Tools and Supplies for Beading and Knotting

Caitlin

My favorite tools for stringing and knotting beads, including pearls, are.
  • Big eye needles. there are three types of these:
  • The twisted wire needle has a large round hole that collapses when it goes through a bead and does not pop back.
  • Another kind of big eye a slit in the needle opens to allow threading and closes for passing through bead holes. I think Beadalon sells this.
  • I have another type of big eye that opens almost the length of the needle for threading but closes into a thin needle. I forget where this type came from.
  • Some people use regular beading needles with a small hole.
  • People also use glue ie Superglue or equivalent on the tip of the thread to stiffen it enough make a needle. (Traditional stiffener was gum Arabic)
  • Thread. (Please refer to the Thread Thread for a growing number of posts about every thread possible)
  • Beeswax. Used for silk. linen and other threads. It cuts back on tangles and the slipperiness of certain threads.
  • Thread clippers. I use the ones that look like horseshoes. they usually cost less that $5 and when they get dull, they are easy to replace. (I should take one to a sharpener and see if it can be resharpened.)
  • small needle nose pliers. For clamping thread as needed, especially at holding gimp in place while pulling the thread/wire through..
  • crimp beads.
  • The tornado crimp beads are long and only need to be squeezed shut with your needle-nosed pliers.
  • Smaller crimp beads can help secure knots at the end of the strand and have premade bead covers that disguise the crimped bed.
  • Small crimp beads may require a little tool called crimping pliers. It is made to hold the crimp bead while you squash it into a collapsed C shape, then squeeze it again to a tight round shape
  • A Thread Zapper. This tool replaces the cigarette lighter for sealing many kinds of thread. It costs $20- something- and the new tips are around 2 for $12.
  • Goggles or other magnifying device if you need one to be able to see in detail. I got a decent one for less than $40. It is a great boon to as I can no longer see details without considerable magnification.
  • Gimp. Gimp is more of a supply than a tool, It a springy tightly coiled wire used to cover the part where the thread/wire goes around the clasp. We have several separate discussions for gimp too.
  • Good wire cutters- especially if you use wire to string.
  • A bead reamer or a Dremel. This is a good tool to have if you want to smooth off cutting edges on gem stones and also for enlarging the holes on end pearls to take a thread doubling back on itself. Hand held bead reamers are lousy. they wear out and break. They cost from $3- for the worst one and more for better ones.Nevertheless that is what I used till I got a dremel with interchangeable drills and grinding bits. I got the brand name dremel in an inexpensive kit with several different size and bits. ($39.00 plus postage.)
Let's see--I need a break. What did I forget?

Last edited:
A bead board.

I need multiple bead boards!

For magnifiers, I love my "reader glasses" 3.25x.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Ah, yeah.... a bead board is Totally Essential,

A towel in a tray with edges will work in a pinch, but an actual molded beading board is an incredible tool.

I now buy mine with clear plastic lids on them. so I can have several unfinished projects going. At less than $5- they are a real bargain.

I remember you saying that you like those 3.25 reader glasses before. I bet thay can be procured with more ease and less cost than my goggles.......

Last edited:
And a glass of water, Caitlin, for use with the dremel....

Thank you ladies - now this is a very useful thread!

Hi Caitlyn,

How are the thread zappers?? I have been thinking about one. My eyes are not what they used to be, and I am tired of nipping my fingers....

I use thread heaven, ( not as clumpy but leaces a residue on teh fingers aswell as the stringing Mediu,. Also beeswax or an old candle if I do not have either beeswax or my thread heaven about. I also use size 10 needles they can do up to Size D threads (nymo) and silk with a little bit if work... the needlse I get are 25 for $1.15 CDN and they go through most pearl holes. adn teh needles are longish and wow end up in odd shapes..

I gave all my Big eye, and wire collapsable needles to my mom She loves them... and they seem to become harder to find near her..

I also use a light for beading.. usually 100 watt. Hmm.. That is all I can think of that I like to use that is different from what is already mentioned...

cheers

Ash

You might also consider getting a OTT-LITE. It shows colors as if they were in day light. I find that it reduces eye strain for both beading and reading. They have several models which include magnifiers too!

Different color Sharpie pens. You can color the Power pro and create your own custom thread! (Run the pen along the powerpro 2-3 times then wipe by running thread through paper towel several times. Let dry for a few hours and wax before knotting).

Caitlin -- where do you purchase bead boards with a plastic cover -- what a great idea. Can you recommend a place to purchase for the dremel? MST -- love the idea of using a Sharpie on Power Pro -- would never have thought about that.

Re: the Thread Zapper -- worth every penny. I use it on both Power Pro and silk. It works especially well on Power Pro because it essentially melts the end into the knot. Even though I use on silk, I still use glue on the knot as well. Kate

Hi Kate
I get them at a wholesale/retail store in Tucson known as Jay's Indian Arts. I bet they'd be online though-I got my dremel from Amazon and use the sandpaper drums to shorten my doggies' nails. I have not had a holder to drill pearls, and the dremel doesn't have the power to do more than ream. Most of that info is on threads about drilling

Ms T,
How does the Sharpie ink stay on the Powerpro? I thought it would be a good idea, but didn't have the patience to follow through.

I also discovered that Sharpies can be used to "etch" copper--just draw a design on copper, suspend in the etching solution, and afterwards wash in acetone to remove the sharpie marks--there it is in that the design stands out in relief. When taking a "cold connections" class I did not really believe it so I "doodled" some designs on some left over copper sheet and discovered it worked much better than I expected.

I just need to purchase some etching solution to attempt some more carefully drawn designs. I understand that similar processes (but different etching solutions) can be used with other metals as well. I recommend it to any of you artists who would like to experiment.

Beth
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13297310@N04/3604867468/

Attachments

• IMG_1098 cr.jpg
    IMG_1098 cr.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 56
Well, isn't that interesting. Cold connection classes are few and far between.

How cool is that! Thanks for the information. I learn so much here!

Caitlin,

I think proper dry time and wax helps seal the sharpie color into the powerpro. I also run the thread 5-6 times through a paper towel or cheesecloth to take off any extra color. Repeat color and wiping if you want deeper hue. I have never had a problem with color bleeding or fading. That being said, I have only been coloring the powerpro for about 3 months, so I do not have any long term experience.

I am going to try it. I love Sharpie purple. Finally get some black thread too!. I am going to color some thread, then abuse it for a while- I'll get back to this thread.

I am going to try it. I love Sharpie purple. Finally get some black thread too!. I am going to color some thread, then abuse it for a while- I'll get back to this thread.

Honey you love every color of purple.

Back