what a difference a watermark makes...

kojimapearl

I got a text from a friend this last weekend including this photo she found on FB...
image1 (5).jpg

It looks SO similar to the one I took and posted on our website so long ago. It is almost difficult to see the difference with out a magnifying glass. :cool:
pair of japan kasumi pearls 622.jpg

I used the Google reverse image search, and WOW... I wanted to crawl back into our peaceful pearl cave where the music plays and the jewelry is made!

My favorite was this one, where the color modifications made the original photo of a pair Japan Kasumi pearls look almost like a cross between stalactites, Sea of Cortez and Tahitian pearls.
Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 4.06.01 PM.jpg

Oh.... Internet.. what will we do with you?
I can think of ten thousand things I would rather do than watermark my photos...
and no Internet you cannot lure me into the hole of googling Kasumi pearls, I do not like scary movies.
I will go back to our happy pearl cave and hide with the ones I love.. the genuine ones I love.

I know that you Pearl-Guide elite are Internet pearl hawks of the highest order, do you have any recommendations to retain provenance on photos with out having to apply a water mark across their beauty?
(That sort of feels like a facial tattoo on a beautiful model)

I am not bothered by this, just wondering if you all have been through this and have any advice?
With warmth, Sarah

Lol - you've got a good attitude about it Sarah. I gave up years ago trying to chase down everybody stealing images. I figure my time is better spent elsewhere...

Although I recently found one of my photos on Yvel.com - which is a pretty major brand.

But I feel for you, I know your kasumi photos get used and abused all over the internet. But unless you love playing whack-a-mole...

I'm sorry. Watermarks ... failing that I can only offer this for what it's worth .. We LOVE you. We do NOT love "them". We would not buy from them, nor ever eat oysters with them. Love and Hugs Sarah. Integrity and artistry DO count.

Watermarking everything could look a bit paranoid. I think we have to accept it will happen and the people doing it are either ignorant or pretty pathetic, lazy and probably breathe through their mouths. Or all of the above.
There's a pearl selling thing on the net called pearlescense which I could get bothered about but every time I check their stock is unchanged so they aren't doing a roaring trade. . It's obviously an attempt at passing off (a civil tort) but even though I could do the suing myself I just can't be bothered.
The best revenge is to live well (and have lots of nice pearls which you can sell so you can buy lots more nice pearls)

Oh...Thank you everyone. Such sweet and warm replies.
Happy and busy in our pearl cave. I am honestly not bothered by all of this..
I guess my question was more along the lines of "every photo is really just a bunch of dots" is there any way to add a bit of code to those dots that somehow shows ownership (with out actually watermarking the photos, because yes I agree that looks paranoid and presumptive).
Sorry I am very low tech, but just tech to know there is a huge world of code behind everything these days. I'm wondering if a bit of "code" could be added to the photos that is invisible in the photos themselves?

Oh Sarah I'm sorry, what a bummer. I echo the metadata suggestion, but someone could easily get around that by editing and resaving the image or just PDFing it, or using a metadata stripping program.

Do you have any cool little Kojima logos that are tangible, something the size of a lapel pin, that you could include in the photos? It could still be cropped out by someone determined, I suppose, but it would make it a little bit harder to use your photos.

OH that just sucks. Seriously, it sucks. Not only are they stealing your beautiful images, but the time and effort and skill required to take them, plus using your inventory to deceive potential buyers into thinking that the pearls belong to them. And to watermark a stolen image with their trademark is really pathetic. I know it happens all the time, but it doesn't change the fact that these companies and people who run them are scum.

I have seen some pages where right clicking to save images is forbidden. I'm not sure how that works. They can still steal your images by saving a screenshot, but the resolution won't be as good. You could also do as battah mentioned and put in a couple of tiny cute, inconspicuous logos onto every pearl.

I'm so sorry, Sarah. Be sure to use low-res images online, so the images less desirable. You can also include your copyright info in the metadata using LightRoom. I bet Josh has some ideas, but of course his images have been stolen too. We are there with you in spirit in the happy pearl cave!

That really sucks and is all too common, unfortunately. No matter what you do, if someone wants to steal one of your images, they are going to do it. It's easy to get around things like watermarks and tricks to prevent downloading of images. If it's online and it's good, someone will eventually steal it.

Check this image out. One of our direct competitors based just down the street from us took an image off our site and changed the color of the pearl. Why steal this photo? We actually cross-cut a round freshwater pearl to show the inside of it. It isn't Photoshop magic.

We've since removed it from our website.

Attachments

• PearlInfo-Nacre-CrossSection-WEB.jpg
    PearlInfo-Nacre-CrossSection-WEB.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 32
  • pearl-nacre.jpg
    pearl-nacre.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 38
That really sucks and is all too common, unfortunately. No matter what you do, if someone wants to steal one of your images, they are going to do it. It's easy to get around things like watermarks and tricks to prevent downloading of images. If it's online and it's good, someone will eventually steal it.

Check this image out. One of our direct competitors based just down the street from us took an image off our site and changed the color of the pearl. Why steal this photo? We actually cross-cut a round freshwater pearl to show the inside of it. It isn't Photoshop magic.

We've since removed it from our website.

One word comes to mind: chutzpah!

OH that just sucks. Seriously, it sucks. Not only are they stealing your beautiful images, but the time and effort and skill required to take them, plus using your inventory to deceive potential buyers into thinking that the pearls belong to them. And to watermark a stolen image with their trademark is really pathetic. I know it happens all the time, but it doesn't change the fact that these companies and people who run them are scum.

I have seen some pages where right clicking to save images is forbidden. I'm not sure how that works. They can still steal your images by saving a screenshot, but the resolution won't be as good. You could also do as battah mentioned and put in a couple of tiny cute, inconspicuous logos onto every pearl.
The right-click deterrent is easily gotten around. The only thing I have found to work is a stream of letters from an attorney, threatening legal action, if the image is not removed. Keep checking for the image, and if not removed, send another letter, and so on. Talk to a copyright attorney.
Linda

I'd say put it back on your website too, where it belongs. And then add a disclaimer that all your images are copyrighted and cannot be used without permission, and how all your images are originals and any other company using them has stolen them. Or write a blog about it... something to put those thieves to shame. Can you tell I am sick and tired of scammers? Now I am curious as to which company has stolen your image and which was the original. Care to share?

Hi Sarah, not sure whether it was already suggested, maybe instead of the watermark just taking photos on the logo paper? Then the pearl will stand out across the logos, it will not 100% guarantee not stealing your photos but it will make it much more difficult for most..

The right-click deterrent is easily gotten around. The only thing I have found to work is a stream of letters from an attorney, threatening legal action, if the image is not removed. Keep checking for the image, and if not removed, send another letter, and so on. Talk to a copyright attorney.
Linda
Expensive, and not available if the photo pincher is not in the jurisdiction

Back