Found in a big bag o’ junk…

Wednesday

I’ve been at it again- eBay and charity shops…
Four real pearl strands (and a lot of plastic beads).
I’d be really grateful if the experts could take quick look please, tell me what you think. My own impression, for what it’s worth is that the strands with clasps on them were beautiful and probably quite expensive, but now past their best. A few damaged and discoloured pearls and peeling nacre on both. That said, the larger pearls at the front are still attractive so they can probably be re-worked to use the best ones. These two have the nicest clasps I’ve come across. Both have sapphires, and the one set with a pearl has a very clever little safety catch on it.

The two broken stands are also quite pretty- the like seed pearls don’t have much lustre, but they will work for the project I have in mind. The larger broken strand I’m less sure about- could they be Akoya, or are they freshwater? I’m not experienced enough to tell.
Grateful for any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_4769.jpeg
    IMG_4769.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4770.jpeg
    IMG_4770.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4775.jpeg
    IMG_4775.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4776.jpeg
    IMG_4776.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4780.jpeg
    IMG_4780.jpeg
    948.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4781.jpeg
    IMG_4781.jpeg
    899.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4786.jpeg
    IMG_4786.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 54
Nice clasps. Sapphires have been man made for around 100 years, so these could be mined or created. You have enough real akoya pearls there to create one or two nice necklaces, and toss the bad pearls.

Thank you! I’ve managed to get matinee length necklace out of the two with saphire clasps The bright blue single sapphire is synthetic, but the ones or the pearl clasp are mined, and it's a really lovely clasp so I used that one.

The non graduated strand is just long enough for a choker

Attachments

• IMG_4790.jpeg
    IMG_4790.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
I think those are some lovely Akoyas. Your eye is good! They have wonderful luster. It’s interesting that the pearls near the clasps are the worn and damaged ones. I assume that greater contact with skin and cosmetics behind the neck would do that. (Also the practice of using lesser-quality pearls at the back of a necklace, which was presumed mostly hidden from social view.) But there are plenty left to have fun with. Love your new strand. I think the Deco sapphire clasp is beautiful and I would use that with pride. Thanks for sharing!

I think those are some lovely Akoyas. Your eye is good! They have wonderful luster. It’s interesting that the pearls near the clasps are the worn and damaged ones. I assume that greater contact with skin and cosmetics behind the neck would do that. (Also the practice of using lesser-quality pearls at the back of a necklace, which was presumed mostly hidden from social view.) But there are plenty left to have fun with. Love your new strand. I think the Deco sapphire clasp is beautiful and I would use that with pride. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! I was curious about that too- I wondered if hair (or more likely, hair products) contributed to the damage. They are definitely lower quality- a few cute little almost-baroque shapes back there.

Thank you! I was curious about that too- I wondered if hair (or more likely, hair products) contributed to the damage. They are definitely lower quality- a few cute little almost-baroque shapes back there.

I’ve seen this “barrel” shape on akoya pearls at the back of several well worn necklaces when re-knotting for clients. Some have been worn down to the bare nuclei.

I’ve seen this “barrel” shape on akoya pearls at the back of several well worn necklaces when re-knotting for clients. Some have been worn down to the bare nuclei.
Yes! A few of them had been worn right down. I took them out but haven’t had the heart to toss them- somebody wore the heck out of these pearls and probably treasured them!

Back