More Strands

CricketBug

I've been on a stringing kick lately, inspired by the beautiful examples on this big forum. :D

I posted one in the Lowly Beaders area and thought these should be in the "Show Me..." forum.

When we were recently in Honolulu, the lovely boardies (as in P-G members) suggested Aloha Pearls for an option to view and purchase. I found a lovely 14mm natural blue-grey pearl which I had drilled at 2.2mm, and then turned it into a bracelet. When I got home, I wanted a more secure clasp than just the leather cord wound around itself (it kept loosening and I was worried the bracelet would be lost), so I bought leather cording and used a little "bean" clasp.

IMG_1626.JPG

Next, a strand similar to Charlotta's greeny-champagne SS pearls from the same Etsy seller. Before:

IMG_1630.JPG

And after, strung with "Cork" from Pattye, and a gold-toned "bean" I already had. I love the Cork colour with these pearls:

IMG_7959.JPG

The other strand was from a different Etsy seller. I was simply curious about the coloured freshwater pearls, so I launched and bought this strand. It's quite lovely and glowy. Pattye very generously sent me a sample of "Gold", which I used for this strand. I was also curious about the Orbit clasps, so I ordered one from Pattye—and LOVE it!

In the photo, the contrast is sharp between the thread and the pearls, but in real life, the gold thread is a lovely match with the goldish-orange-ish pearls, and a subtle contrast with the purple/mauve pearls:

IMG_1633.JPG

I've got to say that in stringing pearls, I love the sound of the pearls clacking together, I love the feel of the pearls in my fingers, love the look of them, and adore how gimp reacts to the thread being tightened! I always giggle with delight when the gimp forms the little circle around the clasp. ;)

'giggles with delight when the gimp forms the little circle around the clasp" ... and I thought I was the only one :) Though I suspect my giggle is a bit of nervous relief that gimp didn't unwind like a slinky toy gone bad ...

'giggles with delight when the gimp forms the little circle around the clasp" ... and I thought I was the only one :) Though I suspect my giggle is a bit of nervous relief that gimp didn't unwind like a slinky toy gone bad ...
Haha! That's also true! My giggling is tinged with relief, for the same reason as you! ;)

Hahahaaa... I'm another that does a sign of relief combined with a child's excitement of watching something magical happen when the gimp does what it is supposed to do.

Nice work, Cricketbug! It's addicting, isn't it? :D

I wish there was a "like" button to reply~ I too give a sigh of relief when the gimp does what it is suppose to do!

Hahahaaa... I'm another that does a sign of relief combined with a child's excitement of watching something magical happen when the gimp does what it is supposed to do.

Nice work, Cricketbug! It's addicting, isn't it? :D
Thanks, amti. Stringing pearls is totally addictive! It's just like eating popcorn! "Oh, just one more pearl. Ah, just one more. I promise, this is the last one. Okay, just one more..." Haha!

I wish there was a "like" button to reply~ I too give a sigh of relief when the gimp does what it is suppose to do!
Me, too! I'd love to have a "like" (or more so, a "love" icon). Thank you.

Such beautiful lustrous creations Cricketbug. :)
Thanks, Gemandpearlover! The pearls are beautiful even on the temporary hanks. Actually, I've always thought it would be wonderful to have several undrilled pearls of amazing colour and lustre just to hold and look at, and to have as a "worry stone" in my pocket to fidget with.

Wonderful new additions CricketBug! The cork is an interesting color choice, and it looks great!

Cricket ug, you’ve gotten really good! After the anxiety of going back through and knotting the first 4 pearls, I love the weight of the pearls in my hand and, you’re right, they do clink together so beautifully.

I've got to say that in stringing pearls, I love the sound of the pearls clacking together, I love the feel of the pearls in my fingers, love the look of them, and adore how gimp reacts to the thread being tightened! I always giggle with delight when the gimp forms the little circle around the clasp. ;)

I do not want to start stringing pearls and am more than happy to admire everybody else's creations but this did make me chuckle and for the first time I could almost 'feel' the pleasure of handling all those pearls!

Thank you, jeg and Parrot Lady. :)

Parrot Lady, those first and last pearls were a bit stressful for me as well, until (drum roll, please), I found a collet small enough for a rotary tool I have, and I can now drill the holes of those eight pearls to be a weensy bit bigger. I use an unknotted piece of thread and double the needle (and thread) back through to make sure there's enough room. Stress alleviated! :cool: Plus, I get to use a power tool! Haha.

I do not want to start stringing pearls and am more than happy to admire everybody else's creations but this did make me chuckle and for the first time I could almost 'feel' the pleasure of handling all those pearls!
:rolleyes: For me, it's the full-meal deal—tactile, auditory, visual. I suppose if I ate candy while stringing, then I could get the taste/smell senses involved, too. Haha!

Cricketbug, I love your greenish south sea strand. Now we are pearl twins! It must be so lovely to pick out pearls by yourself, beautiful bracelet and I like the other strand as well. I have never tried the orbitclasp either, might have to order one next time I order tread. Beautiful work.

Thank you, Charlotta.

Picking out pearls was so fun! But also stressful, because my brother and sister-in-law were waiting for me to make up my mind. If I had been by myself, I would have looked (and touched, and tried on) a LOT more pearls. Haha!

There were pearls of varying sizes, colours and qualities just sitting in bowls in the display case. Some were strung; some were bracelets; some were earrings, etc. Looking through the bowl of Tahitians where I chose my pearl was super fun! I had quite a few picked out in a beauty line-up, then narrowed it down.

I wanted to try on strands, and just oooogle everything there! And there was another store downstairs that had endless amounts of gemstone strands and gemstone beads, and findings, etc. It was also fascinating and I could have spent hours there, too. I suppose it's good my family was with me or I might still be there. Hah.

:rolleyes: For me, it's the full-meal deal—tactile, auditory, visual. I suppose if I ate candy while stringing, then I could get the taste/smell senses involved, too. Haha!

Well, some, not all, freshly drilled keshi can supply the "smell" although not a pleasant one! What an delightful shopping trip; I'm envious.

Your new strands are just lovely, congratulations; thank you so much for sharing your thread color choices!

Cricketbug, I have only ever chosen vintage akoyas in person. At antique stores and such. Since I know what to look for and thay usually don't I got them for really good prices though.

Back