100 Inch Rope Challenge!!

Sheri, your rope is something else...and it looks that pearls you used are rather nice. Wearing it long gives you possibility to look at at them constantly... admiring them.. playing with them. WOW !! Dream come through..

Back at home, yesterday, I checked my other ropes. Guess what: 90" seams to be my length. Unaware of it, I made three almost the same length. Other two are 88" and 92"... Somehow it must be the length I like to wear !

The idea of a 100 inch rope is awsome to me. I am rather new to beading as well as this forum. I have tried this type of continuous knotting and just can't seem to get it right. I am using a real silk thread and using the technique seen on many sites where you run the thread back through the last bead and tie a double half hitch knot on either side. Is anyone aware of a good instructional site that gives tips on how to correctly do this type of finishing of the necklace. I must be doing something wrong because the knots just slip right out and untie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by the newbie.

Dear Pearlrevolution.... mmmm I have missed the double half hitch on either side idea, but I can see how that would be confusing and possibly problematic. I string with doubled thread (one long strand folded in half at the needle). I string on all the pearls, remove the needle, half hitch the clasp where the needle once was. Then I slide each pearl down knotting as I go along. When I get to the end, I leave the last two pearls unknotted. I remove one of the threads from the last pearl, the other thread then doubles around the loop on the clasp and back through the last pearl... where the first thread is waiting to tie a double square knot. (then I use a small tad of hypo tube cement.. just to keep the thread from fraying.. I let that dry and snip).
Hope this helps!
Sarah

Last edited:
Ivona,

Since this thread is really All About Ropes, we would be delighted to see photos of your others here, too! Anyone else who has a long rope, please feel free to add yours--each one is a True Inspiration!!

Here they are:

98in keishi-10mm multi.jpg

98in keishi-10mm multi neck.jpg

102in.jpg

102in lavender.jpg

O.K.
I know these are pearls and will always look fabulous, but Crikey !
Ivona, they don't half look good on you !.....:)

O.K.
I
Ivona, they don't half look good on you !.....:)

You just killed my illusions....

....and they are not supposed to look good on me - they are supposed th draw attention away from my aging face/ neck/ body... Maybe people will remember just the pearls.....

You just killed my illusions....

....and they are not supposed to look good on me - they are supposed th draw attention away from my aging face/ neck/ body... Maybe people will remember just the pearls.....

Not ageing - rather, gracefully maturing. :)

Those are so lavish. I love them, and they do look terrific on you. ;)

what thread are you using to knot with? Your knotting work is first rate!

Mostly Dandyline, sometimes PowerPro. for big pearls .11, for smaller .08, when I have tiny holes in stones, .06. Always double thread. With .06 I make double knots. With very big pearls sometimes double knots even on .11 thread.....And , yes, I knot rather well. I learned a lot reading posts on this forum.
I remember how I started: I was threading one pearl on single thread, making a knot ( sometimes 1mm too far from it), putting second pearl on, making knot....and so on...... I had no idea it could be done differently.....:confused:

My strand came up a little short because I was too lazy to knot between all the pearls!

This one finishes at 95". It is made of white keishi, metallic keishi and FW klonkers that range in size from 11-14mm. I knotted between the metallics and the FW, and the entire rope is strung on powerpro.

I haven't named it yet but my husband is quite enthralled by a rope necklace...which means any name given to the piece won't be appropriate to post! LOL.

I wore it tonight for the first time and had 2 strangers ask where they could get one.

Attachments

• P1030867.jpg
    P1030867.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 38
  • best1.jpg
    best1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 100incher.jpg
    100incher.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 43
Annie, Annie, Annie!!!!!!! Girl, you are smokin!! That center photo will sell some ropes for sure!

I haven't named it yet but my husband is quite enthralled by a rope necklace...which means any name given to the piece won't be appropriate to post! LOL.

LOL, As far as the name, you gave me a good laugh tonight, just put some asterisks in to get it by the auto censors!

Annie - that is fantastic!! And looks pretty darned good on you, too... I echo Sheri's comments!!

I love the metallic keishis beside the klonks !! Beautiful design !!

Annie, you do look hot in those pearls. Your husband is sure to let you spend more on pearls now - an extra benefit.

It makes me wish I were younger and in better shape. Geezerdom has its own benefits, though! ;)

...It makes me wish I were younger and in better shape. Geezerdom has its own benefits, though! ;)

Yeah, I do sometimes wax nostalgic for those days of slimmer thighs and an unfurrowed brow, but I must say, I've certainly enjoyed earning my laugh lines and grey hairs! Life is to be lived to the fullest - which is probably why I just bought another 19mm pearl :)eek:)

Hmmmm...I'm thinking I need to make another rope soon...the husband is away, so the wife will play...with pearls!:D

Sheri

Back