Plastic nuclei used in pearls?

jomyers

Hello
I'm new here but have been studying pearls for six years and I have a very old Fuji pearls that by the thread hole you can see the exposed MOP bead. I have a new strand that the nacre is wearing off and the exposed bead is smooth like plastic and looks like a plastic bead. Plastic is organic so it theoretically used to nucleate a pearl.
Any pearlers think plastic is being used to nucleate pearls?
Wondering!

You may measure the diameter and the mass, the subsequent measurement would tell if the pearl is off chart (too light) as to confirm the possibility of organic polymer...
plastic is synthetic, the polymer is organic...
plastic is about 1,175
Nacre is about 2,750

Same as Jeremy, plus plastic nuc may not be the best solution due to market requirement, using low density material will decrease market value of finished product. The pearl would be lighter for the same diameter, and price is based on mass as much as appearance.

Adding this link to information from Mikeyy, our resident expert on pearl nuclei, posted on another thread here

I'm pasting an add I found.....I new they were using plastic in the new pearls." Another words , they take a Plastic Bead and Cultivate it for a short Time" This is from Danecraft pearls on ebay. This is sad.

They often use plasitc nuclei to grow faux pearls. I've seen a lot of that on faux pearl farms. Very popular there unlike glass pearl farms where they use hummingbird eggs. No,really! I read about it on Ebay so I know it's true. ;)

I'm pasting an add I found.....I new they were using plastic in the new pearls." Another words , they take a Plastic Bead and Cultivate it for a short Time" This is from Danecraft pearls on ebay. This is sad.

I can't tell if you're joking or serious in this post ... about the ad or whether you believe it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=danecraft%20pearls&clk_rvr_id=477526304306&adpos=1t1&MT_ID=70&crlp=21389570765_2416792&geo_id=10232&keyword=danecraft+pearls&adgroup_id={ADGRP_ID}&crdt=0

sorry -the url wouldn't take as a link.

It is totally logical that Danecraft pearls are grown on plastic nuclei. They have special mechanical elves that do the work under union conditions.... And now, I am am going to watch out for those Danecraft grape clusters posing as Akoyas!

Mikeyy, Caitlin, Thank you for the best laughs of my week!!!!!

I'm not joking about the plastic used for nuclei. They are using a plastic beads in some places because it's cheap and organic so a pearl would form.
Thanks for your understanding guys!

Jomyers,

The Danecraft Fuji Seas pearls are attractive, imitation, manmade pearls. They are not a cultured pearl. The company should have imitation somewhere in their product title. Is there any misunderstanding about that? Many of the resellers, such as those on ebay, are not fully disclosing this information. Danecraft is a US company that specializes in costume jewelry and has for many years.

Mabe pearls are very different than whole pearls. Plastic nuclei could be used with mabe because when the pearls are harvested, the nucleus is removed and the pearl is filled with resin. The plastic doesn't stay with the pearl.

Plastic cannot be used for nuclei. The thermal expansion coefficient must match, which is why shell is used. The nucleus must expand and contract with the nacre. The density needs to be the same.

If plastic were used, the pearls would be destroyed as soon as they were drilled.

Last edited:
I just like the phrase "thermal expansion coefficient". It makes us sound like scientists. ;)

Back