South Sea Ripples

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
Here's a photo of an unusual strand of south sea pearls I came across in HK last month. I wish I could have got more than just this one but there was nothing remotely like it in the whole of the wholesaler's stock.
Introducing ....(ta-da) ..south sea ripples
n south sea ripples 4089.JPGn south sea ripples 4089.JPG

Well that's extraordinary ... please tell us more details :) I'm not well versed in South Sea ... are these bead nucleaded (assume so?), what makes them "ripple" as opposed to baroque etc. ... ?

Golden baroque's are beautiful, but some wholesalers enhance golden pearls. I know a number of them, where I would not buy South Sea pearls from.

I have a pair of light golden SS strands selected by newberry for me from Pearl Paradise in March 2013 that are described as "freeform baroque". They have a similar vibe to your "ripples" with wonderful organic shapes. I'm also wondering about how you would characterize a pearl as a ripple as opposed to other baroque pearl forms?

Very pretty pearls, BTW.

Wendy, here are south sea baroques I found early this year. They're not dyed, but the body color is platinum, rather than grey or blue. Are they like your ripples?

IMG_1786.jpg

Here are the same pearls sandwiched between metallic fireballs and natural colored akoyas.

IMG_2394.jpg

Hi Cyndayco. Yes, there are one or two with the rippled, folded, pleated surface which is characteristic of ripple pearls (which already can have that satin as opposed to shiny metallic lustre). Most are what I would call straightforward baroque drops. Nice pearls to be sure

Wendy - Here are my freeform golden baroques that were selected for me by newberry last year on a visit to Pearl Paradise. I'm thinking that quite a number of them have "ripple" surfaces. Just wondering? :confused:Goldens_4896.jpg

Red, those are beautiful! Newberry is a wizard at choosing pearls :)

Red -- every time I see pictures of these I love them more! How about giving us some neck shots as a treat.

Hi Red, nice pearls but I would describe them as baroques and drops from the photo. They haven't really got a ripple surface. One or two have folds, there are rings. but not ripples, like the freshwater ripples or my one off strand. Rippling is more surface than shape.

Back