South sea pearls versus Fresh Water pearls

Winnie

Hello I am new to this forum and pearls.
Can someone please tell me how to tell whether a strand is genuine Southsea or just a good quality Fresh water? I bought a 'Broom Southsea' strand size 9-11 mm, just recently for $7000. It was a closing-down sale . They are very round and very silverish-white in color , with minimal blemishes and extremely high lustre. I have done the tooth test and rub the pearls against one another, they all pass the tests. The strand also feels cold when I put on my neck. So I am sure they are real pearls. Then I found out the jeweler i bought it from has a bad reputation of being dishonest. I also saw some fresh water pearls which look very similar to mine and started to wonder whether my strand is really South sea? Or just fwp ?
So how can you tell by just looking at them? Is it the weight? Mine is not very heavy. I also got a writtened valuation from the jeweler describing the strand as Broom south
sea pearls for insurance purpose.
Sorry for the long post. I'd appreciate any advice and ideas from you all as I am a bit distressed that I may have wasted the $7000 of my saving. The jeweler has closed down already . Thanks in advanced.

There's a thread we have that gives advice on how to do this
Go to the upper left of this page to FORUMS. Click
Go to Other stuff. Click
Then find the thread How to take pictures of pearl jewelry

Good luck!

Pictures of my south-sea pearls strand.

Pictures of my south-sea pearls strand.

Hi all, thanks for your prompt replies. Here are some of the photos I have taken. I hope they are good enough for you to analyse the pearls. Please give me opinion of the quality of these pearls, and more importantly, if they are south seas. I appreciate your help.
Winnie (from Queensland, Australia)

1-1.jpg

Taken indoors with natural lighting (room not very bright)

2-1.jpg

Taken in same room, necklace hung upright in white box

3-1.jpg

Necklace held up against cream wall (natural daylight in a brighter room) The pearls
look very silver.

5-1.jpg

Necklace held up in natural daylight (no backdrop)

4-1.jpg

Necklace laid flat on carpet (dim light was turned on in a room with natural light)

Hi Winnie
If those are saltwater, there is not much choice of what they would be except South Sea. Akoyas would not be that large and Tahitians would not be that white. The price sounds about right. You are one lucky person! Wear them a lot!

I'm going to throw in a spanner here..I have some freshwaters which look incredibly like south sea pearls ....and since Winnie said the seller has a bad reputation....
http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/104_175/products_id/3266
I just looked at those pearls again against some ss earrings and really, apart from the different blemishes it would be hard to call which is which
what are the blemishes like...that is one way to tell as freshwaters don't tend to have that 'drip into creamy mud' 'moon crater' flaw which SS have?

Hi Caitlin
Sorry did I send my last post to you? I meant to send it to the thread. I did it from my iPhone and had a feeling I just replied to you instead. Can you please check ? Thanks
Winnie

Again ... Those aren't freshwater. The only saltwater pearls they could be are South Sea, so you didn't get ripped off. As someone who deals in South Sea pearls, it's not difficult to tell them apart.

Hi Winnie,
Love those pearls on you. White with silver overtones are awesome!

Hi guys

Thanks for your input. I am just so confuse now. The strand does look metallic under strong light and look a bit like those pearls that Pearlscence has.
Jeremey, I know your are an expert here and I am not questioning your credentials, but how can you be so sure they are not fresh water pearls?
I just started collecting pearls 6 months ago when holidaying in Hawaii where I saw so many beautiful pearls.I bought a Tahitian pendant and a golden ss pendant there and love them so much. I appreciate the pearls beauty and elegance more and more. I indulge myself more with this strand. But I hope I didn't make a mistake

Hi guys

Thanks for your input. I am just so confuse now. The strand does look metallic under strong light and look a bit like those pearls that Pearlscence has.
Jeremey, I know your are an expert here and I am not questioning your credentials, but how can you be so sure they are not fresh water pearls?
I just started collecting pearls 6 months ago when holidaying in Hawaii where I saw so many beautiful pearls.I bought a Tahitian pendant and a golden ss pendant there and love them so much. I appreciate the pearls beauty and elegance more and more. I indulge myself more with this strand. But I hope I didn't make a mistake

I can tell by looking at them. Freshwater and South Sea look quite different, and your photo was good enough to see that the pearls have a saltwater surface and luster, not freshwater. Also, the size, given a 2 mm graduation, is a common South Sea graduation. Don't worry too much. You actually got a pretty good deal.

Thanks Jeremy for your re assurance. They also told me the strand is a AAA grade. It's just the metallic lustre sometimes make me think it's those new metallic pearls made in China. But now I think I will stop suspecting and just enjoy wearing it.
Many thanks to everyone.

Hi Winnie,

I agree with Jeremy - those are not freshwater. It is the bluish tone of the white and the luster...those are traits of a South Sea strand. You have a really beautiful necklace there, and for a fair price. So do not worry. Enjoy your new pearly acquisition...:)

Back