Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

Pearly-Whites! Pretty earrings and necklace but i love earrings more!

MSC, that's a wonderful look! Where are the gorgeous gold beads from? Are those the same ones you are using in the newer necklace you've been working on? Red coral, Paparomiso ? :) How I loved that place!

MSC, that's a wonderful look! Where are the gorgeous gold beads from? Are those the same ones you are using in the newer necklace you've been working on? Red coral, Paparomiso ? :) How I loved that place!

Thank you, Cathy! Good eye, they are the same beads. They came from India and were strung up as a necklace that broke and never got any wear. Parapamiso did have a lot of Indian jewelry like that. Love that place too! I think I got them from a vendor on ebay, something like tribaloldgold was the name? They are red wax covered in 24k gold; they are made in the same way kundan jewelry is made: by pressing pure gold leaf to build up the bead. The heat of the environment and the craftsperson's hands is enough to fuse the leafs layers into a solid whole. There's a great video out there about it. I'll try to find it. I took apart the necklace and have been reusing the beads in these two projects so they don't forever languish.
I picked the coral up at a shop on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, wish I could remember the name, but it was a beautiful shop with the most amazing coral specimens.

picked the coral up at a shop on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence
 picked the coral up at a shop on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence

Mom's 9 mm akoya choker and her SS drops on diamond loop earrings. I adore this combination. If I had to pare down to just one pearl look, this would be it.

9 mm akoya choker and her South Sea drops on diamond loop earrings

Classic look, and always beautiful, BWeaves. I was watching an old movie from the 50s, and this was the height of elegance. The clothing has come back into style as well. The actors would not look out of place today.

Much as I've always envied your hanadama rope, I love this look! The Akoyas are gorgeous and that earring combo is stunning. Your mom had style! (And how nice to have tangible ways to feel close to her).

So beautiful BWeaves but let's hope it doesn't come to that! I love your ropes too much!

When I first started wearing pearls in college, the choker with drop earrings was the look I adored. But you can't pry my ropes out of my hands, because they're not going anywhere. They'll be my favorite thing ever tomorrow.

Ahhh beautifully classic look, BWeaves!

Lunch time fun - a few of my unset pearls... conch, quahog, abalone, P. sterna, P. penguin, P. maculata, GSSP, SoC, and Mississippi River pearls.
unset pearls... conch, quahog, abalone, Pteria sterna, Pteria penguin, Pinctada maculata, golden South Sea, Sea of Cortez, and Mississippi River pearls

Last edited:
I adore that look, BWeaves! The 9mm choker and wss drops! Also, I wish I could figure out how to take such good earring/necklace selfies. One or the other is always out of focus in mine.

I want to frame that, MSC! All those beautiful colors and textures.

BN, Well, they're usually out of focus for me, too. I just keep taking photos until I get a good one.

PW, I love the Jackie Kennedy quote. I think I have something of Jackie Kennedy's that I'll post on my Ode à Ma Mère thread.

MSC, Oh, wow! That heart! All the pearls. Wow.

OK, someone bought those bright green drop earrings from Kamoka. Was it one of us? Fess up! We've all been lusting after them. It would be a shame if it wasn't one of us. Earshots!

Back