P. Maculata + P. Maxima: Once and for all.

SteveM

This thread requires some review, and I propose to start with this post in the Pinctada Maculata thread concerning our necklace 'Poe Io Mata Nui' by Ben Bergman in Rarotonga.

Trepidation abounds in starting this thread (when has that stopped me before?), as it portends a culmination of sorts. I can't believe what has occurred, and it may yet end in disappointment. But as my entire pearl experience has been lived here, I will carry this to its conclusion with Pearl-Guide in mind.

Three posts are required to kick things off:

First:

Poe Io Mata Nui (10 Poe Pipi 5.7mm-7.2mm plus 13.5mm SS drop), Te Poe O Te Kuki Airani (1700 Poe Pipi 3mm-3.5mm), and the original loose pearl selection for Poe Io.

Background: Following our acquisition of Te Poe, we commissioned a second complementary piece that would feature fewer, albeit among the largest available, Poe Pipi. Bergman, upon discovering the finest SS drop of his professional career on a purchasing trip to Australia (his original home), allowed the SS drop to become an overwhelming focus of the piece, reluctantly sacrificing Poe Io's 100% natural qualification. The drop's size and white body also had the effect of robbing impact from the rarity and importance of the Poe Pipi.

We agreed with Ben at the time that should a natural pearl of comparable beauty be acquired, at any price, it would be substituted. Market price for a 14mm symmetrical Sejny drop in Bahrain is $100K, so it was a dream. Ideally, the pearl would also be a touch smaller in size, also for balance.

Attachments

• 1TePoe:PoeIo:PoeSS.jpg
    1TePoe:PoeIo:PoeSS.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Second:

Pearl-Guiders were astounded by the tech-savvy postings of Budi the Diver from Banyuwangi, East Java, whose team of octupus divers had established a sideline in natural pearl collection with notable finds already in the hands of noteworthy natural pearl collectors. Budi may live to regret his decision to aspire to such visibility, given the nature of the niche.

But I was here, my eyes were open, and I could not believe what I saw: A natural Pinctada Maxima drop, symmetrcal and nearly perfect, coloration in a creamy/white range and with a size that could not have been more perfect for our purposes (12mm x 14mm). Dipping my hands in the fabulous vaults of Dubai I could not have found a more perfect pearl for Poe Io!

After Budi's all-night drive from Banyuwangi to Surabaya (the nearest FedEx station), the drop is on its way to us!

Attachments

• 2WSSDrop11cts:SixShotsX.jpg
    2WSSDrop11cts:SixShotsX.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Third:

A shot of Poe Io Mata Nui on Ben Bergman's workbench, with Budi's Drop.

Road ahead: Pearl is in FedEx's hands and will arrive on Tuesday, although I will not return from business travel until Friday. My dentist (and long-time wine-drinking buddy) will immediately arrange to XRay the pearl to confirm its non-nucleated status.

Ben is excited to switch the pearls, make any necessary adjustments to the settings, and to create a new masterpiece from that incredible SS drop.

Regarding certification, certainly the Poe Pipi are not in doubt, and the provenance of Budi's drop, assuming it is non-nucleated, seems unimpeachable.

Stay tuned…

Attachments

• 3PoeIo:NaturalDrop.jpg
    3PoeIo:NaturalDrop.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
The Risk

The Risk

Hi, Steve,

That is a great looking pearl!

At present, many non bead nucleated cultured pearls are coming out of Indonesia, and--regardless of the story of provenance-- I recommend you not pay until you have certification, because dental Xrays, while helpful, miss a high percentage of non-bead cultured. GIA New York or Carlsbad can issue a report on a single pearl in about a month. SSEF in Switzerland is a bit faster but more costly.

If certainty is not crucial, then carry on despite financial risk, but adjust the price you pay accordingly, since as you say...market price for a natural like that might be $50,000 to 100,000 for a perfect pearl, but only $5 to $10 for a non-bead nucleated cultured pearl...or one million percent difference in value. (Is that math correct?)

Best regards and congratulations.

Tom

Tom,

So glad to have your input here. Certification will definitely be pursued, but my dilemma is whether to wait for the results on the drop or just do the whole necklace together (for appraisal purposes, not for my faith in the poe pipi). On the other hand, once I knew I owned a $50/100K pearl I may fear letting anyone drill it!

Given your reference to non-nucleated cultured (as in Freshwater?), the XRay would seem futile, since its only purpose is to determine the presence or absence of a bead. Are we to look for something else in the XRay?

I'm a little doubtful regarding the low end estimate of $5 to $10, unless indeed it is FW. A beaded saltwater SS drop such as this would probably wholesale for what we will pay.

We'll all find out together!

Non bead nucleated saltwater cultured pearls

Non bead nucleated saltwater cultured pearls

Tom,

So glad to have your input here. Certification will definitely be pursued, but my dilemma is whether to wait for the results on the drop or just do the whole necklace together (for appraisal purposes, not for my faith in the poe pipi). On the other hand, once I knew I owned a $50/100K pearl I may fear letting anyone drill it!

Given your reference to non-nucleated cultured (as in Freshwater?), the XRay would seem futile, since its only purpose is to determine the presence or absence of a bead. Are we to look for something else in the XRay?

I'm a little doubtful regarding the low end estimate of $5 to $10, unless indeed it is FW. A beaded saltwater SS drop such as this would probably wholesale for what we will pay.

We'll all find out together!

Hi, Steve,

The NBN from Indonesia are saltwater.

Tom

Thanks. Looks like we can skip the XRay! Ironically, most pearl books you pick up, including Strack, still cite this as part of the ID process.

Anyone care to catch us up on the technical and historical advent of cultured non-nucleated symmetrical pearls from saltwater mollusks? FW technique as I understand it involves a slight twist of the wrist when inserting the mantel tissue to help form a round saq.

The formation of the pearl is mostly due to injury that displaces a few mantle cells into the interior of the mantle. (See Strack) Rarely will there be a parasite, or any object in pinctadas. Parasites drilling through the shell seem to mostly occur in Abalone, they don't get into the mantle- or rather, when they do, the abalone dies.

Tissue nuked salt waters......why has there never been a word about these.

I think I will write to TPP if no one over here can give any more info than the GIA says so.

Anyone care to catch us up on the technical and historical advent of cultured non-nucleated symmetrical pearls from saltwater mollusks?

A minuscule first step...

http://www.goldenpearls.biz/keshi-pearls.htm

I know only what you see, and guess that the keshi were not the intended harvest - as usual. Reason: examples reputedly from the same locale show keshi more or less attached to twisted, contorted, often multicolour nucleated pearls. Would like to believe that the larger, nicer, symmetrical ones have a different kind of accident behind.

I got interested in the story of these pearls for two reasons: for once, it is nice to see the variety between smaller farm production - efficiency be damned! The wasteful mystery of a harvest feels more like what something rare and precious ought to feel. (makes sense? If it has to make sense, I could always come up with a story...)

Secondly, remember those pearl-growing pearls? [LINK] methinks: sacks intertwined, large pearl grows over small, nacre of large pearl ages, small pearl released, legend-making enough? With the rarefied naturals, testing the idea is a long shot. With a botched cultured pearls showing similar growth, it ought to be a breeze.

[disclaimer: yes, this is Victoian arm-chair science reading - relevance not proven, all further concerns simply suspended.]

Last edited:
OK, so I'm getting that Tom's term 'NBN' refers to keshi and not a new farming development. And I suppose that given enough examples, relatively symmetrical pearls are found. But still…Budi's Drop?

The XRay should determine if there is a bead, if not then there is still a remote possibility that the pearl could be a keshi. In which case I guess we would remain satisfied that it is one AMAZING keshi!

Last edited:
... I suppose that given enough examples, relatively symmetrical pearls are found. But still…Budi's Drop?

Can't be exceedingly difficult to find out whether one of these fellows has a similar keshi in stock. I believe it is possible, but have not seen enough to make up my mind what are the odds. Wouldn't mind finding out :cool: - the process or the result, that is.

Can't be exceedingly difficult to find out whether one of these fellows has a similar keshi in stock.
Trade sources thus far indicate they have not seen a keshi like that.

Collectively, the pearl merchants here at Pearl-Guide should be able to put this to a quick test.

To be determined:

Are we the owners of Budi's Drop, or merely the first on our block to own a 'Budi's drop'?!

Non-Bead Nucleated Saltwater Cultured Pearls

Non-Bead Nucleated Saltwater Cultured Pearls

Thanks. Looks like we can skip the XRay! Ironically, most pearl books you pick up, including Strack, still cite this as part of the ID process.

Anyone care to catch us up on the technical and historical advent of cultured non-nucleated symmetrical pearls from saltwater mollusks? FW technique as I understand it involves a slight twist of the wrist when inserting the mantel tissue to help form a round saq.

Hi,

I think an Xray is a good first step, because there are many features that may immediately inform you the object is a non-bead nucleated saltwater cultured pearl. If examining a parcel of new pearls, these types you put in your pile NOT to go to GIA, SSEF, Gemlab, AGTA, or any of the other testing labs because it will just cost you plenty to find out what you already have learned.

The ones you think MAY BE NATURAL, you then send to any of the top labs for a report. Because they have better equipment, they can see telltale signs not visible on the type of xray available to you.

Even then, the labs may disagree on a pearl, with one saying Natural, and a second equally authoritative lab saying Non Bead Nucleated.

Best regards.
Tom

I think an Xray is a good first step?
Just got an EMail from my dentist confirming the appointment (a couple bottles of wine and this one will remain 'off the books'). I hope to post the preliminary report on Friday evening.

Xray settings

Xray settings

Just got an EMail from my dentist confirming the appointment (a couple bottles of wine and this one will remain 'off the books'). I hope to post the preliminary report on Friday evening.

Hi,

You might try scanning and posting the xrays once you've got them. Then we can all talk about what we see.

Method: Take first view, then rotate pearl 90 degrees and take another. If possible, use a tiny patch of modeling clay to stand the pearl upright and take a 3rd view from that angle. Ask him to use enough kilovolts and milliamps to penetrate a wisdom tooth.

Best,
Tom

You might try scanning and posting the xrays once you've got them. Then we can all talk about what we see.

Method: Take first view, then rotate pearl 90 degrees and take another. If possible, use a tiny patch of modeling clay to stand the pearl upright and take a 3rd view from that angle. Ask him to use enough kilovolts and milliamps to penetrate a wisdom tooth.

Given this is a one-pearl deal, the voice of experience is immensely appreciated. The two 90-degree shots were a given. In this modern age of dentistry I was even hoping that XRays had become digital, but can easily scan.

The stage is set.

(Shades of OK Corral!)

My dentist has digital x-rays and shows them on a huge screen. I hope you get some good images. ;)

While we pause pending the X-rays of Budi's Drop, I add photos of a potentially valuable pearl we did not buy from Budi: 21ct baroque, offered as gold natural Pinctada Maxima.

An even more striking 28ct Platinum baroque had been previously purchased, purportedly by Kari Pearls, well known to many Pearl-Guide members.

Having expressed an interest in the gold pearl, Budi dutifully pursued a sale, EMailing me from Probolinggo during a rest stop halfway through his all-night trek from Banyuwangi to Surabaya with Budi's Drop. He was willing to ship both pearls at full risk to take advantage of the FedEx shipping charges.

But as we have seen on this thread, keshi-ness is a point of contention where uncertified naturals are concerned, subject to a roll of the dice in the certification process. I did offer to buy this pearl, as Dr. Tom has suggested, conditioned upon certification. Budi, reflecting confidence in his offer, declined based upon the far higher value the pearls would have following certification.

More grist for the mill?

Attachments

• PMGold21ct.jpg
    PMGold21ct.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 62
Back