Want to learn pearl knotting!!

softnsunny

Hello, here. I am an experienced beader and own a small shop in southern Australia (winter now). In my shop, I sell beads, but more of my time lately is spent doing jewellery repairs and custom made jewellery. This includes requests for re-knotting pearl necklaces. I have been using an awl, but I would really like to learn how to knot without tools. It just looks poetry in motion. I have tried Henrietta's book and youtube videos :confused: , but I would like a face-to-face tutorial/workshop/class.
I am trying for two weeks away from the shop in late July, thinking I could find somewhere a little warmer for learning. :) Broome, maybe? Googling "pearl knotting class" and similar hasn't been very successful. Maybe pearl knotting experts don't advertise on the net??
So here I am, at your pearl forum. I often look, and learn, but this time I am posting! Have you suggestions who/where I can find a pearl knotting class/workshop/teacher? I don't have a passport yet :rolleyes:, but that is a small hurdle *takes deep breath*! Thanks. Ruth

Broome? Does that mean you live in Australia? There should be lots of knotters wherever there is pearl production. Where do you live? We may have someone near you. ;)

Hi, GemGeek. Yes I live in southern Australia, willing to travel anywhere in Australia ... wouldn't mind anywhere reasonably easy to fly to ... I have an excuse of a warm holiday with an agenda! Who taught you guys, or where did you all learn?

Last edited:
Hi softnsunny,

I live in Sydney, and am just home from a buying trip and a bit of a family catchup in much warmer weather!! Flying in this morning though was heavenly... a perfect sunny Sydney morning...
I used the videos and Henrietta's book to learn, but if you are planning to be in Sydney anytime soon, you are welcome to visit!!
Welcome to PG, too!!!
And btw, we have an expert knotter in Melb as well.

we need an aussie sub-branch, and perhaps a post LA ruckus Aussie ruckus??
and Darwin in winter sounds pretty appealing..

Last edited:
Darwin ... I've not been to the Territory ... Cathybear, I would love to visit Darwin, and take a lesson(s?) in pearl knotting! It is a very generous offer of your time, thank you thank you ... *very excited*! And Nerida, thanks for your offer, too ... that bit about "just having been on a buying trip" sounds very intriguing ... lol. :D

Now the beginning of August. I flew to Darwin for a few days warm, sunny weather. And the welcome from the people in Darwin was just as warm
My very special, public thanks to PG's generous Cathybear for her time, patience and expertise as she taught me not only how to knot, but so much about pearls. Her home is swamped with what seems like thousands of strings of pearls! So many colours, shapes, and sizes! And shining so prettily. It's so beautiful, and the temptation to just TOUCH every one is overwhelming! And it feeds the soul to just talk about pearls, play with pearls ... and make a new friend. Thanks Cathy!
Hugs, Ruth

Hey, I just caught up on this news.... fantastic that you guys had your own mini mini ruckus in NT!
Cathy I am hoping to get to Darwin sometime myself over the next 6 months or so.... I don't need to learn to knot, but a catchup would be great!

Last edited:
Back