The Pearl Source: Trusted vendor?

The pearls looked really nice until I used the enlarging feature. They have a lot of pits for being AAA quality, so be sure to check out their grading scale.

They have an (atypical) A-AAAA grading scale (which I can see when I click on "Learn More" for all their other types of pearls, but for some reason the link doesn't work for Tahitians.)

That means their AAA won't be their best quality. I used the Zoom feature and saw all the flaws. Mind you, if luster is high it can make flaws less noticeable.

I have heard that returns can be problematic with that company. You have to get a return authorization. And pay $10 shipping if the item was shipped to you free. Their policy is posted.

Last edited:
At least one member here and over on "the other" forum had a very unpleasant experience with the Pearl Source. When she posted about it, the owner began harassing her. I would not purchase from them.

I have not purchased anything from them, however, I do agree that upon closer inspection, those pearls do appear to have a number of flaws. This is one of my pet peeves about how certain vendors photograph their pearls (not those active on PG!). Always always always ask for additional photos under various lighting conditions...especially when buying cultured Tahitian pearls. If a vendor refuses to send additional shots, RUN DON"T WALK. That's a huge red flag! Learn how to "read" a photo. Most stock photos are shots taken using a light box (absolutely nothing wrong with that). Photos in direct sunlight will show luster, but not overtone. Indirect daylight will show overtone, but may mute luster a bit. Decide which factors are most important to you in selecting your pearls...is it shape, color, size, luster, surface quality (blemishing)? Wonderful luster will minimize surface flaws, while fantastic overtone may be more desirable than ultra sharp luster. And most certainly don't be afraid to ask if there are other strands in your price range. My final bit of advice, when trying to decide, post a photo here...we absolutely love to give opinions.

I concur about the photos. The strand in the photo is a stock photo, not a photo of the actual piece.

There is one other little trick I recommend employing, and that is examining the SKU. The SKU will usually tell you whether the photo is a stock image or the actual piece. The SKU for this strand is 9.5-15-MCTSSP-Bar-R-36. You can read it like a description, and the piece can repeated over and over again.

This is what 9.5-15-MCTSSP-Bar-R-36 means: 9.5-10.5 mm, multicolor Tahitian and South Sea pearl, baroque and round, 36 inches. There are no unique identifiers like numbers or letters added to it. That means it's a stock photo. There's a chance it's the first one they made and it hasn't sold yet, but if it's been on the site for a while, there is very little chance of that.

Also, if you ask for a photo, don't accept the answer "the one in the image is the one you will receive." That is typically the answer I've heard people receive even though it is not true. There are a few threads here on Pearl-Guide about this. One I specifically recall is about this strand, which has been on their site for close to 10 years now. I believe there are two threads somewhere on PG about this particular necklace, twice purchased as "the strand in the image is the exact strand you will receive," yet what was received was completely different.

I got wary of this vendor when they acknowledged that what I was looking at was a stock photo but couldn't or wouldn't show me a picture of what I would actually receive if I went forward with the purchase. I'm particular about shape, luster, and blemishing, and although the stock strand was beautiful, it was described as consisting of baroque pearls when the picture clearly showed a strand made of smooth drops. This made me wonder if what I might receive might not be anything like what I was expecting. They stopped replying to my emails once I said that I really preferred to see a picture of the actual strand I would receive before deciding whether or not to go forward.

That said, I know there is at least one member here who has a gorgeous Tahitian strand from this vendor IIRC. I think she shopped in person though. (And that's a beautiful design).

They are often stock photos as often there are a few in stock though so you have to trust the source. I have a few pairs of earrings in my cart for comparison. Some give you a choice of colors like green, gray or peacock. You don't know exactly how the overtones will play over the pearl or even what they wil be. If you can add more than one strand to the cart then you know the photo is a representation.

Then again you can get one or more photos of actual pearls & they will look different in color as pearl just play tricks with the camera.

To pick in person is always the best but not always possible.

Better to buy when you know there is a good no hassle return policy.

I may need to see some in person to better be able to know what color I would like as maybe seeing them would broaden my color palate.

I hate to buy earrings & send them back but its good to know you can if really don;t please.

Camelot,

This is true. A good return policy eliminates risk. We're I in the US, I'd probably worry less and buy more. But I'm also international so shipping and customs gets pricey, and I like to mitigate that risk if I can.

Great info on how to read the pictures Jp, and how to read the stock numbers, Jeremy!

Thanks Jeremy,

I never thought much about the SKU but its good to consider that too. A single strand would need more number details to be recognised in inventory. I generally see how many they will let you put in the cart then I know how many they have. I would be hesitant with international shipping in general as things get lost too easily. If there is a import fee it can be a hassle & postage is very $$$..

Earrings are more sanitary than strands with silk. Gold& is can be wiped with alcohol & they would be safe but once something is in the silk it would need to be restrung.

At least one member here and over on "the other" forum had a very unpleasant experience with the Pearl Source. When she posted about it, the owner began harassing her. I would not purchase from them.

When you can't hide behind an anonomous website anymore negative comments can hurt. \
To be fair I will let one slide as there is always someone who gets it in there craw to unreasonably destroy someone but too many is a red flag. Truth is its part of business & if they can't handle some negative feedback without starting a war of harassing attacks then its best not to give them your hard earned money.

Last edited:
Camelot - Earrings are not safe when wiped with alcohol. Earrings go through the lobe..piercings can be infected or even scratched, blood can transfer as can a virus. Even irritated piercings can leak a fluid that isn't noticed. An alcohol wipe will not sterilise the post. Hepatitis can survive on jewellery for up to 4 days and isn't effected by alcohol .

Camelot - Earrings are not safe when wiped with alcohol. Earrings go through the lobe..piercings can be infected or even scratched, blood can transfer as can a virus. Even irritated piercings can leak a fluid that isn't noticed. An alcohol wipe will not sterilise the post. Hepatitis can survive on jewellery for up to 4 days and isn't effected by alcohol .

OOOhhhhhh....Thats not good...I thought alcohol would kills many things...OK I have f10 for bird clean up. It kills bacteria & viruses.
I also have phystan for plants & its a really nasty virucide...plus allthe others. Guess there is strong bleach too.

I have to be careful as I am on chemo & did just buy 3 antique pairs of earrings...all threaded post too!

Gosh I feel stupid...all the chemistry & pre med I took & I never knew....

OOOOh 4 days....well its gone by now & it took a few days to post...I guess I'm ok///

Thanks for the heads up///these days there are so many nastys & right now I don;t need to be near any of them...

I was going to say you were up late but you're in Australia. Its almost 10PM by Mom but she is probably asleep. Just went thru a few pictures & I would like to call her but its late. Tomorrow is Thursday & its her day to go to town so she is up early & its a long day. I'm still up & its almost 5AM CA time.

When I can;t sleep I peruse the pearl forum...or rather the forum keeps me up too late.

I better get to bed before the sun comes up....LOL

Last edited:
If pierced earrings cannot be properly sterilized with alcohol, what do vendors do about returned pierced earrings?

If we buy a pair of pearl earrings, how do we know they were not previously purchased by someone else and returned, given the generous return policies that are common among our trusted vendors? It seems like maybe it's best to assume they were, and to clean them ourselves before wearing. How should we clean them, then?

Personally, I do not allow returns on earrings as they are considered "intimate" items. In order to properly sterilize, you would have to pop them into an autoclave, but I don't know how that would impact the pearl. I suppose you could also boil them for 20 minutes, but that could damage the pearl. It may be that some states prohibit the return of earring components...but don't quote me on that...I'd have to do some research on consumer law. I did have one pair returned once, which I then scrapped the gold findings...that was an expensive lesson. I would assume that higher volume retailers simply scrap the metal and either reuse or recycle it in some way. But for a little guy like me, it isn't cost effective.

... I would assume that higher volume retailers simply scrap the metal and either reuse or recycle it in some way. But for a little guy like me, it isn't cost effective.

That is an interesting assumption.... I wonder if it's true, though? It seems extreme.
I suppose the metal finding could be removed and steam-cleaned. But I'm not confident that is done, either.

Edit: Steam cleaning is apparently not enough. Steaming under pressure (autoclaving) is different from steaming not under pressure. The temperature is higher under pressure.

At some local stores -- like T J Maxx-- one can try on earrings; they clean them with an alcohol wipe. Not all stores allow this, but it's pretty common. When I'm looking at earrings I'm often asked if I want to try them on. In other words, I think most people believe that wiping with alcohol is sufficient. Soaking for an extended time might be enough if wiping isn't. I think I'll research a bit more.

Last edited:
Back