Tom Stern's natural pearls

Well, a white conch would be pretty rare; I do see a flame pattern, so that is my guess, likely wrong, though. Certainly amazing in it's roundness and perfection------------

Good guess

Good guess

Thanks for taking the effort to play the game. A great guess, knowledge-based. There are tens of thousands of conch pearls, while this is very, very rare. So, thanks, but No Cigar.

Tom

Congratulations Dr. Tom - member Dubai Pearl Exchange. Cool. :cool:
I also looooove your avatar. ;)
Cheers,
Blaire

Blaire,

I can't believe you aren't even going to guess-----------Dr. Tom, I gave up cigars a long time ago-----------;)

Blaire,

I can't believe you aren't even going to guess-----------Dr. Tom, I gave up cigars a long time ago-----------;)

There's something very familiar about it, but I'm so tired that my brain hurts. But you did give me a chuckle about the cigars! ;)

I think there is someone on this forum who uses that as their avatar. I would swear I was just reading about flame pattern being visible in something other than conch pearls recently but cannot make my mind remember what it was. Please someone, anyone, ??

A great guess.

A great guess.

A stab in the dark: Turbinella Pyrum, by any chance?

Hi, Valeria,

Wow! That was a great guess. Had to get out my Strack book because I'd never heard of it. But no, it is not a Turbinella.

This is an unexpected bonus of the guessing game...putting esoteric pearl conversation into more general circulation. Thanks to you I'll have my men begin to look for such a pearl. Do you know of any existing close-up photographs of Turbinella pearls?

Sincerely,
Tom:)

It looks like a certified nautilus pearl I saw recently.

Is your avatar a hint?

I would like to see the original photo cropped just outside the pearl, then it would post much larger.

Last edited:
Do you know of any existing close-up photographs of Turbinella pearls?

No, no pictures. Now, I am not 100% sure the two little pearls I remember were certainly from T. Pyrrum (Chank). Other types of large white shells are used to make mounds of beads and inexpensive bangles... and when someone fishes enough shells for long enough, there's bound to be some pearls laying around and taxonomy isn't a big concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to get out my Strack book because I'd never heard of it. But no, it is not a Turbinella.
I got out my Strack and checked every index, but among the Turbos I did not find a single Turbinella. Google was great, however. And the animal does appear capable of such a pearl. Effisk's Nautilus pearls do hint at something similar.

The air of suspense around here surrounding this pearl, Effisk's Nautilus pearls, and Dr. Tom's 'close up' pearl is palpable. The tension is becoming nearly unbearable. Who needs Hitchcock? (!!)

I vote for Nautilus too.

But wait! This is the second-rarest pearl known? What is the rarest pearl known then? This is where the suspense really lies!

Report from Dubai Pearl Show/ Bahrain pearls

Report from Dubai Pearl Show/ Bahrain pearls

Hello Pearl Lovers,

Just returned last night aboard grueling flight from Dubai to San Francisco after the Colored Gems and Pearl Show sponsored by ICA and the Dubai Pearl Exchange.

Rather like a micro-Tucson, about 120 booths displayed remarkable colored stones, and less remarkable pearls, mainly cultured. I simply wandered around meeting people. Vendors reported slow sales.

There were a number of melo-melo pearls for sale in the $100,000 plus range.

One of my interests is whether new pearls are coming out of Bahrain. I interviewed at least 6 people who buy natural "Oriental" pearls whenever they become available. All reported no new Bahrain pearls except for some insignificant seed pearls. These are people who buy in the million dollar market and have been in the business for several generations. They agree that Bahrain pearls on the market either come from old stock or originate elsewhere and are repositioned as of Bahrain origin. I plan to visit Bahrain soon to further explore this matter. As you may recall, I found reference to the origin of these pearls as being from Papua New Guinea.

However, most of the big natural pearl players agreed there still are oyster beds in Bahrain that could be productive, and that lack of divers or dredges, not extinction of pearling beds, explains why there are few to no new pearls. Even at $2,500 per carat or more for good naturals, better investment returns can be made in real estate development.

I'll submit additional information as it comes along after I visit Bahrain to directly question locals.

Tom Stern,MD
San Francisco, CA

Dr. Tom,

Thanks for the update. Ahem, we are still breathlessly awaiting revelation of the amazing white round pearl---------------------

Ahem, we are still breathlessly awaiting revelation of the amazing white round pearl---------------------
Not to mention a full view of that tantalizingly three-dimensional, flamed, iridescent marine gastropod pearl subject of the 'close up' in the thread of the same name.

Marine Gastropod...probably white conch

Marine Gastropod...probably white conch

Not to mention a full view of that tantalizingly three-dimensional, flamed, iridescent marine gastropod pearl subject of the 'close up' in the thread of the same name.

SSEF certified this as a marine gastropod, some 73 carats and beautiful. On closeup, it has the turquoise flame pattern. Can you imagine this as a pendant?

Tom

Attachments

• Yolanda Pearl Photos July 08 088.jpg
    Yolanda Pearl Photos July 08 088.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 37
Back