Shianxahu Town: Zhuji, Zhejiang

Moving on in search of suppliers from Hong Kong to the Pearl City in mainland China with the hopes of a long-term business relationship. Thanks to the internet and to pearl-guide.com, I was able to visit Zhuji.

TIPS:
> Honqqiao Railway Station - 2 hours from Shanghai to Zhuji by fast train. You also have the option to take the normal train at Shanghai South Station but it takes about 3.5 hours for the trip and I think much older trains but a lot cheaper. There are extremely long lines. Make sure to come 2 hours before the planned departure or you will miss your train!
> Stay at Hailiang Garden Hotel - It's about 10 minutes drive to the pearl market. There is nothing to do around there. The hotels near the pearl market are not so good according to the people we met in the market. It's a 3-star "western-friendly" hotel, front desk personnel have a hard time speaking or understanding English (note to self: learn Mandarin!). There is internet via LAN in your room (only to find out a day later), and on the 3rd floor is a massage/spa place with the cheapest price ever (also only to find out a day later). The restaurant has snakes, eel, fish, mushroom, etc. Point point and they'll cook it. Picky eaters beware.
> Contact a huge company (rather than an agent who works for commission) and they will provide company car/chauffeur and an English speaking representative to tour you around (unfortunately it rained, so no farm tour, just the factory). I think we just got lucky. It was unexpected but they treated us like a VIP who is doing million-dollar business with them for years when in fact we have just met them for the first time and only bought a couple of thousands of dollars worth of pearls.
> Buy from medium to large size firms. The small booths in the middle have low quality and they buy from this medium to large size firms to dispose off their uber low quality goods and they target the tourists that come by bus once in a while.
> Shianxahu is a ghost town in the middle of nowhere with tons of empty/spacious buildings with construction everywhere and you will notice the abundance of BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, Lexus, etc. cars everywhere!
> I saw the Edison Pearls in person. It is quite big in size and the colors are much deeper (without being dyed), Coming from it's name, I bet it's from the manipulation of light to achieve the effect. Uhmm price are crazy expensive... I'll pass!
> I was not so shocked but the process of polishing, lighting, heating, etc of the pearls gives it the extra "umph". But then again, tons and tons of pearls but only a small percentage goes to be strung to be sold in the market.

Anyway, it was a good experience. Hopefully next time I can open my own shell in a pearl farm. Something to look forward to on the next trip. On to product development!

Attachments

• One keshi earring wired by me.
    One keshi earring wired by me.
    60.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Lavender baroque freshwaters wired by me.  Eventually they became a 26" necklace and a bracelet.
    Lavender baroque freshwaters wired by me. Eventually they became a 26" necklace and a bracelet.
    21.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Pondslime pearls waiting to be used...
    Pondslime pearls waiting to be used...
    32.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Eyris Blue Pearl ring
    Eyris Blue Pearl ring
    21.5 KB · Views: 46
  • tahitian set assembled by me
    tahitian set assembled by me
    24.2 KB · Views: 45
  • First batch of exotics - knotted by me.  Earrings gift from by buddy Boo!
    First batch of exotics - knotted by me. Earrings gift from by buddy Boo!
    35.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Tiny SSP keshi pendant from Drusy Designs
    Tiny SSP keshi pendant from Drusy Designs
    32.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Sea of Cortez Ring from Drusy Designs
    Sea of Cortez Ring from Drusy Designs
    15.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Torsade made by me & sold
    Torsade made by me & sold
    33.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Torsade close-up
    Torsade close-up
    32.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Necklace made by me & sold.
    Necklace made by me & sold.
    22.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Necklace made by me & sold.
    Necklace made by me & sold.
    25.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Closeup
    Closeup
    26.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Closeup
    Closeup
    28.3 KB · Views: 45
Did I divulge too much of industry stuff? I hope not. The pearl newbie in me got so excited. Just got back yesterday from a week long trip in China and ecstatic to share some tidbits of info.

You can never divulge too much industry stuff on P-G.com- we love it and truly appreciate it when the pros share!

I love the pic of the big stacks of big bags of pearls ..... WOW.

That looks kind of like our bags of grain for the horses, only we get less than that.

Thanks for the glimpses!

Wow - what a trip !

and the SCALE of the production is eye-watering

thanks Grace, for posting the info and photos

Welcome to PG, Grace, and thank you for the info! This is the first time the name "Edison" makes some sense :)

- Karin

What a great post! Thanks for sharing, so cool!

Really appreciate the information you posted! I hope to visit the pearl city myself, hopefully sooner than later. Best wishes to your business, post pics later of what you've done with the pearls :)

You look so happy at the grading table! Reminds me of when I was on the Paspaley III and they poured a bucket of just-harvested South Sea pearls onto the conference table - I was grinning from ear to ear. It sounds like you had a very good experience. Good for you and thanks for sharing. :cool:

Back