Hello! I have this
tahitourmal.jpg
tahitourmaline.jpg
and these
multisapphire.jpg
tourmaline.jpg
to make a necklace like this
tahitourmaline2.jpg

with the pink tourmaline on the inside and multi sapphire on the outside.
Do i use the same type of thread for pearl knotting with the tourmaline and sapphire and do i finish like i would with pearls using french wire when attaching to the clasp?

I appreciate any input and information. Thank you.

As far as the beads go, you have some choices:

1. String them using Power Pro, as it is strong and won't get cut so easily by the rough edges of the stones (but you may need to use the 10# test thickness if the holes are very small, as I have often found them to be in small tourmalines).
If you used gimp you would need to back-knot, but the drill holes are so small that you probably can't-- unless you back-knot through a gold or silver ball bead at the end, which would have a wider diameter and would allow the beading needle and thread through a second time. Then knot and glue the knot.

If you don't want a larger-diameter ball bead at the end, you may wish to try using clamshell bead ends like these:
artbeads_2362_6530690568

Make a large knot (i.e. overlapping small knots) and place it in the clamshell with a dab of glue. This is easy when starting the necklace. When finishing, you will need some dexterity to hold the thread tightly against the inside of the clamshell while you knot, or you will end up with slack and gaps in the necklace. If you use doubled Power Pro, the knot will seat itself as you pull the two threads apart, but you will want to make several knots (i.e. a big knot) and also glue them to keep them from sliding back out of the clamshell. I have not tried this and do not know if doubled Power Pro plus a beading needle will actually fit through the drill holes of the beads. Test first.

[Hmm, I just had an idea. I wonder if it might work to thread the needle through a very small crimp bead inside the clamshell, make a single knot, flatten the crimp and then close the clamshell over the little crimp bead? This might help the knot not to slip, over time, back through the hole in the clamshell. I'll have to test this.]

After you close the clamshell the 2 rings are together. You can then use a jump ring to attach the clamshell bead end to the clasp.

2. String them on fine, multi-ply plastic-coated beading wire (like Soft-Touch). Beading wire is less likely to be cut, over time, by the edges of the stones. The very fine wire is quite flexible. With beading wire you do not need to use a needle. I know from experience that the finest wires will pass through the drill holes of small beads.

To attach the clasp, you will need to thread the end of the wire through a crimp tube (I like to use Twisted Tornado crimps), through the clasp ring, back through the crimp tube and then flatten the crimp with pliers. When necessary I have added a wider-diameter ball bead at the end to have a bead to double back through, in order to hide the cut end of the beading wire, so the cut end of the wire won't feel scratchy on your neck.

There are "guardians" to cover the wire that passes through the clasp, but I have never used them nor had my wire break.

As far as the pearl itself goes:
If you want the pearl to slide freely over the beads (so that it stays centered) and especially if you want it to be removable (so that it may be worn on other chains) you'll want to purchase a large bail. Enhancer-type bails are good for this.

Is the pearl drilled through? Then you can use a head-pin to make a wrapped loop to connect it with the large bail. You can make the pendant simpler or fancier depending on what sort of head pin you choose, and whether you add spacers or other beads to decorate it.

If it's half-drilled, you can glue in your choice of post and bail using 2-part epoxy.

Thank you so much, Pearl Dreams
It's a little overwhelming but now at least i have an idea on how to proceed. I might be back with more questions...:D

I didn't mean to make it complicated. Have you done any beading before?

Definitely come back with any questions!

Two additions to Pearl Dreams excellent post:
Those wire "guardians" have a very sharp edge that is not pleasant on the back of the neck.
I have used a #15 seed bead as a knot stopper inside the clam shell end covers with success. (also remember to glue the knot).

Bailey, your pearl and stones are beautiful together. Good luck!

I didn't mean to make it complicated. Have you done any beading before?

Definitely come back with any questions!

No, I haven't done any beading before. I have two strands of baby ripples and a rope of tahitian harvest i have yet to knot but i've been procrastinating lately. I've viewed some pearl knotting videos and I'm quite confident I can do it. As far as the pearl pendant, I don't have a problem putting it together. I can drill and glue,etc. But in terms of working with stones, i have no clue. Thank goodness for The Lowly Beader's club.:)

Marianne, that's useful information about the "guardians". Also great to know the seed bead works as a knot stopper!

Bailey, we all started sometime or other-- if it doesn't work the first time, just do it over!

http://www.beadalon.com/products/JTCRIMP1.asp

beadalon wire is used best for pieces with hard material because the wire has 7 14 49 wires so won't break because friction of the beads you use a wire and a little silver or gold piece and the pliers from the link to bent them on they sell so much crap for hobbyist at the website as a professional jeweller you would almost forget how nice the wire and easy it is to put the crimp beads on there

we sold quite some faceted diamond bead necklaces and always used this stuff because we knew its so hard to break

for normal wire they call dandy line it holds like 9 kilo on the small size strings so is quite good and the nylon covered wire what is used for things like diamond necklaces and other gemstone necklaces is here http://www.beadalon.com/bead_stringing_wire/beadalon_bead_stringing_wire.asp

crimps is the name of the end pieces i think

sometimes it does look nicer to do it the normal way on pearl silk and with knots between but this will do the job otherwise without much thinking how to do it :)

dm

Very comprehensive advice ! Excellent ! I've used these small gemstones as well and have always had to poke the power pro through the beads as needle didn't fit . Generally using the strongest one that fit through the holes ('which can be a bit inconsistent in size at times ) . Very fine wire I think is the easiest ..I use the 49 strand ... finishing it off with tornado crimp. This is a great project and your stones are gorgeous. Keep us posted.

Does anyone else find that the wire and stone combo pulls the hair on the back of your neck ? Lol

Daniel ..how do you finish off the high end pieces you do ? Is the crimp left visible or do you hide it in some fashion?

I like Beadalon as well! And I use it for everything but the very tiniest holes. It comes in lots of colors.

The finest gauge of Soft Touch (.010 inch) is slightly thinner than the finest gauge of Beadalon (.012 inch) so in case the Beadalon proves too thick, try the Soft Touch instead.

Those crimp beads that are folded over with the crimping tool also work, but I personally like the finished look (and gripping strength) of the Twisted Tornadoes better, and I prefer being able to just flatten the crimp with my regular chain nose pliers. It's also one less tool to buy.
To each their own, though-- they all work.

Last edited:
Bailey, that looks like it will be make a beautiful necklace. I love those colours!

hey katbran i make a gold piece for the end like the crimps they have only better :p then i clean that up after i clamp it in then take the laser and will try to shoot some of the metal end wire ( if metal wire is used ) with the gold just to make it extra strong and then i can just laser a lock or whatever i want to the golden piece used at the end

i have a fun one made when i was 18 or 19 and finishing school working for a danish goldsmith its a south sea pearl that i cut in two and where you can put the wire in and turn a crew to get it stuck and the two half pearls close like a normal lock i will try to make some pictures of these took me 2 weeks and 26 parts in a 10 mm pearl just to make the lock :p

this is the piece where i made that lock on because the golden pendants and pearls are heavy and because the rough diamonds used i used the beadalon wire and its still on there and in perfect shape :) when i have time this week ill try to find some old pictures of the lock

IMG_5998.jpg

Last edited:
Daniel, Quite a few of us would love a lazer to weld with, lol! Yes, want to see the lock!!

Bailey, Love your design and looking forward to seeing it all together! You've gotten great advice, thanks to PD and others. Agree the 49 strand designer wire is the softest and most flexible. Thread simply doesn't work for all stringing jobs.

My experience with wire guardians is that they are scratchy, as Marianne mentioned.

Remarkably helpful advice from everyone here ... and breathtaking jewelry Daniel! Bailey1856, given the pearl you have and the stones ... you're going to have one incredible piece when done ... can't wait to see it :)

I can't help with your questions but I really look forward to seeing the project completed!

Back