Abs & More

SteveM

This thread continues a personal voyage, trusting that others are traveling similar roads and will also share their experiences.

In Natural Combinations my interests in poe pipi from the Cook Islands and paua pearls from New Zealand were bridged, resulting in the natural pearl pin that serves most frequently as my avatar. Recently, during a pregnant pause in the Nautilus Pearl thread, Ammolite Ammonites from Alberta (ammonites being a direct ancestor of the Nautilus) came forcefully to my attention. Turns out ammolite is the world’s rarest precious gem—and organic to boot, along with only pearls and amber. In fact, ammolite is fossilized/mineralized/geologically-compressed nacreous shell: ’’Super Nacre” (to a certified NCN, a natural progression!).

Ammolite as well as Opal are products of mineral sedimentation in ancient inland seas of the Cretaceous period (70 million years ago). They share much in common, notably iridescence/opalescence and difficult separation from matrix. Processing is similar, and finding authentic examples correctly produced by craftsmen vs. commercially available doublets, triplets, etc. is NOT easy. Happily, I have recently acquired a couple of superb 100% gem examples from such an artisan.

Valeria101 suggested a design affinity between abalone pearls and ammolite. The leap to opal and abalone is my own.

The left three images below are the same two subjects, conceived as a two-sided pendant. The ammolite (27mm x 17mm) has an intense green/blue/orange side, and a back side that is primarily red/orange and/or green/orange. The abalone pearl is a quite unusual roundish baroque of good size, with excellent lustre.

The image on the right is boulder opal with a California ab with significant smooth color surface. Since the opal is cut as a cabochon and the ab has a darkish understated back side, this would be a one-sided pendant.

Attachments

• Ammo-Ab.jpg
    Ammo-Ab.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I couldn?t resist posting this ammolite imperial (100% gem, two-sided). It is so complex and complete in its color range that I would not consider using it in composition with other gems or materials. Unlike pearls, I could not take a bad photo. Problem is, the colors change from every angle and under every lighting condition. The chromatic shift and iridescence of ammolite is probably not even best captured by photography. Try cinematography!

Attachments

• Ammo2.jpg
    Ammo2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 41
Steve,

Those are wonderful gems! Spectacular in combination also---perhaps they will make a live debut at the rukus?
Thanks! I wouldn't miss a chance to obtain so much valuable input. And you must see how these things dance when viewed live.

Very beautiful.
I have an ammolite I bought from Druzy Design, it is primarily red.

I love ammolite for its rainbow colour, and was lucky enough to buy what I believe is a good piece and had it made into a pendant when I toured the Rockies back in 2001.

My mum likes the piece so much I gave it to her, as I do not have the chance to wear it as much as it deserves :)

DK :)

Those are sweet, Steve. You are bound to collect all things that have interference colors! ;)

You are bound to collect?
I suppose that's the essence of this thread. Will the ammolites end up in my specimen drawer along with 'La Catalina' (infamous baroque ab so-named on this forum)? The only purpose for that pearl was to cure me of the desire for any further such monstrosities!

Wonder if Andrew Grima ever worked with ammolite (his two-toned tourmaline below)? Would include pearls for continuing relevancy here. Still have some loose poe pipi that would substitute those diamonds?

Attachments

• GrimaPendant.jpg.jpg
    GrimaPendant.jpg.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
That is soooo pretty! Not a pearl, of course, but I love rocks too. ;)

Wonder if Andrew Grima ever worked with ammolite (his two-toned tourmaline below)? Would include pearls for continuing relevancy here. Still have some loose poe pipi that would substitute those diamonds?

Hmmm, not sure about the two-toned tourmaline, as I thought it was a Flourite when I first saw the pic, doh!

DK :)

Cute little present. I am sure some of our more experienced members can wire-wrap like that. Thanks for showing the fabulous pictures. Love them.

Lovely pieces. I think that it is wonderful that you think "out of the box" for combining these rare jewels. I really appreciate that your ammolites have significant amounts of the blue and the green. Isn't it interesting that one difference between them and opals is that the cool colors are the rarest ones for ammolites but the reds are the rarest for opals.

I would love also to learn more about the artisan who crafted your ammolites.

Not to hijack this thread but I actually have one of those specimen drawer dilemmas with a black opal. It is dark black/opaque with full spectrum of color--two sided color, with one side harlequin--red dominant. It is realtively small, bright in all lights, full fire. The challenge is that it is poorly cut with the most brilliant harlequin side being flat and the bright multi-color, but not harlequin side having a fat high dome; however, all experts who have examined it says not to have it recut because too much material will be lost. I will try to post pictures in a separate thread, although my photography skills do not do it justice.

The challenge is how to have it set to show both sides--at the same time! (No, actually not impossible, but not easy either.) I have an idea but no one so far has been brave enough to attempt it. So it sits in a special container--with proper humidity--but really begs to be set.

I will try to post a photo in a separate thread.

Look forward to seeing you eventual design.

Not to hijack this thread?
Hijack away (Abs & MORE), our design challenges are parallel and I would enjoy a continuing discussion here, or in another thread if you prefer!

Back