First purchase

aR.Dy

Hi,
I’m new to this forum and I need help with my new purchase. I just received my pearls and was not wowed by it. Then I read a discussion about the pear source not being a trustworthy source. So I want to make sure I didn’t totally waste my hard-earned money on it. It says it is South Sea, 12mm studs, AAA quality. I tried to gently rub the pearls against each other and they felt very smooth.
Could anyone please tell me if these are real?

I have a another set of earrings that I received as a gift from my mother-in-law and they are dangling pearls about 10.8mm, and they felt gritty when rubbed against each other. Could anyone please tell me what kind of pearls they are?

I appreciate all the help. Thank you!
IMG_3361.jpeg
IMG_3357.jpeg
IMG_3362.jpeg
IMG_3360.jpeg

Regarding the SSP from The Pearl Source, I have never heard of them selling anything other than genuine pearls.
However, you said you were not wowed by them. 12mm South Sea pearls are very expensive, and AAA grade should wow you.
This is exactly what return policies are for.

As to the second pearls-- to clarify, are we talking about only the dangles, not the hoops?
I don't know if there are some odd reflections in the pearls or if those are actually scratches all over them.

They could be lower end SSP; the satiny luster and cooler white color lead me to think that, and also the fact that they are not well matched for shape. FWP being more abundant it would be easier to match for shape.

Regarding the SSP from The Pearl Source, I have never heard of them selling anything other than genuine pearls.
However, you said you were not wowed by them. 12mm South Sea pearls are very expensive, and AAA grade should wow you.
This is exactly what return policies are for.

As to the second pearls-- to clarify, are we talking about only the dangles, not the hoops?
I don't know if there are some odd reflections in the pearls or if those are actually scratches all over them.

They could be lower end SSP; the satiny luster and cooler white color lead me to think that, and also the fact that they are not well matched for shape. FWP being more abundant it would be easier to match for shape.
Hi, thank you for your insight, I really appreciate it. I feel reassured that my SSP from The Pearl Source is genuine. Yet I am still perplexed by the fact that I am not wowed by it. The only reason I could think of is maybe I am not a “pearl person”, and at the back of my mind, I know that for the price I paid, I could’ve gotten another good quality diamond. I didn’t realize that pearls were so expensive! Wow! I think I’ll wear them once and see how I feel about them before my 60-day return ends.

As to the other pair, the dangles, good to know they could be SSP. I’ve never noticed the scratches until you mentioned them. Thank you! I’ll be careful not to store them with other jewelry to avoid more scratches.

The quality does not look like AAA to me.
Return them if you don't feel like you got your money's worth!
I am sure you can get AAA grades that you will love, from another vendor.

Yet I am still perplexed by the fact that I am not wowed by it. The only reason I could think of is maybe I am not a “pearl person”
Maybe you are just a 'different kind' of pearl person. There is so much variety in shapes and colors. If you hang around this forum, you will see so much more than large, white pearls.

I believe the Pearl Source grades to AAAA. They do not look bad, but I agree that "okay" may not be where the heart is. South Sea pearls do have a satiny look compared to a harder shine of Akoya, or even some of the newer large freshwater that can give anything a run for their money looks wise. But, if you don't love them send them back and get something you DO love! There are so many to pick from.

Also, let us remember that one company's AAA may be another company's AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...and another's AA+
Many companies use their own internal grading system, so we cannot expect grading uniformity.

Back