Questions on beading essentials

kelluvpearls

Consumer
Hi all
Starting my own question thread as I have too many LBC questions, thank you in advance!
Question 1
I want to set up a mini stash for knotting pearls, since I live overseas I thought I'll get around 10/15 colours in one go.I was wondering if people just get the regular thickness or do I need the heavier and finer thickness thread as well?

Question 2
Colours, here's Pattye's chart.
image.jpg
My list so far, may chop and change it after hearing other people's experiences.
1. gray
2. charcoal
3. Gold
4. Lilac
5. Ivory
6. Taupe
8. Teal
9. Leaf

I usually buy several different sizes, because I don't know in advance the size holes I'll be stringing.

I'll start with a thinner thread, and if the knot slides into the hole, then I start over with thicker thread.

P.S. I use my thread doubled, as I find it easier to snug the knot up that way, and I can drop a thread if there's a tight bit.

Last edited:
I have used:
white
night (for my blueish Tahitians),
black (for my darker Tahitians),
baby (for my mixed color FW round exotics) and
rose (for a strand of metallic baroque FWP that are a more coppery/purply color)
sky (for my baroque blue akoyas)

My next purchase will probably include ivory, and maybe royal.

I've only used the regular thickness so far.

Thus far I have used Storm, Forest, and Coal...all have worked well with my tahitians in darker colors. I am awaiting a new order of Taupe (for some freshwater ripples that have a variety of warm colors) and Gray for my new light mix tahitians. Pattye is very generous with her threads, and a little card is plenty to string multiple necklaces (even with error!) Also, you may want to order some gimp from her, as well as beading needles.

Thanks everyone, you're input is very invaluable, I will get a selection of colours and the needles and some gimp as well.
Here's my revised list.

Storm,* forest, coal, night, taupe, grey x 2, turquoise, shell, gold, lilac, pink.

So I took PD's advice and ordered some soft touch threads, added some tornado crimps and elasticity thread to my order as well and a couple of new bead boards. Now I just need more pearls so I can practice knotting.

I don't have your patience JP, or the talent, but I do have one pink peach strand that I might like to wear again. :D

I laugh because patience is not my strong suit...and as far as talent goes, well, let's just say that I have been guided by some very wonderful EXPERTS here on PG. Never be afraid to make a mistake, and let your creative mind wander.

I just want to suggest the Topaz color, it is really nice when stringing real turquoise beads.

When someone watches me handweaving and tells me that they don't have patience to do that, I tell them, "It doesn't take patience. It teaches patience."

You will have all the patience in the world to do the things you really enjoy.

Thank you all, so far I ordered wire, crimps, threads, needles, gimp and silver orbit clasps from PP. Now just have to wait a week or two for shipping. I'll start on the light mix bracelet and see how I go.
Which Japanese knotting video is the best to view?

So my tools and threads are here! Thank you Pattye for the lovely package! Going to practice knotting soon!

Back