World Pearl Forum

effisk here on the forum asked Robert Wan an interesting question today during a panel discussion. The jist of it was:

What are your thoughts of the rescinding of the tax on Tahitian pearls and its effect on the Tahitian pearl industry?

Mr. Wan basically said that the tax was very bad for business and that he hopes it will be gone permanently.

Last edited:
effisk here on the forum asked Robert Wan an interesting question today during a panel discussion. The jist of it was:

What are your thoughts of the rescinding of the tax on Tahitian pearls and its effect on the Tahitian pearl industry?

Mr. Wan basically said that the tax was very bad for business and that he hopes it will be gone permanently.

Josh will be happy to hear that! ;)

I am having no problems at the Atlantis. Everything seems to work fine.

I seem to have a few pictures of the Atlantis, which I had the chance to visit earlier this month. It is quite a place! Hope you are enjoying your stay there, Jeremy.....did you get one of those rooms where one wall is a floor to ceiling aquarium?:)

1. View of the hotel from outside
2. The intriguing glass sculpture in the lobby
3. Closer view of the sculpture

Attachments

• DSC05206.jpg
    DSC05206.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Atlantis lobby sculpture.jpg
    Atlantis lobby sculpture.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Atlantis lobby sculpture close-up.jpg
    Atlantis lobby sculpture close-up.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 32
While eagerly awaiting Jeremy's pictures, a little look back to early-20th century Bahraini Pearls (and one of the most enticing photos ever on Pearl-Guide!) posted by Reem Mattar of Mattar Jewellers in Bahrain. Wouldn't one wish to run their fingers through those!

Thanks for the link to this thread, Steve. It is the first time I have seen it - what a wonderful thread with some breathtaking pictures of Bahraini pearls, some set into gorgeous pieces.....thank you!:)

2. The intriguing glass sculpture in the lobby

This magnificent glass sculpture and other pieces in the hotel are the works of Dale Chihuly.

Chihuly also did the lobby celling in the Bellaggio Hotel in Las Vegas.

DSC_0220.jpg

Take a look at his website:
http://www.chihuly.com/

2b_lobby.jpg
Courtesy of MGM MIRAGE

A foreman who built the hotel told us that every flower was 2.000 USD.

Start counting.......;)

I can certainly see the relationship between this Atlantis and the one on Paradise Island in the Bahamas, with its spectacular aquarium.

Talking Chihuly, the Bellagio is an amazing sight for sure. We're doing a charity food and wine dinner with Dale and one of Spain's most famous chefs near Seattle on March 18, the chef is ultra avant garde and will be spending a day in Chihuly's studio, then mimicking his glass in the design of the food.

Never know where these threads can lead! (Jeremy, are your photos ready yet?)

We're doing a charity food and wine dinner with Dale and one of Spain's most famous chefs near Seattle on March 18, the chef is ultra avant garde and will be spending a day in Chihuly's studio, then mimicking his glass in the design of the food.

Looking forward to details of Steve and Almudena's latest art, pearls, food and wine adventure!! And music too!

Thanks for the link to this thread, Steve. It is the first time I have seen it - what a wonderful thread with some breathtaking pictures of Bahraini pearls, some set into gorgeous pieces.....thank you!:)
And the best part is that we were not even tempted to buy the pearls (no oil sheiks among us!)?the likely reason Mr. Mattar does not post here anymore. But Pearl-Guide definitely benefitted from his brief and noble presence.

Looking forward to details of Steve and Almudena's latest art, pearls, food and wine adventure!! And music too!
OK, our challenge now will be how to get the pearls in the picture, to merit a new thread here. I know the hostess on March 18 has a couple of spectacular necklaces.

Last edited:
The IP address of the Atlantis has been banned on the forum last night, Jeremy has no access to the forum. I'm in a different hotel. Caitlin, can you do something about this?

My question to Wan was also about their marketing strategy now that the GIE Perles de Tahiti is dead (or almost dead - you never know), and if the newly Tahiti Pearl Consortium was aimed at replacing the GIE. No real answer to that part.

Anyways, the whole conference was interesting, some really interesting speeches (J Shepherd, J Hunter, J Branellec, H Schupak and a few others), some boring generalities (wan, Paspaley, Mikimoto), some unintelligible speeches (insert chinese names here). We got copies of all presentations, I'll share them online over the week-end. I didn't take any photos but I saw Terry and Peter take some.

The IP address of the Atlantis has been banned on the forum last night

I got a call from Jeremy saying the same thing, its not the case we are not blocking any IPs from anywhere close to the region. I guess you'll guys will have to wait for an update.

I put some Russian IPs in the user banning options section yesterday. I removed them this AM, Hoping that takes care of it.:eek:

Back