New here and need advice

Kolcer

I'm very new to this forum. I bought this necklace during my far east vacation. I tried some tests I read on the forum and the pearls seem real. But I want to know if these pearls are fresh water or golden south sea. Thank you.
IMG_5745.JPG
IMG_5746.JPG
IMG_5749.JPG
IMG_5750.JPG

I agree with Pearl Dreams. They do look like dyed freshwater, though it can be very hard to tell the difference. I'm going by mostly the type of surface flaws I can see (or think I can see) which are more indicative of freshwater. There is one well-known pearl company which churns out dyed bead nucleated freshwaters by the gazillion (along with fake tahitian and fake akoya). The colour looks lovely from the photos, so, provided you didn't pay a South Sea price, you've got a great souvenir and a necklace than only an expert peering closely at your chest will be able to tell one way or the other!
The photo is one I used in my book to show just how hard it can be to tell the difference - one real and one fake.

Attachments

• 3facing real fake.JPG
    3facing real fake.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
Thank you so much for your kind replies. Your opinions are quite helpful. I’m so grateful

The markings on true Golden South Sea pearls are pretty unique. Small pits that are not quite the same as Freshwater nacre pilings. Now, if you have South Sea without the pits, well then you've got something pretty expensive!!! All the South Sea pearls I own have those little imperfections on the surface. I have communicated with an EBay partner who can identify pearls very well...he works with them every day. He has helped me identify fakes and real ones by me sending key pictures to him. This forum also has many knowledgeable individuals who can see the difference as well. Thanks for sharing and I hope you paid an appropriate price. After all, what something is worth...is what it is worth to YOU. (Unless you are trying to sell it...hahaha.)

I agree with Pearl Dreams. They do look like dyed freshwater, though it can be very hard to tell the difference. I'm going by mostly the type of surface flaws I can see (or think I can see) which are more indicative of freshwater. There is one well-known pearl company which churns out dyed bead nucleated freshwaters by the gazillion (along with fake tahitian and fake akoya). The colour looks lovely from the photos, so, provided you didn't pay a South Sea price, you've got a great souvenir and a necklace than only an expert peering closely at your chest will be able to tell one way or the other!
The photo is one I used in my book to show just how hard it can be to tell the difference - one real and one fake.
So which is the real, the inside strand?

Try using the @ followed by the user's name, this way they are alerted of your mention and can come back to answer.
I would also like to know Wendy @pearlescence
Thank you for that advice. If I had to guess which one was real, I would guess the graduated strand, although a clearer picture might show more of the surface that would help to determine more clearly.

Beautiful pearl necklace Kolcer.

Actually really have less idea of how to identify the real pearl. But after being here, I am upgrading my knowledge too.

Thank you for your question and the others too for their answer.

Oh my gosh, I cant tell the difference!
Usually when I see dyed bead nucleated freshwaters, the dye color is really obvious!

In post #3, I think the larger, inner strand are the GSS and the smaller, outer strand are the dyed FWP.
I'm looking at the blemishes on the larger strand which seem more typical to SSP.

Back