Real or fake?

enbcfsobe

Saw these as part of a listing that specified the pearls were not tested to determine whether they were real or fake. Any thoughts? I haven't looked at enough pictures to make a good guess. My initial impression was that they might be too round and the knots looked too big (though the size is given as 5mm, so it may be perspective). But I have also been astounded by the number of times folks here have said pearls look "eggy" and I just can't see it. No clasp as it is a long endless rope, so that doesn't give any clues. It looks like there might be some marks on some of the beads, but I can't tell if that's just (a) reflection or (b) wear & tear. Input is much appreciated -- I am trying to improve my eye!
878015927141rt.JPG
309566727140rt.JPG

I vote fake. In addition to what Pearl Dreams said, there is no orient at all. The color is very uniform and flat.

I'm curious. How long is the rope? And how much are they asking for them?

it's a goodwill auction for an 80" rope. current price is around $5.

My vote goes to imitation pearls too - too uniform with no sign of any imperfections.

DK :)

thanks, all! seems like my gut was right. pearls are so tricky, though -- I don't know how you all can tell so much from photos! the natural vs cultured threads are incredible to follow for this reason.

Experience with the real thing really helps in evaluating photos. :)

Back