Searching for Japan Kasumi baroque ripple strand

Oh Them Gems

Hi everyone, I'm happy to have found this site!

I bought a lovely set of akoya hanadama studs last year, from a major jewellery retailer (Birks),
and have worn them almost every day since. I've always wanted a strand, too, and until recently had thought I would match pearl type with my earrings. A local shop had a strand of baroque ripple kasumi-like pearls, and their unique, unlikely beauty has captivated me.

Perusing this site has convinced me I could do better on-line, but there does not seem to be many examples of Japan kasumi baroque pearl strands available from the reputable web merchants.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Monique

Hi...I'm probably reading this all wrong but are you looking for the original japanese kasumi pearls or the chinese kasumi-like ones?

More kasumi baroque ripples

More kasumi baroque ripples

Thank you all for your quick replies!

The links to pictures that Jeremy posted are what I'm looking for -- I like the shape of the pearls in the bracelet, the lustre of the "Holy Grail" necklace, and the colours and sizes of both. I'd like an 18" strand and intend to wear it daily, as I do my studs. The aim is to get maximum enjoyment from it myself, to justify the indulgence and then pass it on to my child. I've read in this forum that a few long-term daily wearers have "worn out" their akoya strands, which has dissuaded me from that option. I'm now under the impression that Tahitans and freshwater pearls have thicker nacre and therefore may be more durable. Part of the reason I'm after Japan kasumi pearls is I'd like the necklace to have value beyond my aesthetic preferences and the fact that "it was mom's". Trawling the net for information on the strand I'd tried on at the local jeweller's (I'd not seen the like before), I've found a great deal of prejudice against the Chinese "kasumi-like" pearls. Given what I'm hoping for from my future strand, do you think the prejudice is justified?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Monique

Hi.. We are considering two very different pearls here. Real Kasumi pearls come from a specific lake in Japan and are rare and expensive. The Holy grail strand and many others are Chinese Freshwaters (bead Nucleated) which can be expensive but not so expensive.
But they are two different sorts of pearls entirely
. It is just that hte multicoloured ripples look very like the Japanese Kasumi . (The smooth white bead nucleated ones can look very like white south sea pearls btw)
Sarah (Kojima) had both real Kasumi pearls and chinese ripples when I last looked. Most of us have the ripples.
Many call the chinese ones ripple pearls now, to avoid confusion

Hi Monique,

I think the prejudice you feel comes from when sellers are presenting their Chinese ripples as being Japanese kasumi. There is nothing wrong with the beauty of the pearls - all pearls. And nothing wrong with the beauty and aceesability of Chinese ripple pearls.

- Karin

Back