tourmaline/sapphirerondelle with tahitian project, help needed

I like Softflex, the only other thing I would suggest is to pull 3 or 4 beads between your thumb and forefinger from the loose strand and thread it through your new thread, it's much faster this way.

If you don't like having such a large section of the necklace where it's all metal (crimp + loop of wire + clasp + loop of wire + crimp on the other end), and if the final bead's drill hole is wide enough to double the wire back through it, you can put the crimp one bead back from the clasp, like I did here:

attachment.php

It makes the crimp slightly less prominent and allows for a smaller interruption in the flow of the beads.

Also, I've noticed that I have to take care to place the Tornado crimps very straight on the wire before flattening them; if they are at all at an angle, the corners of the flattened crimp can feel a bit scratchy. This never happens if the crimp is sandwiched between 2 round beads.

PD - Thanks for that, I have tried it and it does look a lot better than the sudden drop to flat crimp , jump ring, clasp .. And I certainly know what you mean about those little edges! Excellent point about the placement eliminating that issue. I have usually just done it for the visual effect. lol But I keep seeing pieces that are obviously on wire but its brought back through a flattened sphere of some sort. Like a solid 4mm ball thats been squashed into a fat disk. I wonder if thats one of the scrimp like findings .. I've never tried them ... anyone else?? They are the one with the little screw..

I know what you're talking about Katbran, I wonder if you need a special crimper for those? Looks a lot neater than my cylindrical crimps.

PD the one Im talking about is a unit that is the crimp .. it just looks like a bead..I'll see if I find a photo ... they are on some of the department store jewellery lines.

I've used those crimp covers back before I switched to the tornados ...

Kelluv - I don't think it's a crimper for those..I think there is like a tiny tool you use (that you have to buy ) and it screws in the crimp. I just never knew how secure they were..

It looks lovely - please keep us up-dated with progress reports and of course photos!!

Love the project! And love the concentration of different solutions.
I've used the 49 strand flexible wire for stones, because of the sharpness & abrasion issues. I ran the wire through a crimp, through gimp, through the clasp, back through the crimp, then crimped & covered the crimp with a crimp cover. This was to avoid the scratchy & raw-looking wire guards, and I thought the crimp cover looked more finished than a flattened tornado. It looks almost just like a solid metal bead, if you're careful. Available in 14K.

Cheers,

Yes, I've used the gimp too.

I've also wound 28 gauge wire around a fine needle to make a tube like gimp. It curves around into a loop when pulled tight (doesn't overlap the way gimp does). It's sturdy and looks nice.

pictures are so old i could not find any clear ones, this is the lock where the wire goes into the lock then you string it back over a lil piece of gold inside the lock and a screw locks them together so its super strong and you don't see and cramps or ugly pieces :) the lock closes like bajonet only have no pictures of when i finished that part.

you only need to find a goldsmith crazy enough to work for a week on a lock ;) but something similar like this could be made in any type of bead as long as you know a ( well educated ) goldsmith

DSC_0083.jpg
IMG_6240.jpg

Last edited:
Wowza, that is a lot of work! But the end result is wonderful!!!

I LOVE THAT! That looks so modern and sophisticated .. you are the best ! :cool:
Narcissa - I've used those crimp bead covers in the past and they look great (as you said...when you're careful lol ) . I was hoping that there was a slightly more sophisticated mechanism to use but short of taking my loupe into the high end jewellery store and inspecting the way they have closed each necklace I'm probably not going to figure this out lol

We need Daniel to design something that can be mass produced !

Last edited:
Back