Linda's Lowly Beading Adventures

That’s beautiful. Maybe I could try that with my unset gemstones. Now where did I put those wirewrapping books.

Oh, Linda, I love the blue lace agate necklace and the moonstone pendant, which both turned out beautifully. :)

Thank you, everyone!!! I've been working on this next one for some time. The aquamarine beads are pretty small. The necklace is shorter than I planned, because I didn't allow as much string for the myriad knots as I should have. Lesson learned.
aquamarine_beads_small.jpg

You've been a busy Covid bee!! Well done, I do love the blue lace..it's such a pretty colour !

Ah, yes, the stay at home thing has me working on various projects, from beading to sewing to roasting coffee!

Pretty new strands, Linda! And coffee roasting, too?!

Yes, jeg, with the right equipment (not necessarily expensive) coffee roasting is quite easy. We like a light roast, and under the circumstances can no longer go to Trader Joe's. i got started a few years ago, when we visited some friends who are enthusiastic gardeners. They showed us their coffee plant, and roasted some of their beans for us. I thought that was really neat, and went home and ordered a coffee plant on eBay, even though I am not all that great a gardener. The plant is growing reasonably well, and now has three (3) beans on it! I know, not enough to make much coffee, assuming they ripen OK, which seems to be taking a long time. I got the coffee roaster and some green coffee beans in anticipation of the day my plant has a reasonable yield. Just to note: the smell of roasting coffee is very different from the smell of brewing coffee.

Ok, that sounds like a lot of patience involved! 3 beans...:eek:

I never tried rosting coffee, might br fun. I like mine really dark rosted. Not-husband says my coffee is like tar and bitter...he prefers swedish coffee. Dreadful weak stuff. I woun't touch it, perils of having lived in italy.

I never tried rosting coffee, might br fun. I like mine really dark rosted. Not-husband says my coffee is like tar and bitter...he prefers swedish coffee. Dreadful weak stuff. I woun't touch it, perils of having lived in italy. Good luck with the plant.

Thanks, everyone! Charlotta, you sound like you make coffee like a co-worker of mine did, as a friend said: "she makes coffee you can sink your teeth into!"
I've finally strung the strand of souffle pearls I got at my first ruckus (2017), but it's really hard to get a good picture:
souffle_pearls.jpg
souffle_pearl_neck.jpg
My husband looked at the pearls, and said they needed blue beads. He picked them out of my bead stash.

Linda, that wirewrapped moonstone is very cool and the deep blue aquamarine necklace, too. Way back at 2011 Ruckus, our Sarah from Kojima Pearls put on a stringing clinic. She recommended "4 times and a little more" as measure of the length of thread related to length of finished piece; which has been easy for me to remember.

What other formulas do you knotters use to figure the length of thread needed?

Super pretty combo of bright blue and soft colors of souffle pearls, Linda. I'm quite sure your souffles have a pretty play of iridescent colors that barely shows in the photo.

Last edited:
Pattye, when you say 4 times, is that single or doubled? I have been doing about 4 times single, which is 2 times, doubled. I also found out the hard way that you need more than 4 times for a bracelet, or you won't have enough extra to put in the final knots! I used 5 or maybe 6 times for this one, and had a fair bit left over, since they are small beads and thicker thread (fluorite and quartz):
flourite&quartz_necklace.jpg

My standard measure is - two and a half to three times the length of the intended piece.
Max would be three and a half, when knotting seed pearls or micro beads.

This measure is per strand of thread. ( so if using four threads to string with you would have 4*( X*2.5 )=length to use )

This formula has worked for me for over 35 years, and always leaves me a good whack remaining to finish off.

Linda, how many strands and what thickness of thread did you use on this?

Linda, what a pretty sparkly mix the quartz and fluorite is! And the blue thread shows up nicely. You are correct that you will have more knots and use up more thread with the roundel shape beads. So you were wise to allow some extra thread. The measurement Sarah gave was for an average pearl necklace, let's say 18 inches finished ~ 4x single, 2 times doubled, as you figured, with a little extra (I usually add 12-14 inches.) So that would be 2 yards + the extra 12-14 inches.

As you work with fabric also, Linda, do you measure yardage and thread by "stripping off" the length? Probably everyone knows that from the tip of the fingers on an outstretched arm to one's nose is approx 1 yard, yes??? (I have to turn my head a little 'cause my arm is a little short, lol.) So it's an easy way to estimate the thread needed instead of using a measuring tape if you wish.

I also agree, Linda, bracelets may need even more than 4x plus a bit extra; like you I want plenty of room to double back with the thread.

Last edited:
Back