Tom Stern's natural pearls

Robert Wan Tahitian Speech in Dubai

Robert Wan Tahitian Speech in Dubai

Hi, All,

Speaking on the first day of the World Pearl Forum, Robert Wan of Tahiti radiated a benevolent calm and great intelligence. He said he has dedicated 36 years to Tahitian pearls, Pinctada margaritifera.

French Polynesia consists of more than 100 islands spread over an area larger than Europe, with few people, who are mostly on one island. I believe he said most of his production takes place in the Gambier Archipelago, some 1,800 kilometers from Tahiti's main city.

Their waters are 5,000 kilometers from the nearest industrial complex. He said the "Pearl Rush" began in 1960 with the first cultured Tahitians, and by 1980 it had become a boom. In 1977, the Mikimoto Company bought his first 1,700 pearls. Now he described a "crisis of oversupply," and mentioned some kind of taxation problem that threatens disruption of the Tahitian business, aggravated by wide price fluctuations.

According to Mr. Wan, pearls are 2% of the jewelry market worldwide.

I liked some of his poetic comments.

--A Pearl catches light and spreads positive vibrations all around.

--A pearl is the only gem born of an animal, which must live in harmony with its environment. It is the gem of the 21st Century.

--A Pearl symbolizes harmony between man and nature.

As for the American Pearl Roundup, I am glad to have any volunteers. The date will be set later.

Best,
Tom

I look forward to seeing future harvests from China. Thank you for the report. I like Robert Wan's comments about pearls.

For the competition, I'll limit the retail price to $20,000 for an ocean strand and will call upon wholesalers to contribute material for the test. For the Chinese FW, I'll set the limit at $1,500 for the strands, so the judges will be comparing similar pearls coming from a significantly different price point. Any comments on this? Should the price points be higher? Lower?

Only strands, no loose pearls?

I assume that colors will need to be standardized to some range common for all types, unless treatment allowed... But even so, strands should be far easier to tell apart then picking pearls from a pile of un-drilled, whites / cream pearls!

Also, how about a virtual version of the affair?

To make it real science, the judging will have to be double-blinded, ..

What's the chance that a natural pearl could be identified in such a test...

Chinese Industry

Chinese Industry

Already the chinese Industry has been
designed for the masses. We have seen over the
last 30 years rice bubbles to near round of high quality
but many have been bleached and dyed etc.
We notice, others set the standards, i .e South Seas,
Broome,Tahiti Black Pearl, and others tend to follow with
varying results.
Thank goodness for PURISTS who dont get tired into
the mass market and enjoy the pleasure of a one off.

Hi, All,

As for the American Pearl Roundup, I am glad to have any volunteers. The date will be set later.

Best,
Tom

Tom, I'm an attorney, and a mermaid, and a pearl freak, AND I work in San Francisco, AND I would love to see these amazing pearls. Do I qualify???

Sheri

Tom, I'm an attorney, and a mermaid, and a pearl freak, AND I work in San Francisco, AND I would love to see these amazing pearls. Do I qualify???

Sheri

Sheri, I think you win...

Yes, Tom - was there much discussion concerning the material used for the nucleation of the larger CFW you saw? I am finding it difficult within China to have much awareness of the nucleation process acknowledged...

Hi Tom,

interesting as the question about the nucleus material may be I would like to know just how thick the nacre would be in a pearl with a nucleus that gives the result of 20 mm and is the nacre the same thickness in relation to the nucleus in smaller pearls (13 - 19 mm)?

Hi Tom,

interesting as the question about the nucleus material may be I would like to know just how thick the nacre would be in a pearl with a nucleus that gives the result of 20 mm and is the nacre the same thickness in relation to the nucleus in smaller pearls (13 - 19 mm)?

Hi,

A very good question but I don't know. Will ask around, as headed for Asia in a few days.

As for the Roundup, anyone who wants to attend will be welcome. I'll ask a Professor of Statistics at Stanford to review the test design to make sure it has enough statistical power to be worth a damn.

Best regards,
Tom

Hi,

A very good question but I don't know. Will ask around, as headed for Asia in a few days.

Best regards,
Tom

Hi Tom and thanks for the fast reply. If you are asking, please ask also if someone does know how many years i takes for the mussel to grow a certain tickness of nacre. I think that the nacre on such large pearls should be well over 2 mm or more to make the pearls not wearing down to the "core" too soon.

Anyway I also would like to know for a "tissue only" pearl with a size of 11-13 mm, how long that takes for the mussel......:rolleyes:

Tom,

Is The Great Pearl roundup to be a public event? Who will be allowed to attend? I'll be most interested to see how it is organized.

Tom,

Is The Great Pearl roundup to be a public event? Who will be allowed to attend? I'll be most interested to see how it is organized.

Yes, it will be open to pearl lovers. My thought at the moment is that the judges can only look at, but not pick up and heft the pearls. What is your opinion on that? Inviting all opinions on that question.

Best regards,
Tom

This is meant as test for how different pearls look when worn, right?

The setup sounds fantastic for this (since the strands are under more harsh observation in the test conditions then when worn, etc.).

Is this enough?

I could only try to guess this... There aren't any pearl face-ups in the press for me to get an impression on how these sort of bits are read & spread. There are a couple of such public polls about diamonds, already with a hefty media record that could be relevant for comparison (or not).

Just a thought....

More on Dubai World Pearl Forum

More on Dubai World Pearl Forum

Hello to all,

Gaitti Rabbani, head of pearls for the Dubai Multi-Commodities Center, as the opening speaker reminded everyone that in Mandarin, the character for Crisis is composed of two different characters: Danger + Opportunity. They were trying to so frame the economic situation facing those in the pearl business world.

The speaker also repeated Karl Lagerfeld's maxim, "Bling Is Dead," in an effort to distinguish pearls as the power gem, always in good taste.

Nicholas Paspaley then spoke in his masterful way. Pearling has been going on in Dubai for 5,000 years. Until 1920s, the Persian Gulf was the source of most prized pearls. Pinctada radiata oysters were abundant in shallow waters around the shorelines and islands. (My note: A series of underwater rivers bathing Bahrain's pearling beds in fresh water, to mix with the saltwater, may be why the luster of a Bahrain pearl can be so "jiwan", or beautiful, AAA grade.)

Pinctada maxima oysters flourish in deeper waters around Australia, Indonesia, and Southeast Asia, and its shell in addition to any pearl, has value. Mr. Paspaley called it the King of Oysters, the Queen of Pearl Oysters, source of the Pearl of Queens.

Chinese saltwater naturals were fished out of Leizhou by the 1700s. Most other saltwater natural pearl fisheries were barren by 1850, except very deep. In the 1880s, compressed air inventions allowed deep, hard hat diving in Australia. This new find of very deep shells caused the Victorian Pearl Era, a very rich time, wherein pearling towns were often destroyed by storms and wild living.

He said culturing a pearl is easy; but culturing a fine pearl is very, very difficult. He said there is confusion in the marketplace, but that now is the greatest era for pearls in history.

Regards to all,
Tom

Thanks Tom
This thread is so informative. Thanks for taking the time to report.

Are you getting anywhere with the "tissue-nuked" SSP?

Hi to all pearl lovers!
I was scanning the net for some "deep" information about freshwater pearls and came across Pearl-Guide, an incredible resource about everything pearls. I then found myself tangled up in this Very interesting thread.
I have a information resource about Antique Jewelry and so Im really interested in natural pearls too - in fact just, all types of pearls. Particularly pearls set in Antique Jewelry.

BTW has anyone seen the Baroda pearl carpet to be auctioned this month (set with pearls and gemstones)?

I stumbled upon Mr T Sterns' remarkable suite of royal jewels earlier on in the thread. This set is are absolutely beautiful! The pearls with the high carat gold look so luxurious together.

Tom, could you please tell us more about this beautiful and immensely interesting suite of jewels if possible.

You mention the suite is probably 17th century. Could I ask, what makes you think they are 17th century? - on first impression, from the one photograph, the jewelry looks to me to be more in keeping with victorian era jewelry. Are the pearls themselves 17th or earlier?

I have a Georgian ring, set with what I think, are three natural pearls, I would love to hear PGers opinions as to whether or not the pearls are indeed natural or later replacements. If anyone is interested in pearls set in antique jewelry I would be happy to post a pic.

I am so excited to find this informative and friendly website about pearls.
The report Tom, as Caitlin mentions, I too thought was very interesting. Yvonne

Welcome to the forum, Yhammouda-Eyre!

Yes we have seen about the auction, I just don?t remember who it was posting about it. Please send us a picture of your ring so we can take a closer look of both pearls, hallmarks within the ring or any other marks thatcan be of any help.

Back