Sad News at Akoya Pearl Farms

Sad News at Akoya Pearl Farms

Jeremy what do you think the ramification of the loss of 90% of the Akoya including the juvenile shell not yet nucleated? I have seen this type of mortality before IE the Cook Islands and it has taken years to bring production back to pre incident levels. My preliminary assessment is this loss could be on terms with the worst in history.

Mr. You said the damage was at least limited to Zhanjiang. There are no shells in the area to purchase yet either, it will all have to come from hatchery or stock brought in from elsewhere.

If the farmers can re-nucleate and get shell in the water quickly, while they will not have anything to harvest this coming Winter, they will still have a future.

I am not sure what they are going to do with all the prematurely harvested akoya, though. There is not much of a market for it here.

I think akoya smaller than 7mm is going to be scarce in 2008...

Below is a shot of some of the deal shell in Xuwen.

Attachments

• deadshell.JPG
    deadshell.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 50
There are 500 households culture Akoya oysters in Bigwell village, leading pearl farmers are Li Er, Xie Linfa, Li Zhaoli, Xie Yongxin and so on. More than 100,000,000 Akoya oysters died
Those farmers have been picking died oysters on their farms to take out immature pearls for 7 days. They sell those pearls to pharmaceutical factories and arts & crafts studios. Unit price is at 800 yuan(US$125) per kilogram.Yesterday Xie Weixue’s wife told me that Xie Weixue had not eaten any food for three days, because he is frustrated by losses.
Up to now, the local government has not adopted aid measures to those poor farmers, who are very disappointed at the government.
It is high time that generous businesspeople donated money to them.
Vigor He
MSN:vigorhe@hotmail.com
E-mail:bigwellpearl@163.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more than sympathetic to the plight of the farmers. However, I do not think that anyone has the right to demand any donations. While the government has not stepped in, there are also wealthy people involved higher up in the pearl trade in China itself, locals who should be more than in tune with the situation being closer in proximity. Jeremy has stepped in through someone he knows and trusts, but people overseas who do not know the situation are not obliged to trust a stranger over the internet. There have been too many scams in the past, some based partially in fact, but the money never reached the victims.

Forgive my cynicism, but I will only donate money when I can be sure it's going to the right people. This forum is not only frequented by "wealthy" businessmen. Even if it is, Jeremy who has a farm in Xuwen itself has taken a hard hit and he has had to cope with his own losses while trying to help others on a limited scale. The number of consumers far outnumbers the vendors here. I do not mind forgoing my pearl purchase of the month to help people truly in need because I support the farmers, but only if I know where the money is going. NGOs mean nothing to me. When the tsunamis hit Indonesia NGOs were also involved, but most of the donations were still usurped by local authorities.

Perhaps you can also be more specific - how much donation were you expecting from here?

Bigwellpearls said:
It is high time that generous businesspeople donated money to them.

I really agree with Raisondetre here. The opinion that donations should be expected and required is rather distasteful to me. Donations should be the result of careful thought and personal conviction, not because there is any kind of pressure to make the donation. Donations should be strictly voluntary. Otherwise, it seems more like a tax.

Now, I do agree with Vigor that aid shold be given to the farmers. It is just tragic what has happened to the them. And while I do think companies who profit from these farms should help to restore them, it isn't really their responsibility. I think a lot more internal pressure should be placed on the shoulders of the local and federal governments to accept the responsibilty that rightfully belong to them. I am sure the Chinese government has made tons of money from the pearl trade, now they need to reinvest some of that.

And I think, from the consumer's standpoint, a safe place to donate would be welcome. As individuals we can't to much, but I know many people(who love pearls) who would like to do something. But that is the whole sticky part. If money isn't going from NGO'S to the proper people, and no-one feels safe donating to a stranger, we are all at a loss. Are any international charities doing anything about this? Can we raise awareness? Take out an ad in Pearl-World or other simliar publication?

Last edited:
Help to the Akoya Farmers

Help to the Akoya Farmers

Hi Salem and Raisondetre!

I agree wholeheartedly with Your posts, the feeling is very strong that we should have some kind of certainty where the money is going, I don?t want to get it to people that are "middle men" so I will wait until we have a safe source. I find it great of Jeremy to step in so fast, even if the money is a loan of kinds, he also has suffered a great loss together with his Chinese partner and I feel very strongly about the Cinese government take some responsibility towards it?s people!

Many times it seems to me, the government is counting on people from other countries to step in and give aid, when it would be the natural cause for it to give help.

Let?s hope that we can find a legal, honest source, where we can give a little monetary help.

Mr. He,

Maybe the nice pearl farmers of Bigwell would like to donate some money to the relatives of my good friends, who are presently in Ica and Cajete, Peru. From what you have written, at least you still have medication, doctors, hospitals, fresh water, food, homes, higher schools and family members available. One of my friends cannot locate his aunt or his 90 year old grandmother. There is major looting and murder going on. Any kind of medical care is barely existant. Almost everyone there has been victim to loss of family members. IF ONLY they had food to refuse for three days.

As everyone can see, I am not particularly sympathetic to sending money to someone because their son or daughter won't be able to go to college next year when there are much bigger tragedies around the world besides loss of akoya pearl oysters, which will eventually be taken care of by the government.

Slraep

Very well put. I think the three of you have clearly conveyed the sentiments everyone here feels. There have been so many disasters around the world in recent years, and even those donated funds strictly monitored have always gone the wrong direction - at least in part. So just asking for donations for a disaster but in a murky way will not work.

Personally I feel, Vigor, that the best thing you can do for the farmers is to keep getting the word out. Your first post here you also emailed to people you know in the business. Now a lot of people in the business are sympathetic to the plight. We will now do what we can to help get the industry back on its feet through investments and loans. But trying to simply funnel money directly to farmers in need, especially given the rural area and the number of farmers, is just not a feasible solution.

May be it is best to give money to the general fund (i.e., not tied to a particular area or disaster) of an organization with international reputation, e.g., Save the Children, etc. That way their staff can decide where the money is needed and where they can put resoures into effectively. They have the data and contacts.

I do feel sympathetic to the pearl farmers, but have a dumb question. Is catastrophe insurance available for businesses in China?

Regards,
pernula

Last edited:
pernula said:
May be it is best to give money to the general fund (i.e., not tied to a particular area or disaster) of an organization with international reputation, e.g., Save the Children, etc. That way their staff can decide where the money is needed and where they can put resoures into effectively. They have the data and contacts.

I do feel sympathetic to the pearl farmers, but have a dumb question. Is catastrophe insurance available for businesses in China?

Regards,
pernula

Aquaculture industry is an adventurous industry, the insurance company in China does not insure this industry, it is difficult to evaluate, therefore, farmers have to risk on their own liability if disaster comes.

None of pearl farmers would had invested in insurance even if catastrophe insurance was available for pearling industry.
Vigor

Vigor, thank you for skyping me and bringing my attention to this catastrophy. Being a farmer myself, my heart goes out to those people who lost everything. Good luck with your efforts to raise money.

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,
Yesterday I interviewed Mr. Chen Shun, director of the Ocean & Fishery Bureau of Xuwen County, in order to make sure that how Guangdong Provincial Government will exercise economic support for the stricken farmers who are engaged with aquaculture. The dialogue between Mr. Chen and me is as follows:
Vigor: Mr. Chen, could you please tell me about what actions the Provincial government and the county government shall take to help the poor farmers out?
Mr.Chen: Sure, the Provincial Government has ordered the Finance Department to withdraw ?100,000 (US$13,297) to comfort major farmers.
Vigor: Why did the provincial government appropriate so less money?
Mr.Chen: A superior told me that the money was just a sympathetic comfort to the stricken farmers. We have decided to suspend charging waters-use fee ?4,500(US$598) per hectare /year from farmers for a year. The government also encourages the local Rural Credit Union to offer loans at low interests to the farmers.
Vigor: Thank you for your information, Mr. Chen.
Mr. Chen: It is my pleasure. Thank you for your interview.
Mr.Chen Shun’s assistant handed in a copy of report on the loss of aquaculture in western fishing village of Xuwen County caused by Paboo typhoon.
1. Akoya pearl farms 1,591 hectares
2. Shrimp farms 1,887 hectares
3. Mussel farms 180 hectares
4. Raised fish in net cages in waters: 5,300 cages.
5. Sunk fishing boats 39
6. Freshwater tilapia 13 hectares
7. Losses of devastated fishing ports ?1,400,000 (US$186,170)
8. Losses of abalone ?2,000,000 (US$265,957)
9. Losses of nets 1800
Kind Regards,
Vigor He

Back