What pearls are these?

Buffetm

Hello everyone. Just wondering if these are freshwater and if they might be keshis or baroques?

The necklace is vintage, purchased in Mexico. Sold as "perlas rio" or river pearls. The pearls seem genuine enough (gritty to the teeth) and are about 1cm by 1cm in size.

Sorry, I seem to have lost the receipt.

Any help would be appreciated :)

What pearls are these?What pearls are these?What pearls are these?What pearls are these?

Very interesting piece. This is a style you don't get to see often anymore. Any idea of the time it was purchased? Gives me 60s-70's vibes.
The pearls are elusive since I can't see them in person. If they are from that time period: these could even be natural pearls.
But I would really like to see them up close.

Looking at them again...second photo catches their orient quite well! They give me SSP keshi vibes too.
These are nice pearls.

Hi Douglas! Thanks for replying.

I am not sure which time period they are from. I don't remember the receipt stating the age of the necklace, only that they are "perlas rio". I'll have a good look for the receipt over the next few days.

I purchased these second-hand, some months ago from the Nacional Monte de Piedad. So I suppose it's possible they could be quite old.
Are there any simple tests I could do to ascertain the type of pearls?

I always assumed they were freshwater. :LOL: I was not aware Mexico produced natural or south sea pearls, only the beautiful Sea of Cortez pearls.

Last edited:
Mexico doesn't produce SSP, no; if they are SSP keshi, they would not be from Mexico.

If they are natural pearls from a river, they would be freshwaters (just not from China, where cultured freshwaters come from nowadays).

Mexico doesn't produce SSP, no; if they are SSP keshi, they would not be from Mexico.

If they are natural pearls from a river, they would be freshwaters (just not from China, where cultured freshwaters come from nowadays).
I agree...but being manufactured in Mexico does not mean the pearls would have to be from Mexico.
If 100% Mexican: these are likely natural, saltwater pearls from the Pacific Ocean, most likely from the Mexican Black Lip (Pinctada mazatlanica). There are some lovely pearl mussels in Mexico, but no pearl fisheries from these, nor records of old fisheries.

But pearls do travel, so they could be from any other country, but the setting could be Mexico. The Nacional Monte de Piedad gets all sorts of jewelry items, and some decades ago we even gave them a course to identify natural & cultured pearls, and different pearl varieties. We had a chance to see some very interesting items back then!

Sadly, I still can't find the receipt. I guess, the only way to know for sure is to send it to a gem lab.

I've read a bit about candling on the forum, maybe I'll try that first. Seems like fun! 🤣

Thank you everyone for the help!

Sadly, I still can't find the receipt. I guess, the only way to know for sure is to send it to a gem lab.

I've read a bit about candling on the forum, maybe I'll try that first. Seems like fun! 🤣

Thank you everyone for the help!
Candling is fun! :D
Enjoy and share your findings!

Back