Mystery Pearls from eBay - What did I purchase?

I'd hazard that they are very over-dyed freshwaters. Or someone has dyed Tahitians. They have that dead and flat look, at least in the photos. I had some like that years ago...quite big pearls too. I think I just binned them, they were so bad.

Thanks, Jersey Pearl! I'll try to head over there this week.

PearlScience, the pictures don't do the pearls justice, unfortunately. I promise that they look much better in person! :)

Aalyse, just an idea or 2 but here goes: The Tiger clasp is stunning. It would not be the first time a piece like that had pearls sold and replaced with different pearls, so that could be the case? Also, IF we make an assumption that the piece is in the original box, Winstons might have a record of the purchase; have you tried contacting them with the story to see if they can shed any light on the story? Just thinking out loud for what it's worth ... :)

Aalyse, just an idea or 2 but here goes: The Tiger clasp is stunning. It would not be the first time a piece like that had pearls sold and replaced with different pearls, so that could be the case? Also, IF we make an assumption that the piece is in the original box, Winstons might have a record of the purchase; have you tried contacting them with the story to see if they can shed any light on the story? Just thinking out loud for what it's worth ... :)

Great idea to contact Winstons and to visit the jewelers. The problem is that appraisers may not see a lot of pearls, other than white akoya pearls and a strand such as this is confusing. Pawn shops see a lot of pearls, but not necessarily good ones.

They are big enough that they could be beaded inside no matter what type, so getting an X-ray probably wouldn't confirm anything. :)

Ok, a couple of updates:

1) I did call Harry Winston but since I did not acquire the pearls directly through them, they would not authenticate or help me
2) I did not make it to Tiny Jewel Box but I did make it to Mayors in Atlanta over the weekend - the sales associate said that they have an appraiser come in every two weeks so I now have an appt on 8/25 to get to the bottom of this. We will see what they say...

UPDATE:

I went to see the appraiser today and here is what he listed on the appraisal:

One 20" strand of twenty-nine (29) 12mm to 15.6mm graduated cultured pearls of brownish gray body color with light rose/green overtones. These off round to semi-baroque shaped cultured pearls are of medium luster, good nacre thickness, and moderate spotting. They are individually knotted and terminate at a "14kt" stamped yellow gold double jungle cat head motif clasp with a tension bar assembly. A total of 4 round medium dark ruby "eyes" weighing approximately 0.16cts total (lightly included) are head prong set. (76.1 DWT)

He then appraised them at $6500.

I asked him approximate age, and he stated that he felt they were from the late eighties to early nineties.

Any thoughts on what he said? Does that seem like an accurate appraisal amount based on the description? The pictures that I posted previously just do not do this necklace any justice. I will see if I can take some better ones to post.

Last edited:
Well, he doesn't say what sort of pearls... or what metal the clasp actually is.
He hasn't actually appraised, just described.

A good appraiser normally tests the gold karatage. The appraiser isn't going to say what type of pearl unless they are sure. That is not unusual if they don't have enough knowledge. Otherwise they would be liable. If you didn't ask for a market price appraisal, it would be an insurance appraisal and that is not what it would be expected to sell for.

Unfortunately, not many appraisers have extensive experience with pearls. The necklace must be lovely in person. Your new photo is not working, unfortunately. :)

2014-08-25 13.20.02 (2).jpg

Thank you, GemGeek & Pearlesence! I am going to try the attachment again.

Also, I would like your professional opinion - I would like to invest in a strand of Sea of Cortez pearls (I purchased a pendant and am just in LOVE with my pearl - it is truly special). Would you purchase a near round strand or a baroque strand that costs far less? Another option is waiting a bit, put money aside, and having one custom made. I am having a hard time justifying the purchase & price and wanted to get your opinion, especially from those who have seen a strand in person (I never have but have seen the photos on this forum and the beauty is mesmerizing).

Anyway, thank you again!

2014-08-20 17.29.47 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Just a general musing - Sea of Cortez, I think, is going to cost you enough even as baroque that you really want to decide on what your heart is set on. Otherwise it will be a waste of money and probably not an insubstancial amount either.

- Karin

Ahh, that photo does more justice to your lovely mystery necklace! Here is a pearl in my possession from the Cook Is that has the very dark body similar to your strand. It is almost 11mm.

il_570xN_547526426_f8so   black pearl.jpg

As far as Sea of Cortez pearls go, I highly recommend them and cherish mine. Your pendant is gorgeous! Round and near round strands are scarce, and you might have to go on a waiting list, as some years there might only be enough pearls for one strand. Baroques are still rare, but more accessible.

That pendant is to-die-for, and I love rose gold! :) Enjoy!

And the necklace photo is much better. I can see now what you mean. It does look very substantial and the clasp looks great in the photo, too.

Thank you! Some more pictures of both necklaces. The pictures of the strand on my neck is fuzzy. I'm traveling right now and don't have it with me but will upload better ones ASAP.

I also broke down and purchased a strand from Douglas. I'll be sure to post those pictures as soon as I get them!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 38
Back