Silk cord

ericw

Hi every beaders!
I am looking for 2mm diam. natural silk cord, the kind of "chinese" cord ( woven silk, I think) we call in frensh "queue de rat". This cord is very flexible, smooth and glows as silk, but I don't find it anywhere, just nylon or rayon. It's incredible!
Will you, please, help me...
Ericw

Thank you Pareltje! But so sorry, I have also tried to find this kind of cord on this site: they have no rattail natural silk cord, only shibori, or cords for beaders (I look for 2mm diameter)... I have read 100 pages on Aliexpress, I don't know how many on Etsy, and other sites: rattails, yes, but never natural silk... I had told you that it was incredible!:confused:

I have never seen rattail cords made of real silk, eric. They're usually made of synthetic fabric.

I have found silk rattail still about twenty years later, but I think that there were europeen silk manufacturers which made them, but they are all closed, now. Even I remember to have visited myself a factory, and seen old silk braiding machines still working (it was a fascinating spectacle, all these yarn carriers dancing like Whirling Dervishes, but at top speed)
Katbran, If I find some, I'll tell you that:)
Edit: I have found an Autralia's local correspondent of a frensh factory, '"Au vers à soie", which still make true silk braids (but rough, not rattail) and yarns:
RISTAL THREADS
4 HERCULES STREET - MURRUMBATEMAN NSW 2582 - AUSTRALIA
Tel: 612 6226 8200 - Fax: 612 6226 8300
Email : info@ristalthreads.com
Web site : http://www.ristalthreads.com
Cheryl ARMSTRONG

Last edited:
Thank you, Pearl Dreams, to look for solutions with us. Unfortunatly, these cords, shown on your link, are a kind of shibori cord, made with tissue, and not thin braided as rattails. A lot of people like it, but I don't, and I find that it's too much "fancy" to mount my pearls... Because I think I must, people seeming not enough volonteer to buy them unmounted. Thus I am looking for settings, but creative, contemporary, according to my artwork.

I find that leather is too much fragile, breaks unexpectedly, and in France, we have a strong move, we call "vegan", which philosophy is to prohibit use of any animals productions, as meat, leather, even wool... It's more than a little crazy, at this level, but it's fashion.........:(:confused:
Normaly, they forbid silk and pearls, also, but leather is the right to receive stones in the face. I am studying cotton waxed cord, politically correct and not ugly, but maybe not the taste of other countries. It so complicated, when people don't move out of any instant's standards!

Eric, are vegans in France also against pearls? They are clearly an animal product.

Thank you Pella, so glad to read your compliment! I know the link you have the kindness to give us: these cords are really made with natural silk, and, as any you'll find, are produced by only a frensh factory: "le ver à soie" ( just this morning, I have given to Katbran the name of their australian retailer that you can find above on this thread). But their braiding is too much rough and cords don't look like shining silk, as rattails I have known, so sweet and with this special lustre of the nice silk.

Eric, are vegans in France also against pearls? They are clearly an animal product.

Yes, Vegans are against pearls, of course, look: even against milk! against everything meaning the death or any animal suffering (most of them are living in towns, they never asked to a cow what's happening when it is not milked). I have told you that it was crazy, and it is!! But it's fashion, and most of feminin media, for exemple, dare to talk about anythings out of this way. I wouldn't be surprised that all the Europeen young hip and wealthy generation falls down this mud. The last age of the New Age.

Last edited:
Ericw, here is something you might look at listed below. It's only 1mm, but is real silk in about 12 colors, and you might make a plied, twisted cord of 2 strands to get a cord of approximately 2mm +/-? Needleworkers make plied twisted cords all the time for knitting, crochet etc.

Fire Mountain Gems Purely Silk (trademark name), 3 ply 1mm twisted silk cord. It might be too costly though, once you double it ...

www.firemountaingems.com

Just put in their search bar "1mm Silk Cord" and this Purely Silk cord should come up. Not sure about international shipping though ... ?

So kind of you, Cathy. I must tell you that i have also visited this site ( I have searched in all the web). I know this solution which give "chinese knot" necklaces, I also know how to do, because I have made several: it's the same manner to do our back line, in fly fishing.
At present time, I have not stopped to consider this solution, if I don't find better. but this kind of twisted cord is also rough on skin, and sensible to abrasion. Sometimes, twisting can be unstable, especially when you pull it.

Silk involves the deno respect for than, as tath of the silk worm so vegans would not consider it.

Yes Pearlescence, as I have yet written, vegans hat also silk, but like in any nonsense's mass, you find more or less devotees, also more or less people knowing what is the silk. Anyway, I have no respect for them, as they haven't for anybody who doesn't think like them.

Vegans can't wear pearls as they are a byproduct of an animal. They would be against everything to do with pearls. Just as they are against Honey, eggs , milk, etc etc Silk, wool , zoos, circuses, rodeos etc etc Anything involved in exploiting animals.

I have a son and his partner who are Vegan... christmas is coming...I just got the list of ingredients and company names so I supply all the correct ingredients . sigh But, small price to pay to have everyone here for Christmas !! ( and they don't care what we eat so no lectures regarding our evil ways)

That sounds like a challenge, Katbran, but a loving one you are undertaking :) Being together is the most important thing!

Ericw, another idea might be to simply use 2 strands of the 1mm silk cord without twisting ... I have a short oxidized silver "chain" that is actually 2 thinner chains, and it looks great run through the bail of an oxidized silver and pearl piece I have. The 2 strands stay together through the bail, and when worn, separate slightly on either side going up around the neck, and it's a rather nice look.

Back