Pinctada Maculata (Pipi) Pearls

loloperle,

These are the most glorious pearls I can remember seeing. What wouldn't I give to own even one. More would be better though :) Just love them. You are very lucky. I realise you have worked hard to get them all but still so lucky.

Steve, glorious.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 and natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.

Thought to remind everyone just how small P. maculata is. The brightest and most golden shell in the sea happens to be among the smallest, if not the smallest.

But there are clearly localized populations, sub-speciated on remote atolls (such as Penrhyn in the Cook Islands and the much smaller Ahunui in the Tuamotos?right, loloperle?) where it becomes a viable pearl producer.

Latest DNA shows Pinctada maculata to be the direct ancestor of three very noble Pinctada species: P. fucata/martensii (akoya), P. radiata (Persian Gulf) and P. imbricata (Ceylon), all belonging to the family of smallish pearl oysters with toothed hinges. I guess we now know where the 'orient' in 'oriental pearls' really originates!

Attachments

• PMaculataShell.jpg
    PMaculataShell.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 36
Totally stunning pearl Steve.
So p mac is being farmed now.yes?
are p radiata or imbricata.? what sort of pearls do they produce?

Totally stunning pearl Steve.
So p mac is being farmed now.yes?
are p radiata or imbricata.? what sort of pearls do they produce?

According to locals farming of P. maculata on Penrhyn was attempted (along with P. margaritifera) in the 1980s but the atoll is simply too remote, and the size of the shells too small to have sustained any longterm effort. Not to mention the Cook Islands' prohibition of foreign ownership.

What sort of pearls from P. radiata and P. imbricata? See below!

(Photo courtesy Jeremy Shepherd)

Attachments

• Pearl Museum 4.jpg
    Pearl Museum 4.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Have added a link to the photo credit.

Back