Seeking advice: Golden Akoyas

bleong

Hello everyone

I have been a silent lurker of Pearl Guide for a while now and am familiar with a few of the pearl vendors that contribute here as well.

I have just come across some amazing golden Akoya strands and would love your advice if these are non-coloured enhanced pearls. I find the vendor trust worthy and have purchased from them before.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 37
What color appeals to you the most? Some shades look better on the skin than others, which can complicate the choice. Second from the top is amazing if it is not dyed. The bottom one is just yellow. I prefer a hint of brown to give that burnished look. Not sure that helps! Such a dillema! :)

What color appeals to you the most? Some shades look better on the skin than others, which can complicate the choice. Second from the top is amazing if it is not dyed. The bottom one is just yellow. I prefer a hint of brown to give that burnished look. Not sure that helps! Such a dillema! :)

Thanks, GemGeek. I think my poor photography skills may not have the strands justice. Irl, they all look v similar in colour, tone, luster. I have not seen such saturation before and the overtone is amazing. Just looking for some inputs from the experts here if they think these are likely natural before I pull the trigger on them ☺️

Thanks Pareltje. I have expert input that I should assume that Japanese golden Akoyas are enhanced/ dyed which is disappointing. ��

Be careful. Of all the gold Akoya strands I see in Hong Kong the dark ones are almost all dyed. Those also seem to be extraordinarily well matched. So they should be very expensive strands. That being so, you do say you find the vendor trust worthy.
These are not particular warnings or opinions, just general caveats

I'm curious, what size in mm are the pearls?
What length are the strands?
What price are they asking?

That tends to sway me about whether I think it's a good deal.

I'm drawn to the second strand from the top.

Thanks Pareltje. I have expert input that I should assume that Japanese golden Akoyas are enhanced/ dyed which is disappointing. ��

PP's Vietnamese golden akoyas are not dyed. But I think they're more yellow or champagne than bronze.

I have some natural golden Akoyas from PP, a strand and a bracelet. The necklace is a deeper tone, the bracelet a softer champagne color. I like the bracelet, but the necklace doesn't flatter my skin tone at all. I keep thinking it needs a new home. So, definitely consider your own skin tone.

Thanks everyone for the inputs.

BWeaves
The pearls are 7.5mm and the strands are 16" long. The price for these are USD1.8k/ strand.

I think I will most likely pass these up at this stage. I like to know what I am buying and am just not educated enough about golden Akoyas at the moment.

For that price, I would definitely pass...unless it's from one of the wonderful vendors here, like Pearl Paradise. If you like the look of a golden pearl, you should ask those vendors what they have in stock currently.
And I should also include that I don't have an objection to dyed pearls, as long as that is clearly stated before the transaction.

I have a double strand of tiny Vietnamese golden akoyas from Pearl Paradise. Not dyed; lemony golden with strong green overtones, and very beautiful. My other necklace is a triple strand of even tinier Vietnamese akoyas, ombre ranging from white/cream through light yellow and into a deep gold/hint of rose apricot color. Also natural, not dyed, and from a very trusted vendor. So there are natural golden akoyas, but care and caution is very good advice where color is concerned.

Cathy both your strands sound fabulous. Any chance for a pic?
I remember baby nurse had small goldens and they looked like tiny sun around her neck

Let me see what I can do, kalmen22. I'm so bad at selfies; but I should really do a photo of my little baby Vietnamese strands. I have a couple of glamour shots from vendors too. In the babies, I have deep blue, golden and am currently working on pistachios ... plus the ombre cream/gold ones. In slightly bigger sizes, 2 strands of multi-colors and 2 blue. The Vietnamese are mesmerizing, addictive and obviously hypnotizing to me LOL.

Cathy if you could I would love to see photos. I'm on PP wish list for the intense baby blues and bright golds. They were not available during the June fair. Erin is hoping for the next March fair. So I'm crossing my fingers. The wait is loooong.
And your ombre sounds amazing.

The problem with dyed gold pearls - either akoya, south sea or freshwater (and the ones pictured may even be freshwaters...) is that a single strand often looks pretty good but when you actually see a few together they have a sort of ear-wax yellow look to them. Somewhere in the P blog I did a photo from a wholesalers office with trays of natural colour and dyed together and that's when you can really see the difference.
Freshwaters are getting close - Grace had trays and trays and trays of gold dyed Edisons in September and they too had that ear-wax cast.
As I said, those strands look extraordinarily well matched for natural colour but I think you need to see a mass of the lot in person to catch that ear wax thing

I saw a vintage Akoya golden 3 strand piece on this forum that Bas got from Paul. That would be a dream ��

Back