Stringing on tripled thread, advice needed.

BWeaves

I'll have photos up later, but I need to pick your brains.

Background: My coin pearls originally were an endless strand, which broke shortly after I bought them because the thread was too thin and the knot was not secure. I restrung them myself with a disco ball clasp. As much as I love a disco ball clasp, I felt it never really went with the coin pearls. I just bought a yellow gold orbit clasp, and I think it works very well with the pearls.

Problem: The pearls have large holes, so a doubled strand of silk or Beader's Secret does not make a big enough knot. I even have different sizes of silk and can't really find one that works doubled. Four strands of Beader's Secret are the limit that will go through the holes. I finally was successful in using 3 strands, which was a bit weird, but worked. BUT, I wasn't able to get 3 or 4 strands to go through my gimp, so I ended up doing a larks head knot over the loop in the clasp.

Halfway through knoting I thought of a solution for the gimp, but I decided to just finish the strand and order more gimp from Pattye before I restring them.

Solution: So, here's what I think will work, but I'd love to hear other solutions. If I use a doubled thread through the big eye needle, and use it like it's an "attached" needle, then I won't have 2 more "ends" to deal with going through the holes. I start with some gimp, thread on all the pearls, more gimp, then through the clasp, and back through the last pearl. Make a knot with the 4 threads. Put the needle through the next pearl, knot with 4 threads. Put the needle through the 3rd pearl, cut off one of the threads from the needle and let it hang, and knot with 3 threads. I'll trim the hanging thread after a few more knots. Continue knotting with 3 threads until the last 3 pearls.

OK, here's where I'm trying to work it out. I could thread through the 3rd pearl from the end and let it hang. Then I could take each of the 2 ends coming out of the gimp and put each on their own needle and thread them through the clasp and then back through the pearl by the clasp and snug it all up. Then use those 2 ends to make a knot over the thread already in the hole. Then thread those 2 needles one at a time through the 2nd pearl, and make a knot over the running thread. Then thread one needle through the 3rd pearl from the end. So the 3rd pearl will have a hanging thread coming out each hole, reading for trimming.

My problem is, what to do with the last end. At this point, the pearls on either side of my last knot have 4 threads in them and there's just no room to work in a needle or the single thread that's doubled over on the needle. Currently, I just put a dab of glue and cut it off, because I figured the other end is snugged up in the next pearl.

Any other ideas? I'm afraid to go down to one thread to make the last couple of knots because the pearls slide over the knots, and I want the apparent size of the knots to look like the rest of them.

I saw that ages ago, but I have the regular size on hand, it's just about right. I find it's easier to use multiple strands of a thinner thread for working the ends back through the pearls. I can just about do that here, except for that last pesky end. And my main problem of the regular thread will just go through the gimp doubled, so I don't think I can go thicker there.

i'm not sure what size gimp pattye has (its the only kind i've tried) but i think some companies make different sizes that might accommodate thicker threads?
i had a similar problem but while i was able to get the 3 strands of beaders' secret through the gimp, i wasn't able to get all 3 strands back through the first 3 pearls. it worked out ok for my purposes (the holes weren't that large) but i'm interested to see what strategies folks have used for dealing with larger holes.

Seriously, try the thicker thread. It will work, and the thread will be much easier to work than multiple strands, especially for a rope. I find that often times, long strands use larger holes for the last four pearls on each end. Make sure that you keep those for your ends. You can always go back and try the multi strand method if you don't like the results...but I bet it will work beautifully! Also, remember to move the thread around so that you don't create a weak spot when stringing through the pearls.

Also, remember to move the thread around so that you don't create a weak spot when stringing through the pearls.

I did try some of my silk thicker threads and they were too thick for these particular pearls, although I've used the thicker thread successfully on some gemstone strands of my mother's.

I'm not sure what you mean by "move the thread around?" All threads are drawn through all pearls going one direction. Then going back, one thread goes back through, except right at the end when I drop that thread, and start using the ends that haven't been used yet that are sticking out the unknotted end, so they're fresh for ending everything.

(I've read that 3 times, and I'm not sure I made sense.)

I did try some of my silk thicker threads and they were too thick for these particular pearls, although I've used the thicker thread successfully on some gemstone strands of my mother's.

I'm not sure what you mean by "move the thread around?" All threads are drawn through all pearls going one direction. Then going back, one thread goes back through, except right at the end when I drop that thread, and start using the ends that haven't been used yet that are sticking out the unknotted end, so they're fresh for ending everything.

(I've read that 3 times, and I'm not sure I made sense.)

Sorry...I mean the mid point of the thread where it sits in the eye of the needle. Adjust it as you draw through the pearls, otherwise a weak spot may develop. I hope that makes more sense!!

AH, yes! I do that. Thanks!!! When I cut the one of the threads off, I'm able to move the thread around in the eye of the needle. Yes. Learned the hard way on that one. And always right towards the end of finishing, too!

Photos.

Before, with the disco ball and the too small knots.

IMG_0992.jpg

After, with the orbit clasp from PP. The orbit clasp will add about an inch to the length, along with the bigger knots.

IMG_0998.jpg

Closeup of the clasp. I did a larks head knot to attach the Beader's Secret to the clasp. I know I'm the only one who can tell, but I'm really itching to put gold gimp there instead, because I think it will look more professional.

IMG_0999.jpg

Wearing the newly strung strand with my Kojima teardrops. I really like the look of this clasp with the flat coin pearls. It works much better than the ball.

IMG_0997.jpg

Am I stressing over nothing? Looking at the photos is more like looking at one of you, and it looks fine to me. In person, I see every perceived flaw.

I feel like the clasp looks like it is floating and not attached to the pearls. I feel like gimp would make the clasp look attached to the pearls. And also protect the threads more.

BWeaves I think it looks great! I like that you are critiquing the size of the knots too! That's a very subtle distinction, but I agree the finished product looks great!

I like the floating look. Beader's Secret is pretty strong so you might not really need the gimp on this one. Nicely done!

Hi Everyone,

Just saw this discussion about using 3 threads. A couple of years ago it was a hot topic over THERE on Pricescope, page 2, so I'm linking it. I can't access the photos anymore.

There isn't just one way that's "right." I still test to see what combination of threads, 3 - #30 or 4 - #40 (fine) works best with the larger holes or extremely heavy pearls. A few times I've used 6 -#40, but fewer through the gimp. Yes, it can take longer to string with these variations, but you will have a necklace that won't need restringing any time soon. Questions are welcome, of course.

Thanks so much, Everyone, for sharing your tips for using Beader's Secret!

BWeaves, you did a terrific job on your coin pearls! Love the orbit clasp, perfection!

I think it looks great. Gimp does come in different sizes and can be quite large plus as JP suggested the larger thread can be good as well. I've had issues at time when the thread and the holes didn't quite match up..it can take a bit of experimentation to sort out a proper fit. Sounds like you did well and it certainly looks good ! I far prefer the orbit clasp as well. I don't mind the look without gimp tbh .. but I know what it's like when something bugs you lol You did a great job !

BWeaves, the coins look so much better with the orbit clasp; it really complements it.

Back