 514 BC, Chinese people began to cultivate pearls in the Basin of Taihu Lake of Suzhou. According to historical records, dated back over 4,000 years ago, the Suzhou Pearls have been identified as tribute to the emperor. At present, China's pearl accounts for 96%of the world pearl yield. Suzhou is known as the "Land of Freshwater Pearls."

The date itself is made up. The Chinese started culturing blister pearls (they were the first) pre-BC, but according to Strack, the records only date back to the Han Dynasty (around 100 BC). You have to give them credit for being creative...coming up with an exact year when China started culturing blisters:D

Back