The GIA course, is it updated yet?

msLondon

Community member
Hi all

does anyone know if the GIA pearl course has been updated yet.
would like to do the distance learning course before the summer and then the pearl grading lab course in July.

thank u !

It's not updated yet. I would not be surprised if it does not get released by the end of the year like planned. If you are going to take the course, though, it is going to be worth the wait. There is a lot of information in the current course that is not or no longer correct.

This is a timely post as I was just thinking about taking this course as well! I guess I will wait and see what happens. Thanks!

Maybe we should have our own pg class... I am also waiting to hear and to see if this will be available to me here as well.

i wonder y its taking soooo long. I've been waiting a year.hmmm.
Thanks everyone
Maybe we should start something here, whilst we wait.

When I went to preview the new pearl grading lab, I think they mentioned Spring of 2010. When it does debut, they will have the online version as well. The online versions of the classes have wonderful videos and all kinds of extras, so that's a good thing. ;)

would anyone be interested in a proper academically accredited university based course if I could get one off the ground?

It's not updated yet. I would not be surprised if it does not get released by the end of the year like planned. If you are going to take the course, though, it is going to be worth the wait. There is a lot of information in the current course that is not or no longer correct.

Jeremmy, what about the people that have already studied the current version? should they go back and take the updated one? It is unfair studying for six months to find out at the end that what you have accumulated as knowledge is false.Since there is very little information about pearls in my country I am starting a blog in my native language based on GIA accredited information.Should I wait until GIA's updated study is available?

akoya

I think it would be worth a retake, yes. The first version does have a lot of really good information and offers a good education in pearls. But the next version is going to be much better.

If you have taken the first version, they will have a new written part you can order without paying for the whole course. And they are talking about letting people have access to the online version for a brief period if they have already taken the course. We'll have to wait and see if they can actually do that. ;)

If you have taken the first version, they will have a new written part you can order without paying for the whole course. And they are talking about letting people have access to the online version for a brief period if they have already taken the course. We'll have to wait and see if they can actually do that. ;)

Jeremy, Valeria thanks for advising.
Regarding the blog I am counting pear-guide's scholars

Akoya

I'm looking forward to that. I can probably do most of it by distance and time my trips to take the lab course in HK if they offer it internationally.

Is it worth taking the GIA pearl course (once updated) "just for fun" if I would like to learn more of pearls?

pearlescence! Would the proper academically accredited university based course you were writing about be a classroom training or would it be "distance learning"?

No thoughts on how to set up the course as yet - yours is the only expression of any interest and besides the rough syllabus I would have to take a reasonable estimate of viable numbers to any university since full accreditation for any course is a real academic jump through hoops.

No thoughts on how to set up the course as yet - yours is the only expression of any interest and besides the rough syllabus I would have to take a reasonable estimate of viable numbers to any university since full accreditation for any course is a real academic jump through hoops.

If such course would be a distance learning I would for sure be interested!

Back