Pinctada Maculata (Pipi) Pearls

Steve, it would be great to meet you and see Te Poe trophy sharing at Pearls By the Bay :)

MSC, I did get my tiny strand out and wear it; I wish I was better at photos ...

Alex Collins just arrived into town today. He owns a Tahitian pearl farm on Takaroa and brought a bunch of special pieces to do a live stream from our office tomorrow. I thought he was only bringing Tahitians, but he brought his collection of natural Pipi too!

Pipi Pearls.jpg

Alex Collins just arrived into town today. He owns a Tahitian pearl farm on Takaroa and brought a bunch of special pieces to do a live stream from our office tomorrow. I thought he was only bringing Tahitians, but he brought his collection of natural Pipi too!

View attachment 468043
Will any pipis be offered for sale?? What a beautiful collection!

View attachment 468043
Would love to know about the status of the Pipi fisheries.

Yes...
PipiDrop.png

Thg larger of the two lots from Alex Collins will remain ‘in-house’. Current thinking is that we’ll get them out at Pearls by the Bay, try to determine a setting or two that would complement our other pipi pieces. I’m also curious to see the off-color pearls up close, from the photo they don’t appear to have gemological value. From Tongareva we were never offered darker colors. Am hoping to discover if that reflects the origin or if they were typically removed/discarded by the locals.

Last edited:
From Tongareva we were never offered darker colors
IMG_0606.jpg

…and suddenly we are presented with this Poe Pipi ring! Including two quite darkish-colored pearls, with lovely lustre. The source is impeccable. Ben Bergman was raised on Tongareva/Penryhn as his family resided there from the 1960s to 1990s specifically to harvest and ship Poe Pipi. Upon seeing the ring I asked Ben for a definitive reply on Poe Pipi colors, which I will paste here. That lot from Alex Collins runs the gamut and should close a circle in my Poe Pipi collecting experience.

…the darker colours in the Pipi are unusual, but from time to time, they did occur. In terms of colour, pale gold was the most frequent occurrence, then there is a multitude of colours, darker golds, some with green shades - there was also bronze peach and orange tones, silver, cream, occasionally a darker grey / black shade. The old pipi shell beds have gone now, but there is some re-growth showing.

Would love to know about the status of the Pipi fisheries.
P. maculata were considered a nuisance species. IUCN Red List Status, CMS and CITES status list these as un-evaluated.

Overall, the fishery is minor while the economic value is marginal. Given their ability to thrive as intertidal, epifaunal or benthic creatures suggest
strong genetic diversity and resilience.

Interestingly, with changes in climate, mean temperature and salinity, Akoya oysters have been recently listed as "invasive" in the Nansha Islands.

Wang and Chen [13], P. maculata was the sole species of the genus Pinctada found in
the sea area surrounding the Nansha Islands. However, a recent sampling conducted at
Mischief Reef revealed that P. fucata was also present (Figure S1). We found that P. fucata
tended to aggregate in groups at coral reefs and attach to the nets of aquaculture cages.
According to the observations of local fishermen, the presence of P. fucata in Mischief
was initially recorded in 2016. While no substantial ecological or economic issues have
been reported due to the presence of P. fucata in the Mischief Reef area to date, it remains
unclear whether the introduction and potential proliferation of this species may cause any
detrimental effects to the reef’s ecosystem in the future. Because it may be considered a
potential invasive species to the Nansha Islands, it is necessary to describe the new record
of P.fucata in Mischief Reef and estimate the population genetic diversity and structure of
the P. fucata populations.

Likewise, since the mass collection of marine pearl oysters were replaced by farm operations, other species such as your beloved P. sterna have made considerable recoveries in natural settings.

Back