? Tahitian pearls from China - what do we know?

mrsadm

So I found an online listing for a fantastic looking Tahitian pearl necklace and the description stated:

"Origin: Black Tahitian Pearl Processed Jewelry in China"

I have always avoided buying non-freshwater pearls from China, because it didn't make sense to me that pearls produced elsewhere would have any reason to go through that country on the way to Europe or North America. (This retailer also offers Hanadama Akoya pearls.)

I'd really appreciate info from all the experts here on if this sounds OK, legitimate, or unusual or unknown. Please message me if you'd like the name of the retailer.

Thanks much!
Linda

Likely fwp.
Remember that you may not get the item in the photo.

If you'd care to send me the link I'll have a look. :)

I think you need to be careful about unknown sellers, but a number of us have bought Tahitians, South Sea, and akoya pearls from Wen and Kongs, and they’re located in China.

It makes perfect sense, actually. None of us would say "I don't buy pearls from Wendy or Cees because why would pearls go to Europe?"

You have people with pearl knowledge who already frequent the pearl shows and have contacts in the industry. They have the equipment to process pearls. So they expand their market from freshwater to saltwater, reaching a new segment and new customers.

There are honest pearl vendors and scammers in all parts of the world. I have been scammed by Americans, Europeans and Chinese. I have fantastic American, European and Chinese vendors. Use caution and common sense always, regardless of where the vendor is located.

Good points...I guess I was thinking of eBay sellers specifically, so many of which are scammers.

Use common sense. If the price looks way too good, the item in the photo is probably not what you will be getting.

Also, check the return policy, and ask yourself if you are willing to return the item to China with tracking if what you get doesn't match what is advertised.

Update: I checked out the listing. New seller, not eBay, tons of high priced items, has made only 8 sales so far with 3 feedbacks. Everyone needs to start somewhere, but for a new seller she has a large inventory. She does appear to be selling actual Tahitians, SSP etc.

The seller recycles her photos. Unique looking items on her Sold page are also in current listings. Click on any of her Sold items photos and you are taken to a current listing. Many listings have a drop down menu which enables you to buy more than one of the item. Photos of such listings show multiple similar items. This tells you the photos are only representative of the item you will get-- you will not get the exact item in the photo. However, there are also some very high end items of which there is only 1.

On the plus side, the seller is supposedly located in NY and accepts returns.

If one buys from a seller who uses representative photos, it is a good idea to ask for photos of several examples of the item, and choose the one you like best.

Last edited:
Back