Are pearl prices on the rise?

heartofawareness

I was speaking with a vendor looking to buy some South Sea Pearls and she told me that

"pearl prices have risen by about 50% or more recently due to the drop in cultivation. As of 2023, high-quality pearls are predicted to rise in price and will continue in the near future"

Is this true?

Thank you!

Monica

Certainly akoya prices are on the rise. I imagine SSP also if the cultivation is decreased.

There is another discussion about this, with link to an article you may like to read:

Certainly akoya prices are on the rise. I imagine SSP also if the cultivation is decreased.

There is another discussion about this, with link to an article you may like to read:
Thank you @Pearl Dreams. Wow..shocking! I better get my orders in. I'm glad I found this forum.

Monica

It seems SSP prices have risen dramatically since this thread was started. The only listed pearl producer in the world, Atlas Pearls, just reported that they collected over $100 per loose pearl over the last 6 months via auction, up from ~$30-50 for the preceding 6 month period.

Has anyone noticed a dramatic increase in SSP prices as of late? Does anyone have any insight into the driver of dramatic price rise. Some theories include: (1) China cracking down on freshwater farming practices due to environmental concerns, and (2) change in cyclical fashion trends, particularly in China. I'm not an insider and I have scoured the internet for an answer, but there just doesn't seem to be a coherent explanation.

What I would really like to know is: (1) what is driving the current dramatic price rise, and (2) how long will this elevated price likely last for.

Back