Gudebrod - Silk Thread

Chiming in here... I ordered "Gudebrod Silk" on spools from Fire Mt. last week. They sent Griffin as a "substitute". (same stuff that comes on the nasty little cards /wire needle) It is not the same. Griffin has a courser 2 ply twist which feels bumpy. The Gudebrod is a much finer 3 ply which feels smooth. I think that it also produces a smoother knot with much less chance of getting a kink in the knot which might come loose later leaving a nasty little gap. Certainly hope that the home town USA company can get local backing and back into business because they are good hard working folk and they make many superior products. (just my 2 cents opinion)
Marianne

substitutes

substitutes

Hi Marianne, Yes Fire Mountain sent me the Griffin on spools for substitute from a several month old back order, the Griffin does not come in the colors that Gudebrod does and they sent me light pink for Ecru, go figure, not anywhere near the same. I also tried to order from Jemco and they sent me substitutes without asking me first. I also checked at Joann's Craft store for other silk thread and they didn't have not a one. I am wondering if we need to contact sources in Japan? do they use silk? It is just hard to believe that the sources are so limited with all the pearls that get strung. I try my best to source state side, but there are just somethings that are just not competitive enough.
Darla

It is beginning to sound like Silk Thread sales are down, anyway. Try a silk substitute, you may actually like it. The Australian thread Kay-Bee comes in many colors (Thanks, Bernadette). So do the nylon Griffin threads which are readily available in the US. Sarah of Kojima uses a Japanese synthetic thread. You'd need a microscope to tell the difference between silk and nylon when it is knotted. Also the synthetic threads do not rot, can take being washed regularly without stretching, and do not absorb dna and dirt near as much as silk.

My favorite is the fishing line Power-pro which is usable in only white and moss green- the yellow and the red come off when wet.( someone here found out the hard way) It is rough on the hands too, but it is the strongest of all threads for its weight. This thread will made a long lasting strand you wear a lot or a really good 100 incher or other heavy strands.

Hi Darla,

"I did try the Pearl Silk which is polyester(not labeled had to call) from Rio Grande and I did not like the way it worked, really wanted to twist and bunch up when pulling through the Freshwaters."

I think the Rio Grande thread is 100% silk. That's what it says in their catalog. Please check.

It is beginning to sound like Silk Thread sales are down, anyway. Try a silk substitute, you may actually like it. The Australian thread Kay-Bee comes in many colors (Thanks, Bernadette). So do the nylon Griffin threads which are readily available in the US. Sarah of Kojima uses a Japanese synthetic thread. You'd need a microscope to tell the difference between silk and nylon when it is knotted.

Hi Catlin,

Where could I obtain the 'Australian thread Kay-Bee' here in the US. Who is 'Sarah of Kojima' and which is the brand of the Japanese synthetic thread and let us please know where is it is available.

Thanks,

Esther

Hello Esther, I checked my emails from them and found it. Their product did not state on it what it was so I emailed them. The technical department emailed me back and said it is polyester fibers. They have gotten a trademark on the name to call it PearlSilk. Contains no silk.
I know that several of the members here have mentioned using other products, but in all the reading I have done and pearl dealers I have asked say that silk is the only way to go. Other products either damage the pearls over time or they form static and hold dust and dirt which causes problems. Yes, you would think with the technology and products we have today that there would be something that would be perfect for stringing pearls and other precious beads. Why do all the Big Boys advertise their pearls as strung on silk and make a point of it.
Darla

Other products either damage the pearls over time or they form static and hold dust and dirt which causes problems. Yes, you would think with the technology and products we have today that there would be something that would be perfect for stringing pearls and other precious beads. Why do all the Big Boys advertise their pearls as strung on silk and make a point of it.
Darla
Can you elaborate, please? What do you mean by other products form static? Which product would that be and how strong is the static? I've worn strands knotted with silk and PowerPro but I do not notice any type of static.

Doesn't silk hold dust and dirt too, which is the reason for the dirty thread and gunk between the pearls?

I also tried to order from Jemco and they sent me substitutes without asking me first.
Darla

That is too bad they did not check with you prior to shipping substitutes. :( Did anyone check with Bellafindings? They always call me if a product I order is out of stock (findings) and ask if I would like to pick something else, prior to shipping my package. Francis is a great guy who almost always make those calls (sometimes another lady makes the call) or handles exchanges and returns phone calls.

I was at Jemcousa brick and mortar store over the weekend. I saw black spools of various sizes and other colors. I did not make note of which other colors and sizes were available though.

Last edited:
Hi Hanaleimom, I have researched and read so many places, a lot of it here on Pearl-Guide, and have talked to several people. I don't have years of experience like some on here. I don't think the static they are mentioning would be something that you would notice. I have not seen the stretch and memory problems that some mention. Yes I have dealt with Bellafindings and they were great, they did hold the order and wait for me to decide if I wanted to cancel or try something else. I have not tried nylon, or I remember Jeremy mentioning a nylon/silk blend, but I haven't seen any. Actually, I guess the customer would not be able to tell what product is used, but I want to use what is accepted in the industry and be totally honest about what my products contain, at least as much as I can be. I wonder about nylon. I have been around it for years in the livestock industry, it gets used for everything, lead ropes, halters,etc. It does fade, gets brittle, frays, and is never the same once it is washed, it is actually hard to clean and polyester is even worse. I remember reading about someone using embroidery type thread and dividing it out, but that would be very difficult for long strands and to get the desired thickness.
Darla

:( Did anyone check with Bellafindings? They always call me if a product I order is out of stock (findings) and ask if I would like to pick something else, prior to shipping my package. Francis is a great guy who almost always make those calls or handles exchanges and return phone calls.

Hi,

I'm a big fan of Bella Findings as well. They don't have any white ones ('D' or 'E') allready for a couple month.

Hi Catlin,

Where could I obtain the 'Australian thread Kay-Bee' here in the US. Who is 'Sarah of Kojima' and which is the brand of the Japanese synthetic thread and let us please know where is it is available.

Thanks,

Esther

Hi Esther
Actually we have several threads in which all these arguments have been made. Of course people use silk, but the number is dwindling because it has no advantage over a lot of synthetic thread. Silk is not a fair trade industry; it is made by young girls in India. There are articles about that in other threads.

You would have to send to Australia for the Kay-Bee thread. Bernadette was my source. She is in Australia and is a professional knotter. Even knotted for Paspaley, yet she chooses the synthetic. I'll have to let the Australian beaders make the suggestions for where to get it. I did find it years ago through Google.

Sarah is a member here with posts about this topic.. She is very Japanese influenced, and does the Japanese style of knotting and Japanese synthetic thread. She has shared about her thread and maybe even gotten some, for someone here, before.

I don't have the info at my fingertips at the moment, but but power pro is made of Spectra that it is woven into a thin tube. It is immensely strong for the diameter. It will hold a good knot and does not tangle much. It is pre-waxed. The nylon polyester thread family is really hi-tech. Each brand is slightly different. Silk stretches, breaks and rots under certain conditions. Truly the synthetics do not soak up much dirt and water, but silk thread is very absorbent and embraces them.

I just noticed Gudebrod is offering synthetic thread.....

Last edited:
Oh, man, it didn't occur to me that Fire Mt would send a substitute without asking, so I never opened my package - until I read these posts, and started to wonder.

Great. Now I have to mail the Griffin back. Another unwelcome expense...

I'm going to go ahead and finally try the power pro. Thanks, Caitlin.

Last edited:
I like Griffin on the cards. Of course, someday I'll get around to trying others and probably change my mind... ;)

Hi Esther
I'll have to let the Australian beaders make the suggestions for where to get it.........

Hi Catlin,

Your efforts are appriciated. Can't wait to hear back from you on this.

Esther

I'm going to go ahead and finally try the power pro. Thanks, Caitlin.

Lisa,

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/lowly-beaders-club/2572-my-experience-power-pro.html. See post # 32.

Gandermountain.com is having a PowerPro sale. This is web price only per website. I have not checked brick and mortar store to see whether it has same pricing. They only carry red and moss green. As you have been told by Caitlin, red and yellow bleed. Buy white and green only.

Moss green 150 yard spool is $11.99 and 300 yard spool is $22.99. They ship to your local store for free. Home delivery's standard shipping is free also (no minimum requirement). This is much better than Cabela's pricing (and you have to pay shipping or must order a lot) and my local Sport Authority pricing.

$5 off every $50 if you use GMTN5 promotional code, expires 9-30-10.

Power Pro

Power Pro

In doing some checking it is very hard to find Power Pro in white, it is also quiet a bit more expensive than silk. I checked and it is made from polyethylene and is kind of like kevlar, they brag about its cut resistance and even use it in protective wear. I have a spool of it, moss green 20 lb test, I have not used it yet for pearls. My problem is the sharp feel of it. If you take two strands and knot it and pull it tight and then run your fingers over it, it feels very sharp and rough. I would think this would be worse than a bead spacer on the pearl. Also checked a few of the large retail sights and one even mentions only using pure silk to string pearls under their care guide.

Darla

That is a good deal. I see VintageSuzanne LINK at eBay has smaller rolls for $5.75 I have bought from he many times. Power pro comes in the 6 lb test which is quite small, 10 lb. 20 lb. 30 lb. 30 lb is good for beads with big holes. 20lb is good for most uses. It compresses so I rarely have to ream or find a bigger holed bead to start and end. 6 and 10lb is good for tiny holes. The moss green is fine for darker pearls. It is kind of neutral and doesn't stand out.

Suzanne also has 11 minutes to go on some gudebrod white silk

Scrolling down, I see she has several colors of the gudebrod. $11.98

Here is gudebrod nylon thread (LINK) at Cabelas's.

Gudebrod premium nylon thread has consistent high quality and uniformity to assure beautiful, even and secure wraps. This is the same thread used extensively by leading rod manufacturers - and top custom rod-builders - so you know it'll perform as promised on your own masterpieces. A must for every serious rod-builder's bench. Sizes to match nearly every application and need. Plus, there's a great color selection that allows you to match or complement almost any color scheme to create your own, personal distinctive look.
Size: A, 950 yards.
Colors: (068)Garnet, (007)White, (003) Black, (218)Royal Blue, (251)Goldenrod, (389)Gold Metal, (221)Candy Apple Red, (220)Scarlet, (390)Fenwick Brown, (048)Gray, (012)Purple, (396)Dark Brown, (140)Light Green and (143) Dark Green.

I hope they are color fast!

Nylon

Nylon

Only the Gudebrod NCP is color fast. Here is the website http://www.gudebrod.com/Fishing2005/Nylon.htm I don't understand with all the pearls and beads strung that there is such a problem finding stringing material. I will have to dig into my GIA course material and see what's mentioned, I don't think they really discussed much of the beading part of pearls. I know the grading course didn't.
Darla

In doing some checking it is very hard to find Power Pro in white, it is also quiet a bit more expensive than silk. I checked and it is made from polyethylene and is kind of like kevlar, they brag about its cut resistance and even use it in protective wear. I have a spool of it, moss green 20 lb test, I have not used it yet for pearls. My problem is the sharp feel of it. If you take two strands and knot it and pull it tight and then run your fingers over it, it feels very sharp and rough. I would think this would be worse than a bead spacer on the pearl. Also checked a few of the large retail sights and one even mentions only using pure silk to string pearls under their care guide.

Darla

I will try to summarize some of the threads already up on silk vs synthetics so this will be a long post.

There are already several threads about this Try this one. 2-3 years ago we had a little challenge on silk compared to power-pro. I made a bracelet of pearlluner pearls and power- pro and wore it 24/7 including showers, dishes, sweat, for over a year. It came through really wonderfully. It did not wear the pearls at all. The silk challenger gave up the experiment and faded away. So far, no one has reported any wearing of the pearls from it. I haven't seen it in mine at all.

To take it apart is hard. Very few to no scissors can cut it, but thread clippers do a great job. When they wear out, they could be sharpened, but they are so inexpensive that I buy 4-5 at a time.
There are some caveats to Powerpro, the lack of colors, the roughness, difficulty of cutting it. There are some pros. It is the strongest thread available, it is prewaxed. The knots slip into place easily and stay in place once tightened. They are easy to move longer distances. I moved a knot over a foot to get it seated once and had no problems. Try that with silk with no tool to keep it from clenching. It is much harder to make a ruinous tangle and most tangles come out easily. I can't tell you how many times I had to start over because silk has tangled on me. I know how to handle silk and always prewax it.

I have used PP exclusively since I found it. I have work-hardened hands and the roughness doesn't bother me at all. There is no better thread for a heavy piece. I made a 30" necklace of 16mm cfwp's and it stretched in 5 minutes of wearing. That sent me on a search for a thread that would not stretch resulting in me finding Suzanne Hye on eBay. (Suzanne learned to knot directly from Harriet- harriet is the one with the classic how to knot book.)Suzanne is also the one with 54 spools of gudebrod silk for sale right now. I just gave her link above.

I have no objections to the silk thread lovers. It was only when silk was not easy to find I suggested synthetic threads. All my statements in this thread are made after using PP for years with no problems. One of my criteria is "hard to break", which silk is not. another is "no stretching, which silk is. Another is to be fully washable without stretching. Another is "no rotting" It is simply the best for a heavy necklace or an endless necklace. The knots stay put. I had one incident where a pearl with a sharp edge cut the thread. I reamed it a little and believe it has held up since.

I like griffin nylon for its colors and it does hold up longer than silk. I want to try gudebrod synthetic. I am sure is is a fine product. Beadalon dandyline is also made from a spectra type product. It comes in white and charcoal gray. It is easy on the hands, very silky feel. I started a thread some time ago which covered a lot of threads, including linen, hemp and a few others. I have been trying threads of every kind since I fisrt started beading more than four decades ago. I have used monofiliment thread, sinew, you name it- I am always willing to try a new thread. PP turned out to be fantastic for peyote stitch- you sure don't want that thread to break! I also used to do bead embroidery on leather. If I ever do it again, I will use PP. It simply meets my needs, except for color.

PS, I am moving this thread to the Lowly Beaders club which covers all things thread.

Back