Which is the better buy: baroque SSPs or baroque akoyas?

cyndayco

My husband hasn't gotten me a birthday present yet. I already asked for this piece from Kojima, but I knew I was shooting for the moon. So based on his budget, I'm considering these two:

One is an 18in necklace, with 42 baroque akoya pearls. The vendor (on Etsy) claims they are 9-9.5mm madamas with the natural silver blue body color. The clasp is 14k.

icm_fullxfull.36819304_ew0x67osamg48cgwsgs4.jpgicm_fullxfull.36819306_mfuhqhya8fko4o44ooko.jpg

The other is an 18" necklace with 40 9-11.8mm baroque SSPs. I've examined the pearls in person, so there are no surprises. The clasp is trash; there are four rusty spots, and one pearl has a thinning nacre. Other than those flaws, the pearls are bigger, the luster looks great in real life, and theoretically, they won't wear out quite as fast as the akoyas.

photo 1.jpgFreshadama strand, 7-8 mm, taken to help match with pearl earrings.photo 4.jpg

The SSPs are priced $30 less than the akoyas, which are also very reasonably priced. And if minor things (like clasps) were equal, which would you choose? And are there any watchouts?

And oh, I plan to wear the winning strand about once a week.

What do you think?

Last edited:
This is the CORRECT definition of Madama. PP strand in the natural blue is many times more costly and rare than the strand from the etsy seller.

Pearl Paradise: "We have selected few strands of our finest, natural-color, blue akoya pearl strands to submit to the Pearl Science Laboratory of Japan for grade certification. These strands have achieved the “madama” level, or the equivalent grade of hanadama (highest) for natural-color, blue akoya strands. The colors are completely natural. "

Thanks, Pattye. Must these pearls also be perfectly round (which the Etsy pearls are not) to qualify for Madama status?

Great job, Pattye! Madama refers to the highest grade of blue akoyas. That means that they have a perfect surface and are round. Baroques could not possibly be Madamas.

That said, there is a genetic factor that makes roundness in blue akoyas a very rare quality and even round madamas may not be perfectly spherical.

I would go for the necklace that I liked the best, visually. You have more pearls now and are not likely to wear anything out since you will probably rotate through them, right? :)

I assume someone would have spoken out if this was not the case but I'll still ask an ignorant question: We are sure the second necklace are SSP and not large Chinese freshwater, right?

- Karin

Karin, I considered that, too. It's most certainly beaded, and the shape reminded me of akoyas rather than FW flameballs. The bright platinum color also made distinct from the light grey FWPs that I often see.

Of course, I could be wrong.

I was thinking of white/ silver Chinese Kasumi-like with smooth rather than rippled surface. I don't have an opponion about the necklace. I just recall having seen such a thing.

- Karin

While I still have an opponion about the second necklace from looking at it, this part worries me, "The clasp is trash; there are four rusty spots". Would anyone use a clasp less than 14K white or yellow gold for nice, big SSP's?

- Karin

More nacre issues.

The vendor of the Akoya pearls sent me a message today that she will have to take out one pearl which was beginning to peel from a hole. That and the restringing will probably result in a 17" necklace.

Maybe I should just tell the hubby that I have a metallic baroque FWP strand coming from PP, and make him pay for that.

Karin, in Greenhills, you buy the pearls, not the clasp. No matter how beautiful the strand, it will come with a throw-away clasp. So I usually take my purchase, find an after-market clasp and have a local jeweler restring them.

This strand is an aberration in Greenhills. First, 9-12in pearls are practically babies in this category; second, most Filipinas prefer the classic round pearls and not these baroques. Plus, it was priced to sell quickly, so I wasn't surprised to see flaws in this one. In fact, I expected more.

The only reason I haven't snapped up the Akoyas is that my eBay (and even some Etsy) purchases have underwhelmed me. While there are no madamas, hamadamas, or freshadamas coming out of Greenhills, at least I know exactly what I'm getting before I buy them.

Last edited:
Karin, in Greenhills, you buy the pearls, not the clasp. No matter how beautiful the strand, it will come with a throw-away clasp. So I usually take my purchase, find an after-market clasp and have a local jeweler restring them.

Ah, good to know!

- Karin

Well, that certainly isn't a good sign with the akoyas, no matter now pretty they are. Did you let the seller know she was misinterpreting the meaning of madama?

As for the other strand~I haven't seen white bead nucleated cfwp in the same silver white as white SS, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be very similar. There just wasn't anything about that strand screaming fw, not SS. I thought they looked rather blue silver, but perhaps the photo wasn't the true color.

I have had many silver and lt gray fw that are irradiated, and the SS strand doesn't have that look of being treated either. Most all the white beaded cfwp that I've seen have more of a creamy base color, if that makes any sense. Probably they are bleached, though I haven't heard that discussed specifically, as yet.

When you purchase from Pearl Paradise, you know what you are getting, and be assured it will be lovely! Please let us know what you decide.

I always pearl shop with a loupe and my craft glasses 3.5x and look over even the inexpensive strands so there are no surprises later.

Please let us know what you decide! I love these "shop along with me" threads!

Just my opinion of course, but from the pics, the SS looks a little rough to me. But they are a nice showy size and also that's a close up shot. They may look much nicer on. I like the blue akoyas but they're not as large as the SS so maybe not as showy. I'm not sure I'd want to go any further with someone who says their blue akoyas are madamas if they're not, though (if that's what happened there).

If your dream strand is the Kasumis, maybe also consider checking out some lower priced "Kasumi-like" ripple strands?

Sorry, that's all I've got. :) Let us see what you get!

I didn't think they were madamas either, but that's what she claimed. Besides I knew this would get a rise out of some of you so.... Hahaha.

Anyway, I've been looking at ripple pearls for quite a while. Lots of them online and in Greenhills, but the Kojima strand is something else. I think I'll wait and let the Universe put those kasumis in my hands.

The SSP wins in the end.

IMG_1802.jpg

Plus there is a metallic freshwater strand on its way from PP. So I get to have my birthday cake and eat it, too.

Oh my, those look beautiful on you! And you will love the metallics :) Happy Birthday!!!

Back