Sad News at Akoya Pearl Farms

B

Bigwellpearls

Akoya Pearl Farms Defeated by Typhoon Flood in China

By Mr. Vigor He , native of Zhanjiang

E-mail: bigwellpearl@163.com

From August 10th to August 13th, 2007, No.7 typhoon, Paboo attacked Leizhou Peninsula, Zhanjiang , it had been pouring rain excessively for four days. Flood with dirty red soil which contains virus rapidly flowed into waters where Akoya pearl oysters are being cultured, pearls are about to be harvested in September and December. Ninety-five per cent of Akoya oysters died suddenly in Bigwell( 大井村Dajing/Dwajor/ ) village,Xuwen County, nickname as No.1 Akoya pearl Village in China, What’s worse, 100 percent of Akoya oysters died in Qishui, Leizhou. Most farmers in Bigwell village got loans from the bank, some borrowed their relative’s money to invest in the pearl farm. Xie Weixue, one of the leading pearl farmers in Bigwell village was frightened to shock for a day and he woke after being injected medication, all of his Akoya oysters died, he lost two million yuan /RMB in this disaster.

Total amount of loss of pearls is 500 million yuan in Zhanjiang. All cultured fish, shrimp and mussels died. Aquaculture industry has been destroyed in this typhoon flood in Zhanjiang. Estimated loss amounts to 7 billion yuan.

Akoya oysters survived only about 4 million, so successful pearl oysters to be harvested left only 2 tons at the end of this year. Less than 10 tons of the previous year. Obviously, the price of Akoya pearls from Zhanjiang, China will rise by 25 percent in winter and next spring.On behalf of all pearl farmers in Zhanjiang, I heartfelt appeal to generous businesspeople who have loving kindness in developed countries donate money to save unfortunate pearl farmers, support them to recover facilities for culturing pearl oysters. Their children would not afford expensive tuitions for higher education in September if nobody donates money to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is true. We lost 700,000 shell.

The storm dumped too much freshwater into the bay and the salinity of the water dropped drastically. Even dropping the shells 5 meters could not save them all. The fish farms lost nearly 100%.

Anyway, things happen, it is part of the life of pearl farming. It is sad, but it is by no means the end. We are going to start grafting again in the next few months.

This is a picture of the devastation at a fish farm in Xuwen.

Attachments

• SSL20049.JPG
    SSL20049.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 62
jshepherd said:
It is true. We lost 700,000 shell.

The storm dumped too much freshwater into the bay and the salinity of the water dropped drastically. Even dropping the shells 5 meters could not save them all. The fish farms lost nearly 100%.

Anyway, things happen, it is part of the life of pearl farming. It is sad, but it is by no means the end. We are going to start grafting again in the next few months.

Hi Jeremy,

what a catastrophy! Is there anything we customers could do to help especially those poor pearl farmers? If so, let us know - we maybe cannot give much but if we can give some help we certainly are going to try.

That is very generous of you. But I believe the government will step in down there. That is what usually happens in these types of situations. The flooding was the worst in 200 years (they say), so it is natural catastrophe.

I will keep you updated as I hear more.

It's so sad. I really do hope China steps up and helps out the farmers, perhaps especially the smaller ones. Pearls bring in so much revenue to the country that I would think they would make it a priority. That photo is just devastating. I hope they are able to recover soon. I know we wll all be eager for news.

Holy cow...that's horrible >.< I feel for all those farmers and people who suffered losses. Hopefully proper assistance will be given to all who need it...

What an overwhelming picture of the oysters. As a pearl lover, I sometimes forget that there are critters that make these beautiful pearls I enjoy. It is sad that most were lost and the time and effort that a small ( and all) farmer has put into a harvest is not rewarded. It seems like a arduous industry as it is. I am glad to hear that the government might have the resources to help out. It is an international disaster when a popular product is affected. Good luck to all of them.

This is incredibly depressing.

I have felt a kinship with the Chinese, partly because I have Chinese family members, but mostly because 99% of the pearl work I do is with Chinese cultured pearls.

It won't affect my business because I have way too much inventory. But for most of the small farmers affected by the flood it means an end to their dreams.

Having lived in Africa, I can say that it can be fiendishly difficult to ensure that aid actually gets to the intended recipients. I was able to purchase 25lb sacks of rice on the open market that were donated by the United States to feed the starving. Things get "diverted".

So if we can find a legitimate NGO to donate money to, that would be a good option. Anyone have any ideas?

Blaire

A 200 year flood. Words always seem to fall shy of expressing concerns and condolences and good wishes for a speedy recovery. Please know that our prayers are with all those families so stricken and our hearts go out to you.

Blaire: Please define NGO for me. Thanks!

You know, you gave me an idea, although I don't know how doable it is. Several of our members know/work with many small farms that produce pearls. Would it be possible to ask one of them to recommend a safe contact in China so that we could somehow get the money directly to the villages? I know it maybe tricky, and with so few members here the aid may not be all that helpful, but atleast we could know it went to the people who really needed it. I have no idea how hard it is to form an NGO in China, so maybe my idea isn't such a good one.

Not to bag the Chinese (I am Chinese and I've seen how it is there firsthand) - unless you are physically there and set it up yourself, investigate who was really affected, I wouldn't trust anyone with any sum of money there. The government is corrupt so whatever aid they give will be channeled elsewhere and eventually some will filter through, but unless you can stay there yourself, it's really hard.

E.g. during the bird flu epidemic there was aid from the government - compensation based on livestock numbers culled. Instead of actually culling chickens, somehow they rerouted chickens from other provinces or something to make up numbers, endangering other people unnecessarily, all in the name of cash. No, it's a minority of people, but you really never know unless you do it yourself. That's why I don't donate to charities if I don't know where the money's going. Gotta do your research.

Last edited:
Hi, members

could we give som aid in the form of money through The Xuwen Pearl Paradise Chinese Partner? I do not know how far away the place is, where the poorest of the farmers live but it seems to me that Jeremy is our only good connection who could provide us with advice on that if we can?t trust the usual charity channels or am I wrong?

I do not really know anything about that. Unfortunately I feel the same way as Raisondetre. It just seems impossible to me. I am going to forward this thread to Mr. You just to get his opinion.

Vigor,

What did you mean in your post? Donate to the farmers ... how? Is there something in China similar to the western Red Cross? Is there an non-profit organization that is dealing with this catastrophe?

Thanks for the ideas. Jeremy is probably right. We'll have to wait and see, but it's so frustrating.

Blaire

jshepherd said:
I do not really know anything about that. Unfortunately I feel the same way as Raisondetre. It just seems impossible to me. I am going to forward this thread to Mr. You just to get his opinion.

Vigor,

What did you mean in your post? Donate to the farmers ... how? Is there something in China similar to the western Red Cross? Is there an non-profit organization that is dealing with this catastrophe?

Hi Jeremy,
I meant that fund donation would be given to individual pearl farmer one by one in accordance with their true losses, but nobody is allowed to exaggerate their losses. Only by the way of NGO can the donation be sent to all pearl farmers. I strongly suggest that the money donated by generous businesspeople should be collected by US NGO, such as Red Cross, Christian Church Association and then remit the amount to Xuwen Christian Church, representatives from U.S.A. can be appointed to handle this donation, I promise to give you a hand to withdraw the remittance from Bank of China, Zhanjiang Branch, and assign a trustworthy person to supervise allocations.
I will give you an A/C number available to remit by T/T, if those who are willing to donate.
Kind Regards,
Yours Sincerely,
Vigor He ( He Jiawu)

Sad News at Akoya Pearl Farms

From August 10th to August 13th, 2007, No.7 typhoon, Paboo attacked Leizhou Peninsula, Zhanjiang , it had been pouring rain excessively for four days. Flood with red soil which contains virus rapidly flowed into waters where Akoya pearl oysters are being cultured, pearls are about to be harvested in September and December. Ninety-five per cent of Akoya oysters died suddenly in Bigwell( 大井村Dajing/Dwajor/ Dyegon ) village,Xuwen County, nickname as No.1 Akoya pearl Village in China, What?s worse, 100 percent of Akoya oysters died in Qishui, Leizhou. Most farmers in Bigwell village got loans from the bank, some borrowed their relative?s money to invest in the pearl farm. Xie Shixue, one of the leading pearl farmers in Bigwell village was frightened to shock for a day and he woke after being injected medication, all of his Akoya oysters died, he lost two million yuan /RMB in this disaster.

Total amount of loss of pearls is 500 million yuan in Zhanjiang. All cultured fish, shrimp and mussels died. Aquaculture industry has been destroyed in this typhoon flood in Zhanjiang. Estimated loss amounts to 7 billion yuan.

Akoya oysters survived only about 400 million, so successful pearl oysters to be harvested left only 2 tons at the end of this year. Less than 10 tons of the previous year. Obviously, the price of Akoya pearls from Zhanjiang, China will rise by 25 percent in winter and next spring. On behalf of all pearl farmers in Zhanjiang, I heartfelt appeal to generous businesspeople who have loving kindness in developed countries donate money to save unfortunate pearl farmers, support them to recover facilities for culturing pearl oysters. Their children would not afford expensive tuitions for higher education in September if nobody donates money to them.

It is truly a devastating hit for China, not only in pearls and other farm industries, but in so many other ways as well. Many people have lost their lives, including over 100 in a coal mine who were struck without notice by the flood. It is so unbelievably sad.

I think donating money is a great idea! However, I think it is really important to find a foundation in China who is honest and will actually put the money to use in the appropriate places.

My heart goes out to the families in need there!

As I mentioned last week, I sent a message to my business partner in China from the forum. This is his response:

I agree with Raisondetre. The gov. should aid the farmers to resume. Last week, the Xuwen gov. called on the people to donate to help the disaster area (everyone do it). But I don`t think the money can be sent to the poor people indeed. I don`t trust the gov. as well. No one knows how the money spend.

On 14th, I went to our farm with two reporters and we investigated most pearl farmers and fisher. Some people did lost all their own. I think the gov. can aid them some( gov. did) but the money is limited, not enough to resume. Now the bank can loan they as the instruction from the gov. Thanks so much for so many people regards. But if they want to donate, I can contact the local organization and can know how the money spend. The people in need can have your aid.

I sent $40,000 today from "us", as a type of loan. Mr. You is going to use it to pay farmers and buy shell, so nucleation should begin again shortly in Xuwen anyway. They will pull through this. Japan did in 1996.

The government of Guangdong also pledged $5.2 million to boost the development of the local akoya pearl industry. This was actually before the typhoon, but it shows that the government is getting involved in the industry. There is talk of some pretty exciting stuff, including the hybridization of the local shell with the Indian akoya.

Back