Mystery Pearls from eBay - What did I purchase?

The appraiser would have noted if the pearls were dyed, in which case the value of the strand would be reduced. So not dyed! In the photos, we are unable to see the overtones he mentioned. The round pearl pic I posted is natural color cultured pearl and seems to be a similar dark color as your strand.

Imo, given the appraisers estimated date, the pearls would have been produced in French Polynesia, and could be called Tahitian or Black South Seas pearls. The large size indicates they are probably from 2nd harvest. Since this dark shade is less common, to find enough pearls to match this strand could have taken some time.

I'm curious to see if others have come to this conclusion. It truly is a fascinating necklace!

I didn't agree with the diagnosis from the photos, but I can't tell if they are dyed from photos, so I concede that point, which leaves nothing but Tahitian-type pearls, and huge ones at that, even if not from Tahiti specifically. This means you got your money's worth.

Even if they are dyed and the appraiser didn't know it, they would be unucleated huge freshwaters which are pearls from an era that is leaving - as all the new freshwaters that size have nuclei. Even if they are fw, you almost got your money's worth.

edited to add: The jeweler's description of the color means that may be an early chocolate pearl strand. but if it is freshwater, that color can get to looking like rust outdoors in the sun. If they don't look rusty in bright sunlight, you have just what you think you have.

Some Tahitians do present as freshwaters unless looked at carefully. I think Pattye has looked at everything carefully and is right. Even the insurance appraisal seems correct. which means you probably paid exactly what they are worth on the open market today.

I went from unbeliever to believer in one over-edited post!

BTW, they look fantastic when worn.

Last edited:
Tahitians, but that color is unusual, which still makes me think dyed. But they are really beautiful in the natural light shot. They look like a million bucks in the neck shot and really, isn't that all that matters? :)

Did you get the strand from the Ruckus? If so, that was an incredible strand. Personally, my all-time favorite. You need to see it in a lot of different lights to appreciate what little changelings they are! :)

Pattye, Caitlin, & GemGeek, thank you sooo much! The pearls in VERY strong light (both natural & lamp) do appear to be chocolate. The appraiser said he was 110% positive that they are nucleated. I just wish one of you could look at them in person. I would love to know the history, but regardless of type of pearl, it really looks dynamite on the neck. I just love these pearls!

GemGeek, yes, I did purchase the strand from the Ruckus! It was a little bit of a stretch for me, but I really wanted something special and could not stop thinking about it, even though I've only seen it in photos! I can't wait to get it. I will be sure to post photos as soon as I get them in!

Douglas sent me over the certificate via email - it sounds very special. The certificate states the following:

These pearls range in quality from “A” grade to “Gem+ grades”, many pearls also belonging to the fabled “NS” subgroup of pearls: pearls with exceptional chroma. Pearls used for this necklace were obtained from the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 pearls harvest.

What is "NS"? I have not heard of this kind of description for pearls before. Thank you all again for your professional opinions!

It is not unusual for there to be only one or two round pearl necklaces a year. That is how rare these pearls are. This particular necklace stole my heart. I'm so happy that you will have it to enjoy for the rest of your life. NS a designation for gem-quality pearls with special color, as far as I remember. :)

The Cortez Pearl necklace just arrived today, and I am in love! (BTW, never use DHL if you can avoid it).

GemGeek, you were right! They are little changelings! I think they are more vibrant when viewing them from the side than from the front.

Pattye, I have been trying to wake them up! Hopefully they will become even more colorful as I wear them more.

I've attached a few photos:
photo 3 (15).jpgphoto 4 (3).jpg

Oh, they are so lovely on you! Perfect with that top and with your skin tone. Wear this very special strand in good health and enjoy for a lifetime!!!

Thank you so much, BAS! I will enjoy these for the rest of my life. They are really unique.

Here's another photo taken in diffused artificial light...
photo (10).jpg

These are stunning pearls! Love the colours.

Absolutely love this strand! I would have loved to waltz away in it from the Ruckus.
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy it!

Elizabeth

Your new Sea of Cortez strand is exactly where it was meant to be. It is one very, very special strand. I saw this strand at the ruckus and drooled. Enjoy your new treasure. I am glad it went to a PGer :)

Absolutely stunning and just made for you.
Enjoy!

I saw that beautiful strand at the ruckus as well. The evening it was under the light box we all stared and stared. I knew it wasn't for me, but I wanted to imprint its beauty into my mind forever.

I'm so very glad it has found a happy home. It looks amazing on you. :)

Back