Knotting between pearls - when is it needed?

mrsadm

I'm in love with a pearl bracelet but the pearls are strung without knots in between them. This is not good, I assume, because over time the pearls will rub each other and cause some wear (am I correct?). I'm just wondering if I should spend the money and then need to have them restrung. The pearls are 9-10mm each and they are Tahitians.

I thought only very small pearls were strung without knots?

Thanks for any help!
Linda

I would restring them myself, personally. If you've never tried it, a bracelet is an easy way to begin, being short.

I wouldn't leave them unknotted.

That all depends, Linda. If the stringing material breaks, then you risk crawling around on your hands and knees to hopefully find all your scattered pearls. Knots between the pearls also allow them to drape nicely. There are several very good threads on how to string your own on PG. It is not hard, just like doing anything worthwhile, takes a bit of practice. :)

I'd restring them myself if I were you. It's a good first project. Definitely get some Beader's Secret, long eye needles and gimp from Pattye on Etsy, and review the beading tutorials here on PG.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you confirmed what I thought. I have planned to try stringing myself, and bought some stuff from Pattye, but have not yet started my project, which is restringing an old bracelet. I will thoroughly study the tutorial here before making my first attempt.
Thanks for your encouragement!
Linda

Yup, I agree, a bracelet is a quick win and a perfect first project! I would definitely restring them myself and not run the risk of losing any if the strand were to break. Also, those little knots give your eye a break and let you see more of the pearls indiviudally.

The hardest part of stringing is starting. Seriously, it isn't that hard and once you get a rhythm going, it can be pretty fast and relaxing. You'll be hitting yourself over the head if you don't restring and it breaks and lose a pearl! We are here to help you learn, and some members have posted great videos on how to string.

What color thread (I plan to use Beader's Secret) would you recommend for Tahitians? They are neither dark gray nor silver, but kind of in between.

Oak, Forrest , black or wine are my favorites for Tahitians. It depends on the colors your pearls are. Oak is a light brown.

I will try to post a photo.
bracelt2_sm.jpg

Maybe a gray color would be most unobtrusive. But also, good idea, I'll get several colors. So far I only have white.
Linda

Beautiful. Really beautiful.

I could see navy, midnight, dark green, burgundy. Dark grey would be my last choice, only because it just seems boring compared to the other colors.

Beautiful!

I would buy Sky Blue in addition to whatever else you may want to try, and maybe even Mist. Don't worry about too much contrast between the colors because overtone colors are less pronounced in normal light.

Did your beautiful bracelet arrive yet, mrsadm? I'd love to see photos of it on your wrist (or off).

Linda that bracelet is stunning! My favourites are storm for my peacock Ts and gray for my light silver Ts. Interesting to see the suggestions above, I think I will order more colours to try out.

I missed this one too...and I second the call for a variety of colors. I sometimes restring depending on my outfit, if I want to highlight a particular color. My blue pearls have been restrung on ivory, grey, storm, blue, and even rose. Who knew thread could become a fashion accessory!?!

Back